Confirmed Trade: [UTA/NJD] John Marino and 2024 5th (153OA) for 2024 2nd (49OA) and 2025 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
GA/60 really sucked last year, horrific level. I know NJ had issues with goaltending but those numbers are mind numbing.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Weird player. Was godly defensively for Pitt in his rookie year, fell off a bit and then looked like he bounced back in NJ only to fall off harder. Concerns about his family meddling and his attitude/coachability in Pitt near the end there.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Weird player. Was godly defensively for Pitt in his rookie year, fell off a bit and then looked like he bounced back in NJ only to fall off harder. Concerns about his family meddling and his attitude/coachability in Pitt near the end there.
Hes a good 2nd pairing defensman. With the injuries to Hamilton and Siegenthaler it forced Marino into playing too big of a role this season. Plus the Devils goaltending was super inconsistent.

Marino did look bad at portions of the season but he is still a good player. The Devils will miss him on the blueline but it's their greatest strength in the pipeline and they are going to sign defensmen on par or better Marino this off season.

End of the day Utah got a great player and Devils got useful picks and shed salary for bigger moves. Good deal for both sides.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How is that the best offer for a good Top-4 RHD on a solid value contract? That's insane.

He's a little inconsistent and seems to really need the right partner and system to thrive. But he's capable of playing a ton of quality, de facto matchup minutes. There are like a hundred and fifty teams that are looking for exactly that sort of RHD. And a couple second rounders gets it done? That's wild.
The trend back toward size trumping all has begun again. Marino isn't huge. So he's not highly valued. He had a poor season last year too.

But this is a fantastic deal for Utah. They will be competitive next season. Marino can play hard, defensive minutes.

I know the Canucks didn't really have the draft capital to match, but I would have liked them to be in on Marino. A perfect fit on the right side.

Reactions: biturbo19

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Return was what I expected. Mid 2nd round + an additional 2nd. Getting seconds for the next year is very valuable when it comes to the trade deadline, should Devils be in a position to make a needed move.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Return was what I expected. Mid 2nd round + an additional 2nd. Getting seconds for the next year is very valuable when it comes to the trade deadline, should Devils be in a position to make a needed move.

Good point. They now have 3 second round picks in 2025. Their own (assuming Jake Allen doesn't played 40 games), Winnipeg's (Toffoli trade), and Edmonton's via Utah (from yesterday's trade).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they used at least one of those this summer in a deal to upgrade at wing.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I like Marino. It think he had a rough year last year, but they were counting on him to make up for some of the lost offense after Douglas went down and Severson+Graves gone. He's best used as a stay-at-home guy, and the Devils wanted that goaltender really badly. Pretty good trade for both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad