SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

giphy.gif

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am not sure which is less believable, the chupacabra or the idea that this mythical creature Sorokin really exists. I hear rumors and myths about this Sorokin but I haven't seen him with my eyes yet

Reactions: Thrasymachus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To be honest this kind of flopping around is the worst thing about his game. From conventional goaltending perspective this is ugly.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
To be honest this kind of flopping around is the worst thing about his game. From conventional goaltending perspective this is ugly.
I have trouble believing that this kind of style would work in the NHL, unless he is well insulated, like Quick with the prime Kings. Otherwise, you'd just get, well Quick now...overreactive, overaggressive and constantly out of position that sometimes the opponent is just shooting into an empty net.

Then again, he'd be joining the Islanders, with Mitch Korn molding him. He could be something special.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
It felt like it took forever, but it's almost time to get him over finally.

Another great KHL season, the best goalie not currently playing NHL hockey.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It felt like it took forever, but it's almost time to get him over finally.

Another great KHL season, the best goalie not currently playing NHL hockey.
I’d put Shestyorkin slightly ahead right now only for the fact that his KHL success has already translated smoothly to the North American game.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I’d put Shestyorkin slightly ahead right now only for the fact that his KHL success has already translated smoothly to the North American game.
I'm biased here to favor Sorokin, but both are obviously very good goalies.

If Shestyorkin eventually gets the Rangers starting job, the NY-NY games are going to be very fun.

Reactions: Go Wings and koyvoo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not saying Sorokin will be anywhere near this good but tell that to Hasek

My first thought as well. Also, when equipment was a lot smaller.

some guys are just athletic freaks and extremely fast when tracking the puck. I prefer a goalie is is more controlled in his movements but the name
Of the game is to stop the puck and if that’s how Sorokin does it then so be it. As long as it works.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, it's like Bourdon said. If everything is perfect you get the good Quick or Hasek if you like. But if it's even a bit off, you get the bad Quick. The margins are very thin.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
How does he (and Shesterkin) compare to Askarov?

Shesty and Sorokin are two very different goaltenders in terms of style. At a glance, Sorokin is far more aggressive, and the risk is that it can bring him out of position.

An older article, but it breaks things down nicely:
Sorokin vs Shestyorkin: A Style Comparison - InGoal Magazine

Great write-up on Askarov - https://thehockeywriters.com/new-goaltenders-led-by-yaroslav-askarov/

As for Askarov, I can't really speak for him as I haven't seen him play, personally. Seems to be very composed and with a great knack for anticipating the play From what I've read, Askarov may compare more favorably to Shestyorkin than Sorokin, but I'm talking strictly in style. He seems to be more cerebral and is not aggressive like Sorokin, but he has that great, explosive athleticism that Sorokin does possess.

Just from watching clips, his skating and edgework are extremely good. For me, it's his anticipation that is phenomenal. Sorokin, at least when I watched him more closely back at the time, sometimes had edge issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad