GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
The Walman trade and the lack of UFA aggressiveness makes you question the direction we're headed.
Those two things are connected.

Wings are short on cap space, and had two ship out a contract.

Wibgs are short on cap space and can't be aggressive in free agency.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
We have the cap may as well do Tarasenko 1 year deal. I’d take Nate Schmidt as a 3rd pair league min after getting bought out.

Still would really push a trade for Necas. Berggren and or 2025 1st. I dont know what the deal would look like.

Cat-Larkin-Kane
Tarasenko-Necas-Raymond
Danielson/Kasper-Compher- Fabbri
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
Veleno

Ed-Seider(Don’t care, run them together)
Gus-Chiarot
Schmidt-Petry/Mattaa

Talbot/Husso

Necas
Is
Not
A
Center

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Guys, stop dreaming of players getting their last paydays. This league is for youngsters. We gonna be more than fine with Danielsson and Kasper in the lineup.

We just need to trade Holl and dump Petry.

I understand he is not the best player anymore. But what is with everyone's fascination with dumping Petry? He has one year remaining, and while he is overpaid by about 1 to 1.5m he is pretty much someone who you would want sitting in a #7 slot on d. He is a vet pro who will stay in shape and be ready for action as injuries open slots up. Provided our D are not ravaged by injuries which would mean putting him on the second pairing or higher he doesn't look out of place on the third pairing.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I understand he is not the best player anymore. But what is with everyone's fascination with dumping Petry? He has one year remaining, and while he is overpaid by about 1 to 1.5m he is pretty much someone who you would want sitting in a #7 slot on d. He is a vet pro who will stay in shape and be ready for action as injuries open slots up. Provided our D are not ravaged by injuries which would mean putting him on the second pairing or higher he doesn't look out of place on the third pairing.
I think it’s just because we have so many bottom pair d-men.

I think it’s just because we have so many bottom pair d-men.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
it's so funny to me when people look at the contracts that have already been signed and say, 'i would have done that deal or that deal. wtf stevie?'

like, how do you think these negotiations happen? do you think that every agent in the business calls yzerman immediately before signing a contract and says, 'hey steve. this is the best offer we've gotten but we were wondering if you can match it? my client would even be willing to go a little less on the term or aav because he already got the red wings logo tattooed on the tip of his p*nis and it's going to be a long, awkward 5 years walking around another locker room with that thing hanging out. please get back to us at your earliest convenience, we're willing to wait until the last day of preseason to hear back from you.'

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
You very well could be right. I'm not 100% after a long day but I am sure he came here same year we signed Holl.
Yup, came here a while after. It was the Erik Karlsson trade that fueled the Petry trade. First Petry was traded retained to MTL, and then MTL retained in a trade to us. We didn't give up much for him.

If it had happened before Holl, I don't think Holl would have been signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad