Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JVR is probably our most valuable trade piece because of his contract.

I don't want to trade our premium pieces for non-elite players.

If we trade JVR... I want a top 10 first round pick. Trade him straight up for New Jersey's 6th OA for example.

I would expect them to add to that!

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
JVR is probably our most valuable trade piece because of his contract.

I don't want to trade our premium pieces for non-elite players.

If we trade JVR... I want a top 10 first round pick. Trade him straight up for New Jersey's 6th OA for example.

I agree 100%
Jvr for a top 10 pick
Kessel should get us a top 10 pick
Dion could be a late first
Kadri plus could be a top 15 first

If it were up to me i would **** n piledge the first round this year.
If we trade dion and keep the 24 pick then id even trade
Bernier for a 1st. Edmonton or some other late first.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I agree 100%
Jvr for a top 10 pick

Wow, you are going to be reeeeally disappointed in a couple weeks :laugh:

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I dont expect all those guys to be gone at or before the draft but its what they should do if they really want to change the culture.
All of the those moves are possible and yes the team would suck for a few seasons but come one you dont think that pain would be worth that influx of top end talent?

Seriosly think about it

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Perhaps but it's what most of us either secretly or openly would absolutely love to see.

Of course, but it's not a realistic expectation. It's rare enough for one team in the top 10 to trade away their pick for a veteran let alone two teams doing it. Any teams that will want Kessel or JvR are likely going to be contenders with late picks.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not bad. The flip side is he might catch fire with Kadri and win us some games. Top-3 pick turns into a top-10 pick.
Sorry, I mean flip ROR, with serious money retained for more assets.

Count me among those who would move JVR for a high pick, Kessel for a package that includes a high pick, Bernier too if it's for a decent pick.

If any prospects are coming back in these deals, I'd think it makes most sense for them to be junior aged, in Europe or college. Marlies roster has three lines of decent prospects right now, but less likely to transition there in the next year (AJ and Toninato and Donaghey) than should be graduating to the Leafs.

There seems to be a timeline....a lot of current Marlies should start breaking through by the tail end of this year, or more likely the start of next. High picks this year would start then too, and the year after.

The other's rumored to be on the outs (Bozak, Lupul) I could see moved in time for multiple picks, later ones (2nd-5th rounders) over multiple drafts.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Carolina will trade #5 for the right deal and if we eat semins contract
Nj would probably trade #6 for jvr
And im sure edmonton would give us #16 for bernier
Phaneuf for 19 weiss and whoever
And kessel easily gets us another puck in a package

We would have 4,5,6,?,16,19,24
Giddy the f up
Thats a rebuild with a cut through the core
Marner,hanifin,provorov,konecny,kylington,samsonov.
Id start carving shannys walk of fame statue myself

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Giddy the f up

Would be very nice to have, but no chance that happens.

Realistically, the most that you could expect is 4. And that's the most that has ever been traded:

Colorado - 1998, 4 1st round picks
Boston -1970, 4 1st round picks

You have more luck trying to get 2nd rounders.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Giddy the f up

I still don't see NJ's pick as being available. They need young talent more than ever now. But Carolina's #5, Columbus's #8, and a ton of mid-round picks are available IMO. Florida, Dallas, LA, Edmonton's 16th, Detriot, Winnipeg, etc. All could move for a JVR, Gardiner, Phaneuf, etc.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
As the days go by im starting to feel more and more like we arent going to be able to unload kessel this offseason. I do not see a team that is a good enough fit, to pay for the pricetag that comes along with phil.Its also very hard as the cap is barely going up and teams are looking to sign their players going forward. I think this summer we will see phaneuf go to detroit, JVR go somewhere in a sweet deal (very cost effective, great young support player),and bozak. I think we are going to hold off until we can get the best possible trade for kessel, as he is going to be our most valuable piece which will be sold off in this rebuild.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
As the days go by im starting to feel more and more like we arent going to be able to unload kessel this offseason. I do not see a team that is a good enough fit, to pay for the pricetag that comes along with phil.Its also very hard as the cap is barely going up and teams are looking to sign their players going forward. I think this summer we will see phaneuf go to detroit, JVR go somewhere in a sweet deal (very cost effective, great young support player),and bozak. I think we are going to hold off until we can get the best possible trade for kessel, as he is going to be our most valuable piece which will be sold off in this rebuild.

100% disagree. Talk has never been higher of his departure and I think it's almost an inevitability. It takes simply a returning cap dump for teams to absorb Kessel and thankfully most teams have at least one bad contract that they can send. Don't think he'll go to Florida though... I can see Sharp heading there.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
100% disagree. Talk has never been higher of his departure and I think it's almost an inevitability. It takes simply a returning cap dump for teams to absorb Kessel and thankfully most teams have at least one bad contract that they can send. Don't think he'll go to Florida though... I can see Sharp heading there.

Yes the talk has been high for sure,but this isnt an indicator on if there have been significant trade offers or not, But there is obviously intrest(as there would be). It is as expected that People and the media are talking as the leafs star player is on the trading block. I think that if the leafs wanted to deal kessel they could do it today or whenever they want, but i think the key is that they believe it is crucial to get a good return on him. The only way i can see a trade this summer is if they didnt like kessel so much that they just want to get rid of him for whatever. Other than that i dont see kessel getting full value on the current market for a various amount of reasons.I would agree with you that his departure is inevitable but i just dont think it will be this summer.

What team do you think will be able to give full value for kessel, while having the short term and long term cap space to keep him?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

It's difficult I can understand but you can not rule it out

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A few weeks ago I was expecting Kessel to be another year before moving him in the next offseason, by id say given the significant media chatter in recent days something is up with him. Won't be surprised to see him gone before the draft.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
A few weeks ago I was expecting Kessel to be another year before moving him in the next offseason, by id say given the significant media chatter in recent days something is up with him. Won't be surprised to see him gone before the draft.

The people who are running our team are finally smart and calculated...

Anyone who knows anything about building a winner knows Kessel has to go and it would be beneficial to snag another top pick in this draft as it is loaded in the top 11 with cornerstone players.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yes the talk has been high for sure,but this isnt an indicator on if there have been significant trade offers or not, But there is obviously intrest(as there would be). It is as expected that People and the media are talking as the leafs star player is on the trading block. I think that if the leafs wanted to deal kessel they could do it today or whenever they want, but i think the key is that they believe it is crucial to get a good return on him. The only way i can see a trade this summer is if they didnt like kessel so much that they just want to get rid of him for whatever. Other than that i dont see kessel getting full value on the current market for a various amount of reasons.I would agree with you that his departure is inevitable but i just dont think it will be this summer.

What team do you think will be able to give full value for kessel, while having the short term and long term cap space to keep him?

I could see Columbus (Hartnell, Anisimov), Dallas (Hemsky), Carolina (Semin), Minnesota (Backstrom & Cooke), LA (Richards), Washington (Laich), Vancouver (Burrows, Vrbata), Winnipeg (though he's not likely to waive to go there), and even Tampa Bay (Ohlund, Killorn) all having pretty serious interest. New York may be another place both Long Island and the Rags. Sather loves to get his name in the hat when it comes to stars.

Depending on what we take back, of course.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I agree 100%
Jvr for a top 10 pick

So, we should end up with 5 - 7 1st rounders then? Does that sound about right?

baconbacon

Sep 29, 2011
My plan for Toronto involving 3 trades.

Trade #1
TO-LA
Horton, prospect (contract dump) & 24th ov for Richards, Weal & 13th ov

Toronto gets the better prospect, better pick and saves real $ by taking Richards on the cap. LA fixes their cap situation at a high expense but still get a pick in the first and take on no cap dumps.

Trade #2
TO-CAR
Bozak, b prospect (Leivo/Leipsic etc) or 2nd 2016 & 13th overall for Semin & 5th overall

Bozak saves Carolina $8+ million over the next 3 years, while making Rask expendable for someone like Gormely. Carolina gets a good prospect/pick for their shallow prospect pool. Its basically 5th ov for $8 million dollars, a prospect a tier or so below 5ov (Roy?) & a 2nd/equivalent prospect.

Trade #3
TO-DET
Phaneuf, Biggs & 2015 3rd for either:
Weiss, Smith, Mantha and 2016 2nd/Ouellet
or
Weiss, Smith, Pulks & 2015 1st

Detroit gets the player they covet as well as a prospect they once did. They also get an early third and they have expressed interest in getting another pick in this draft. They give up more than they were willing at the deadline but that wasn't enough. Looking at Tampa, a team they took to 7, in the finals Holland could think that shoring up their d could give them enough to make 1 last run with Z and Dats.

Leave the draft with Hanifin #4, Marner #5 & 1 of Mantha/19ov. 3 great future pieces to add to Reilly and Nylander to form our new core.

Next years lineup
(RFAs and UFAs term and salary in brackets beside player name)

JVR-Kadri(3-5@$4-5)-Kessel
Lupul-Weiss-Semin
Komarov-Richards-Panik (2-3 @ $1.5-2)
Devane-Holland-Kozun (1-2@750k)
Cleary (1@$1)

Reilly-Polak
Gardiner-Smith (2@ $1.5)
Percy-Robidas
? (cheap ufa option/marlie)

Bernier (4-5@$4+)
Reimer

This lineup will be under the cap. Reimer, Polak, among other ufas can be replaced cheaper next season and will probably be traded come deadline. We'll have 700k in buyouts off the books. With the cap going up we'll have enough money to sign our RFAs, namely Reilly.

Furthermore, Robidas could be moved. With one year remaining @ $3 million a team needing to make the floor, who needs a veteran presence on the blueline, would be interested. He could be replaced internally as could other sellable assets (e.g. Hanifin replacing Gardiner, Nylander/Marner replacing Lupul, Gauthier replacing Holland etc.).

Also big $ players like Semin & Weiss, depending on a return to form, could be moved with salary retained. Kessels salary will be less than his cap hit making him more attractive. Etc.

Babcock gets one more season with most of the old core to see who stays or goes.

We could even make a play for ROR in free agency if we move a large salary player out for assets.

That or we use our money & capspace to make more deals like the previous.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad