GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Won't every teams youth grow or is that just restricted to Detroit?

Does every team have youth? With potential of Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson who will make bigger projected jumps that some lesser youth?

And if they do, many teams did lose depth because their youth is getting expensive. Or, they are throwing moronic contracts to UFAs.

Wings youth is getting also expensive. But Wings did lose only Perron. And got full-season still-ELITE-Kane to replace his production.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Does every team have youth? With potential of Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson who will make bigger projected jumps that some lesser youth?

And if they do, many teams did lose depth because their youth is getting expensive. Or, they are throwing moronic contracts to UFAs.

Wings youth is getting also expensive. But Wings did lose only Perron. And got full-season still-ELITE-Kane to replace his production.

Kane is definitely not elite anymore.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Actually Detroit has one of the oldest rosters in the league, so most other teams have even more youth. It's also worth noting that Detroit had some of the best shooting % luck in the NHL last season so some regression is to be expected. Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson are great pieces, but hardly in the upper echelon of the NHL when it comes to building a team around.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Actually Detroit has one of the oldest rosters in the league, so most other teams have even more youth. It's also worth noting that Detroit had some of the best shooting % luck in the NHL last season so some regression is to be expected. Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson are great pieces, but hardly in the upper echelon of the NHL when it comes to building a team around.
oooh, watch out - The Stans will get their pitchforks out.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Exactly the contract I was hoping for. And from Holland no less. Sigh
Holland um 'parted ways' with Edmonton. Otherwise Skinner would have been given a 5 year contract north of $5 million with a no movement clause. I kid.

Does anyone know if Zegras is truly on the market? I see posts stating this as fact but I haven't followed the situation closely. Unfortunately their fans seem to want a RD which isn't something we can really swing. But damn, a young skilled center would be pretty bad ass.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Ottawa and Buffalo's NHL youth just in our division is better than ours and both teams overall are younger and honestly, Mtl is not that far behind either...

I would take Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson or Dahlin, Power and Thompson ahead of Seider,Raymond and Edvinsson and that is not and should not be knock on any of them..

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Even during the part of the season that Edvinsson played our blue line was clearly not good enough. I don't disagree with you that he'll improve and help our team but if the only improvement on our blue line is Edvinsson's internal growth, I think that's both disappointing from a team-growth point of view and also just an unfair situation to put a kid like that in.
No less fair than what seider and Larkin got

And what about the other guys who didn’t even reach the honor of sitting in the press box in your scenario?
F them

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
If there’s one thing I can appreciate it’s the flexibility we continue to have moving forward. But I honestly wonder what year will be the year we inject true elite talent to supplement what we already have. I get it, we’re not fully ready as a team to make that step off the back of Seider Raymond Larkin Debrincat and Edvinsson. At least that’s how I feel Yzerman feels. But what window are we operating on? The remaining years of Dylan Larkin? What he has a good 5 years of productivity left? Or are we operating on the hope and wish of Seider, Raymond and Edvinsson being the Elite backbone of this team to build on? That’s probably another 8-10 years of prime years we can rely on. At some point we need to put all the chips on the table. I just wonder when it will be.

Reactions: Fynn

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Ottawa and Buffalo's NHL youth just in our division is better than ours and both teams overall are younger and honestly, Mtl is not that far behind either...

I would take Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson or Dahlin, Power and Thompson ahead of Seider,Raymond and Edvinsson and that is not and should not be knock on any of them..

Ottawa is imploding right on schedule. Buffalo will still fall apart...

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Restart rebuild?
ce88ad97720655cbe352a5bdfe6170f9ddac4960.gifv

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
I think Detroit knows that they're really not very far away from having to start over on the rebuild.
Definitely, keep drafting and ditching prospects until there's at least four top three picks.

If you're sick of the team not making the playoffs now, how is anyone going to be happier by extending at least five years?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If opening night starts without an upgrade on D I'll be disappointed. But not going to doom on July 1. Still think Wings are set up well to pull off a big trade - and I'm really really glad no dumb long term moves were made today.
Yeah, that's where I'm at right now. Something has to give. We have 4 LD that I'm comfortable with giving a 2nd pairing workload. No RD behind Mo.

XXX - Mo
Ed - XXX
Chiarot - Petry

Gustafsson
Maatta
Johansson
Holl

I don't see good partners for Mo or Ed. Best option as is, is probably themselves. But that just moves Chiarot - Petry back into pairing 2 duty. And... we can't run that back. The lack of a 2RD is crippling. With a solid 2nd pairing we can slide someone up with Mo, but that 2nd pair can't feature Petry or Holl. And we can't go back to Chiarot - Mo for a 3rd consecutive season.

At this point... if the Trouba thing isn't dead, Trouba at $5.5M for future considerations is about all we can hope for.

Reactions: schuelma24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad