Confirmed Trade: [UTA/NJD] John Marino and 2024 5th (153OA) for 2024 2nd (49OA) and 2025 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Getting two seconds for him is pretty fantastic. And now they're gonna just sign Pesce.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
22-23 Marino was a stud, 23-24 Marino was a dud. The average play is somewhere in between which is a good 3/4 in the NHL. Definitely need to get him a defensive dmen since he's a rover type at his peak. Hope he does well in Utah.

As for the NJ perspective, it's clear that their management is focused on fits for their top dmen picks. Nemec/Hughes can carry the top 4 in regards to generating offense. Need to find those guys defensive partners in the mold of Devon Toews where they allow you to rover, can chip in offense and doesn't skip a beat in the offensive zone while being a rock defensively. Now obviously, Devon Toews is a stud but the logic of Colorado picking him off the Islanders is probably what the Devils are focused on as well. Silayev pick last night highlights that as well but he's 2-3 years away. A guy like Pesce will stop gap their top 4 until Silayev walks onto the roster in a few years to do the same job.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I'm just here for the Devils fans that claimed they would absolutely not get picks back for Marino.
(most) Devils fans: "there's no way he's traded for just a 2nd round pick"

Devils: Trade him for two 2nd round picks

(most) of you idiots: "HAHAHAHAHA DEVILS FANS SO STUPID"

Reactions: MVP Zacha

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
22-23 Marino was a stud, 23-24 Marino was a dud. The average play is somewhere in between which is a good 3/4 in the NHL. Definitely need to get him a defensive dmen since he's a rover type at his peak. Hope he does well in Utah.

As for the NJ perspective, it's clear that their management is focused on fits for their top dmen picks. Nemec/Hughes can carry the top 4 in regards to generating offense. Need to find those guys defensive partners in the mold of Devon Toews where they allow you to rover, can chip in offense and doesn't skip a beat in the offensive zone while being a rock defensively. Now obviously, Devon Toews is a stud but the logic of Colorado picking him off the Islanders is probably what the Devils are focused on as well. Silayev pick last night highlights that as well but he's 2-3 years away. A guy like Pesce will stop gap their top 4 until Silayev walks onto the roster in a few years to do the same job.
McNabb and to a lesser extent, Hague I'd pass on Dillon

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Utah woke up today and decided to make all the moves the jokes that were the Coyotes version, wouldn't make and upgraded their Defense in a massive way.

Impressive.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Marino is better than half the 2nd pairing RD in the league, but somehow he's a 5/6?

lol okay...
If he is that good, which he is not, I think the Penguins and Devils would have hung on to him don't you think? I mean come on, the Pens traded him for Ty Smith...

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
It'll be interesting to see how the league operates with this franchise trying to win hockey games instead of being a garbage dump for bad contracts

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he is that good, which he is not, I think the Penguins and Devils would have hung on to him don't you think? I mean come on, the Pens traded him for Ty Smith...

If you think there's 40+ guys on this list better than him, then IDK what else to tell you. It's quite the ridiculous take. You're probably just not up to speed on the scarcity of 2nd pairing RHD (not meant to be an insult).

As for trade value - I suggest you look up Linus Ullmark and Tanner Jeannot. It's not always an accurate reflection of how good a player is. In this case, Tanev/Pesce/Roy certainly played a big role. A few teams will miss out on one of them and wish they had beaten Utah's offer.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

If you think there's 40+ guys on this list better than him, then IDK what else to tell you. It's quite the ridiculous take. You're probably just not up to speed on the scarcity of 2nd pairing RHD (not meant to be an insult).

As for trade value - I suggest you look up Linus Ullmark and Tanner Jeannot. It's not always an accurate reflection of how good a player is. In this case, Tanev/Pesce/Roy certainly played a big role. A few teams will miss out on one of them and wish they had beaten Utah's offer.
No insult taken, appreciate your opinion. We'll agree to disagree. My feeling is that if an up and coming team like the Devils feel strongly about their chances in the playoffs in the next couple of years (which I think they should), they would hold on to Marino if he were that valuable.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
No insult taken, appreciate your opinion. We'll agree to disagree. My feeling is that if an up and coming team like the Devils feel strongly about their chances in the playoffs in the next couple of years (which I think they should), they would hold on to Marino if he were that valuable.
As has been said over and over in this thread, because the Devils are apparently signing Pesce and are in on Dillon. There is a salary cap to consider.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How is that the best offer for a good Top-4 RHD on a solid value contract? That's insane.

He's a little inconsistent and seems to really need the right partner and system to thrive. But he's capable of playing a ton of quality, de facto matchup minutes. There are like a hundred and fifty teams that are looking for exactly that sort of RHD. And a couple second rounders gets it done? That's wild.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We'll give you Walman for the low price of just one 2nd rd draft pick.
Personally I would 100% do this. I think he's a good dman on a cheap contract, with term that walks us straight to Silayev. But I can't imagine any NHL team is the one to bite the bullet on paying for a guy who was a cap dump last week. Bad PR look

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad