Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
If the Leafs deal Marner they will lose the deal on paper. The most talented player will be leaving town that is how trade is portrayed by fans and media. If the deal Marner and can pick up 2 solid pieces and a prospect plus cap space then it would be worthwhile. Like the posters deal above with Ana works.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The point of doing this though is to fill the cupboard with quality prospects that can step into the line up and provide cheap ELC value while there are bigger contracts on the roster. The Leafs current need cap space to address the blue line. So that type of trade (not that I'm saying it's fair value, it's an example) is a way that it can do both. The cap space can then go into the blue line for someone like Brodie.

AP would be great but his contract leaves the Leafs in the same cap situation.

Add Miles Wood and a 2nd next year and I am down. They save another $500k on salary once they trade Willie. No to Brodie because if Pietro is only another $3M you sign the big guy Then send the pick they get for Mango to Seattle so they agree to take Engvall and the Leafs RD is AP, Severson, and Holl. But they might have to lose Kerfoot to balance the cap which is a bit of a problem as Engval would have replaced him. I don't think NJ can afford to retain on Severson after absorbing Marners salary but maybe if they lose Wood.

Its still not fair value for Marner but when do you ever get that? Its close, especially given the Leafs need to drop salary. Maybe Ty Smith instead of Severson which makes the money work with Pietrangelo signing and probably leaves Dermott on RD.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If the Leafs deal Marner they will lose the deal on paper. The most talented player will be leaving town that is how trade is portrayed by fans and media. If the deal Marner and can pick up 2 solid pieces and a prospect plus cap space then it would be worthwhile. Like the posters deal above with Ana works.
It depends on the return package plus will the Leafs be able to sign Pietra. Most importantly will the Leafs be winning.
If the the Leafs are winning and have a deep playoff run, that’s a win but some might still say Marner is doing well...and the debate will go on. However, if the Leafs win the Cup, any moves will be justify.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If you read my follow up, it's more the concept than the actual return. I wasn't trying to find a realistic package of picks/prospect. Rather just highlight what's feasible if Marner is moved for a package that includes futures.
Fair enough. My point is that what's feasible if Marner is traded for exceeds what you had outlined.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What is a fair package for any players?
Our conception is different than other fans and most definitely diff from MGT.
Most importantly, everything can only be judge by results-WINS.
Dubas can literally trade all picks and any players away but if the Leafs win the Cup, he deserves a statue at ACC.
Look at Nurse at Game 5 of the Finals last year, he got so much crap for his game MGT at the end of that game bc Raptors lost that game. If Raps won that game and celebrate the Championship, these same people will praise him for seeing something that nobody did and won with guts for taking a chance.....Like how he used Box-One as a def strategy.

Reactions: The Podium

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Leetch was probably the last one but his tenure was short lived.

But ya, AP would be a huge upgrade and I would 100% be on board if it took dealing Marner for futures to make it happen.
The thing that sucked about adding Leetch was that he was actually signed for the year after we acquired him, as were Roberts and Nieuwendyk. If the lockout hadn't happened that team would have had a full year of Leetch and likely another shot at the Cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing that sucked about adding Leetch was that he was actually signed for the year after we acquired him, as were Roberts and Nieuwendyk. If the lockout hadn't happened that team would have had a full year of Leetch and likely another shot at the Cup.
Leetch was amazing and I like to think the lockout stopped Leafs to winning a Cup, lol.
Imagine having Leetch for a year, what a treat that would be for us.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So this isn't surprising or anything, but Mirtle said on the Athletic today that for the first time, Leafs internally are frustrated with Andersen. His sense is the Leafs will for sure look at the goalie market, but it's possible he is brought back, but he will be doing a 60-40 split with Campbell.
Also as of now, Leafs have no plans to break up their big 4, but that could change.
Here is what Mirtle said pertaining to Willy.

"I do not believe he will be dealt this offseason. But I also believe if the Leafs conclude their offseason game plan meetings and decide on radical change, moving him for the right return could be on the table. The right return, in this case, would be an elite, established option on the blue line.

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think if anyone goes for a RHD it should be kap imo. He's a great penalty killer and I love his speed but he hasn't shown that he can play well above the 3rd line..

Yeah I still like his physical tools and potential more than anything he has actually done. Certainly if they are keeping the top two right wingers he leaves the smallest hole, especially with Barabanov coming. Oilers would love a fast right shot to play with McDavid but not sure what they have that the Leafs need (not Larsson). Move him for value wherever and sign a UFA defenseman.. I would like to deal Kerfoot as well but they need a cheaper c to replace him and there aren't a ton.

Reactions: grapes55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Even if they contemplated moving one of the big 4, I highly doubt that there would be leaks about it to the press. I'm not sure how this team moves forward, without one of them going, and reallocating some cap... love to be proven wrong.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So this isn't surprising or anything, but Mirtle said on the Athletic today that for the first time, Leafs internally are frustrated with Andersen. His sense is the Leafs will for sure look at the goalie market, but it's possible he is brought back, but he will be doing a 60-40 split with Campbell.
Also as of now, Leafs have no plans to break up their big 4, but that could change.
Here is what Mirtle said pertaining to Willy.

"I do not believe he will be dealt this offseason. But I also believe if the Leafs conclude their offseason game plan meetings and decide on radical change, moving him for the right return could be on the table. The right return, in this case, would be an elite, established option on the blue line.
Pretty interesting stuff.
When you project forward, there’s some significant holes to fill.
The D.
If there’s a way to get a legit top pair D, you can fill the rest of the D side pretty reasonably from within. If not, you’re looking at a solid fit for Reilly and a predictably strong third pair. Gotta start phasing Lili in; make a decision on Dermott; find out what ya got with Lehtonen, but he’s looking a one and done kinda option most likely ; start phasing Rasmus in. The shape for next year is uncertain, the year after....less so.
Andersen’s contract status makes this year look fine, but not the year after (Woll and Scott are reaches at that point) and I don’t wanna see more good assets walk for nothing.
The cupboards could use more picks and depth. Especially a C with upside. Where are those coming from?
Lots of stuff up in the air that could go soooo many ways.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
So the hope here is picks, Mccann or Murray I guess right? Because that would mean Freddie/Kerfoot are moved for picks also.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
To say that the Leafs and Pens are working on a trade for Kapanen, does that suggest he's the most established part of the deal and the return is pick/prospect based? Guess we'll see if anything comes from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad