Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Am I missing something or is Cam Talbot not a true starter in the NHL? I mean he has put up a string of good games in relief but does he have the mental/physical capacity to be a starter?

I'd say no. But then again, Edmonton has made silly decisions in the past, watch them do it again...

But it's "ridiculous" to give 16th overall+ for a top pairing defenseman on a fair contract... Right.

Silly fans... They don't know how to hockey :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Perhaps. Though when was the last time an NHL team took back 10+ million in a single trade?

But I'd certainly agree that both Kessel and Dion would be good fits with the Ducks

Game changers. Would put them over the top for sure.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet, teams looking for defence are also eyeing the Los Angeles Kings’ AHL franchise, the Manchester Monarchs. Is it Los Angeles for Colin Miller and Derek Forbort, or somewhere else?

Also, as Toronto continues to investigate the market for Phil Kessel, there is doubt that the Nashville Predators and Florida Panthers are going to be in the race. The Predators are one year away from new contracts for Filip Forsberg and Seth Jones. There is doubt they will be able to handle the winger’s $8M when you add that to their other business. The Panthers are not a cap team, and are working on an extension for Jonathan Huberdeau. Still to come are Aleksander Barkov and Aaron Ekblad.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/

1. Teams looking for defence are also eyeing the Kings’ AHL franchise, Manchester. The Monarchs won the Calder Cup on Saturday with a 2-1 Game 5 victory over Utica. “Colin Miller is ready to play in the NHL now,” said one NHL exec. Miller, 21, a fifth-rounder in 2012, was third in regular-season scoring for Manchester with 19 goals and 52 points in 70 games. He had 10 points in 19 playoff games. The other is 22-year-old Derek Forbort, taken 15th overall in 2010. There have been mixed reviews in the past, but he impressed in this run. Is it Los Angeles for Miller and Forbort, or somewhere else?

14. As Toronto continues to investigate the market for Phil Kessel, there is doubt two teams I thought were potential landing spots are going to be in the race. The first is Nashville, which heavily pursued Kessel when Boston was ready to let go. The Predators are one year away from new contracts for Filip Forsberg and Seth Jones. There is doubt they will be able to handle the winger’s $8M when you add that to their other business. (One exec refused to believe Nashville would be out, so he can spend the rest of my life telling me if I’m wrong.) The other is Florida. Kind of the same situation. The Panthers are not a cap team, and are working on an extension for Jonathan Huberdeau. Still to come are Aleksander Barkov and Aaron Ekblad. That last one will be hefty.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
According to Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet, teams looking for defence are also eyeing the Los Angeles Kings’ AHL franchise, the Manchester Monarchs. Is it Los Angeles for Colin Miller and Derek Forbort, or somewhere else?

Also, as Toronto continues to investigate the market for Phil Kessel, there is doubt that the Nashville Predators and Florida Panthers are going to be in the race. The Predators are one year away from new contracts for Filip Forsberg and Seth Jones. There is doubt they will be able to handle the winger’s $8M when you add that to their other business. The Panthers are not a cap team, and are working on an extension for Jonathan Huberdeau. Still to come are Aleksander Barkov and Aaron Ekblad.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/

Not exactly earthbreaking. Nashville was never considered a in the top-5 and Florida does have an internal cap. Florida could easily shift to absorb Kessel though IMO. I don't see that as a dealbreaker, just a consideration.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Not exactly earthbreaking. Nashville was never considered a in the top-5 and Florida does have an internal cap. Florida could easily shift to absorb Kessel though IMO. I don't see that as a dealbreaker, just a consideration.

Exactly. Find me a cheaper way to add 80+ points to your team without spending more than 8mil and without giving away more than Trochek+11th, because I'm really not seeing a better option. Cheap scorers are gonna cost at least one of Florida's untouchables, and relying on free agency lands you a 50 point Stastny for 7mil.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Exactly. Find me a cheaper way to add 80+ points to your team without spending more than 8mil and without giving away more than Trochek+11th, because I'm really not seeing a better option. Cheap scorers are gonna cost at least one of Florida's untouchables, and relying on free agency lands you a 50 point Stastny for 7mil.

Kulikov's making $4.5M, could easily see him included in a deal. Kulikov, 11th OA, Matheson/Trochek for Kessel. Not too much of a stretch.

Swayze*

They gave bolland 5.5 and jokinen 4.

Theres a deal to be done if required.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
IMO, he's like Ben Scrivens.

So worse than Reimer and not worth what he's going to get paid. Sounds like another nightmare for Edmonton.

Maybe Chia likes Reimer. He's played against him enough, he knows how good he is.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So worse than Reimer and not worth what he's going to get paid. Sounds like another nightmare for Edmonton.

Maybe Chia likes Reimer. He's played against him enough, he knows how good he is.

Damn, so no chance at a deal then.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Not talked about, but I think Kessel would be a good fit in Detroit especially if their 1st and Mantha are in play. With Datsyuk and Zetterberg, plus some of the young kids coming up, he would fit right in and give them an elite scorer. They also have been after a RHD for a while.

What about a huge deal like

To Detroit
Kessel, Polak

To Leafs
Weiss, Smith, Mantha, Bertuzzi, 2015 1st

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I had a hilarious thought. With all the cap dumps we are slated to have can you imagine we end up with...

Semin, Grabovski, Lecavalier, Richards.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I had a hilarious thought. With all the cap dumps we are slated to have can you imagine we end up with...

If we take these kind of cap dumps... I at least want to get a premium piece in return. If we take Semin, we need the 5th OA. If we take Lecavalier, we need the 7th OA.

I'm not interested in taking on bad contracts for later first/2nd round picks and non-elite prospects.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I would be pumped if this was 7 years ago! haha

The team would be embarrassing if this was the case though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Even with the raise next year, I would still take Gudbranson. He's tougher to come by than what Kulikov would give you.

I agree. I want Gudbranson. Worst thing, he's a strong and cost effective 2nd pairing defenseman to pair with Gardiner/Percy. Best case, he's a strong top pairing defenseman to pair with Rielly.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Compared to many other teams the worst wings players will have good possession numbers because they are a great possession team. You have to compare them to teammates to see who is the driver and who is the passenger. He's not very good.

I used http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/ to compare Smith to his teammates and he has without a doubt the best possession numbers of all the Red Wings D, including Kronwall. From what I can tell my limited understanding is that Smith is the Red Wings top possession and shot suppressing dman. Stats-wise, he looks like a poor-man's Jake Gardiner. Very polarizing players

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I used http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/ to compare Smith to his teammates and he has without a doubt the best possession numbers of all the Red Wings D, including Kronwall. From what I can tell my limited understanding is that Smith is the Red Wings top possession and shot suppressing dman. Stats-wise, he looks like a poor-man's Jake Gardiner. Very polarizing players

People like to think that because he was scratched a bunch by Babs that he's garbage, but I remember Babs talking about him saying when he's on he's top-4 material. Guy still has upside.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
People like to think that because he was scratched a bunch by Babs that he's garbage, but I remember Babs talking about him saying when he's on he's top-4 material. Guy still has upside.

It's also different when you're trying to win in the playoffs, you have to go with what's working. Not much time to make changes and wait for people to get out of a slump.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Offseason gameplan

Kessel + 24 + Granberg to Fla for Hubs + 11 + Petro

- Probably the maximum possible value Leafs could get for Kessel. Cats upgrade from Huberdeau to Kessel and downgrade on a pick and a prospect. Pairing Kessel with Barkov or Bjugstad gives them a formidable top 6 in the East without taking much else off their roster. Fla's top 4 RHD are set for the next decade, and granberg will make a decent replacement for Petrovic as the bottom pairing RD in the future. Leafs get a young star in the making in Hubs who can provide our top 6 with a ton of skill right away. Petrovic is a mobile right handed defender with size and a mean streak. Mock drafts I've seen have Zacha going 11, but you are guaranteed a great prospect regardless of who drops out of the top ten.

Phanuef + Mckegg to Det for Mantha + Weiss + Smith

- Rumored deal since the TDL. Wings acquiesce on Mantha for the minute-logging physical D. Detroit fan on the main board said their prospect pool could use another C since they are shallow behind Larkin so I threw in Mckegg.

Bozak to the Avs for 2nd round pick (40)

- Avs may trade O'reilly for that missing big time D, leafs stay away from that headache but offer up Bozak to fill the empty spot. Leafs get a pick that has a ton of possibilities depending on how the first round goes down. I really like the prospects in the 20 - 50 range.

Lupul + Devane to Mtl for P.A Parenteau + Bournival + 2016 3rd round conditional pick (becomes a 2nd if Lupul hits X gp or pts)
- Mtl upgrades their scoring without much risk. Worst case they give up a 3rd rounder, a cap dump, and a bottom 6 player they can easily replace. Leafs have reportedly been interested in bournival's relentless motor and he could make an interesting option on our bottom 6. P.A. takes Lupul's role on the Leafs, if he has a good season, we could potentially trade him again at the TDL for futures.

Draft
4 - Hanifin
11 - Zacha
40 - Beauvillier/Meloche/Juulson (depending on who drops)

F.A. Signings:
Franson - 4y X 5m - Stop gap RD to play on the first pairing. Franson has expressed interest in returning to Toronto. Gives D prospects (like Hanifin if we draft him) time to develop properly. Can play PP & PK as needed and I think Babcock could get the best out of the giant dman with the good shot.

Soderberg - 4y X 4.5m - Victim of the Bruins cap crunch is a victory for the Leafs. Soderberg is a reliable middle 6 forward with good habits. Having Soderberg gives the leafs 4 years to develop their own top 6 forward. Whether that is drafting one which should take about 3-4 years to develop properly (back to Jr, marlies, etc) or giving Nylander more time to first dominate the AHL, then starting him out in the NHL on the wing before moving him over to C. Either way, a reliable 2-way who can play 2nd or 3rd line C is a useful asset.

JVR - Kadri - Huberdeau
Paranteau - Soderberg - Panik
Komorov - Holland - Bournival
Booth - Weiss/Carrick - Frattin

Reilly - Franson
Gardiner - Polak
Smith - Petro
Percy - Robidas*

Bernier/Reimer

* - Hoping one of the marlies that wins the job in camp as 7th D. Potentially Percy. I would try to move Robidas for any kind of pick/prospect but doubt we'd get any takers. Use him as the 7th D if he can't be moved
** - if Holland really impresses or develops well, he and Soderberg can be switched.

Probably another bottom 10 finish, but there is a lot of good youth in the line-up and the prospect cupboard would be well stocked

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Anyone interested in taking a flier on Grigorenko?

Depends on the cost. Buffalo is only looking for picks & young players and we should be holding onto them. Grigs is a great player with all the tools (size, speed, skill, hockey IQ) when he has a fire under his *** but the problem is that he needs to stay motivated and get consistent top 9 ice time. He has a tendency to "disappear" for large stretches of the game. He would also be vulnerable to waivers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad