Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He was 40% on the PK in the regular season too. Maybe it’s a statistical fluke but just off memory he loses a lot of faceoffs in bunches on the PK when they get stuck on a long shift. The more he loses the longer they get stuck and the worse he does.
This is Kampf right? He takes most of his faceoffs in the D zone where he is at a disadvantage. Not sure what the impact is but you can't compare his win rate to averages, or centers mostly taking O zone draws.

Does this mean his evaluation of the team was that the forward group is fine as-is?
Think it's more, this is as fine as the forward group can be with Marner and JT in tact.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The time to trade/dump Jarnkrok was before free agency started. Now that everything has passed, I honestly don't see any need to trade Jarnkrok anymore (unless it's part of a bigger trade package). There's no better options out there

At the end of the day, he's still a productive middle 6/top 9 player who is great defensively.

The only guy that needs to get dumped is Kampf

The only issue with Jarnkrok is he is just completely ineffective in the playoffs.

Losing him would hit the PK and some stability in the top 9 and while I agree free agency is thin, moving him out for a draft pick opens up some cap space and a roster spot for either a younger player on an ELC or a cheap UFA that could fill in. If neither work you still have that asset to spend at the deadline as well.

Like Robertson, maybe Cowan or Grebyonkin, Minten, Steeves, etc.

Centre options are even more limited so I'm even more hesitant on moving Kampf.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is Kampf right? He takes most of his faceoffs in the D zone where he is at a disadvantage. Not sure what the impact is but you can't compare his win rate to averages, or centers mostly taking O zone draws.

Think it's more, this is as fine as the forward group can be with Marner and JT in tact.

Losing 60% of the faceoffs we take on the PK is probably a contributing factor to the PK being a liability no?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Losing 60% of the faceoffs we take on the PK is probably a contributing factor to the PK being a liability no?
Sure, that ain't good, but Kampf is not a PK liability, and he's good at taking faceoffs. He generally wins more than he loses despite being at a disadvantage most of the time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

23 faceoffs man. Talk about invalid statistical sample size. Seriously bad.

The only issue with Jarnkrok is he is just completely ineffective in the playoffs.

Losing him would hit the PK and some stability in the top 9 and while I agree free agency is thin, moving him out for a draft pick opens up some cap space and a roster spot for either a younger player on an ELC or a cheap UFA that could fill in. If neither work you still have that asset to spend at the deadline as well.

Free agency isn’t just thin, it’s non-existent now. It’s better to keep him, he’ll help in the regular season, and if someone replaces him internally or externally, we can move him then. No rush. Playoffs don’t start for nine months or something.

Reactions: conFABulator

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
23 faceoffs man. Talk about invalid statistical sample size. Seriously bad.

Free agency isn’t just thin, it’s non-existent now. It’s better to keep him, he’ll help in the regular season, and if someone replaces him internally or externally, we can move him then. No rush. Playoffs don’t start for nine months or something.

He had an entire regular season at the same rate, that too small of a sample?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If one or more of Cowan/Minten or the Russian kid distinguishes themselves in camp, we'll have to open up a slot for them, ideally in a middle-6 role. Jarn would be the best candidate imo. He may also bring back a pick (I'd peg his value at around a 3rd), and replacing his salary with a min one allows us to accrue cap dollars during the season, allowing us room at the deadline to add a guy.

But that decision could be made later in the year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would prefer to go and get a handful of young reclamation guys with scoring punch and see if you can find a Clarke MacArthur out of the bunch.

In terms of fourth line and center fill, I wonder if Nick Cousins or a Sammy Blais could be a fit. Cousins is a 4th line jerk with personality and an Ontario guy. Sammy Blais is a Blues/Berube cup winning guy. His offense seems to have dried up completely but he's only 28.

Also a bit of a random player, but I wonder if Jasper Weatherby is worth looking at. He's a 6'4" mutant forward with mediocre AHL stats and was a Sharks guy, don't know where I saw him but thought maybe the Sharks were trying to build another Barclay Goodrow out of him:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I would prefer to go and get a handful of young reclamation guys with scoring punch and see if you can find a Clarke MacArthur out of the bunch.

In terms of fourth line and center fill, I wonder if Nick Cousins or a Sammy Blais could be a fit. Cousins is a 4th line jerk with personality and an Ontario guy. Sammy Blais is a Blues/Berube cup winning guy. His offense seems to have dried up completely but he's only 28.

Also a bit of a random player, but I wonder if Jasper Weatherby is worth looking at. He's a 6'4" mutant forward with mediocre AHL stats and was a Sharks guy, don't know where I saw him but thought maybe the Sharks were trying to build another Barclay Goodrow out of him:

I don't think the Cousins juice is worth the squeeze - his production doesn't out-weight the negative attention that he brings.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’d call up Dubas and see if he wants Jarnkrok + Kampf in exchange for Bunting back

That doesn't work very well at all for them. They may have heavy interest in Robertson though. I just don't know if they have anything worthy really.

Part of me would do something around O'Connor. He's a pending UFA and like 4 years older, but he's a bit like McMann. Not sure I see any other avenue with them.

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We can still make moves if we move out Jarnkrok/Kampf/Liljegren.

Liljegren feels hard to move with Hakanpas health concerns unless we add another RHD though.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
At the same rate? Did you even check because that’s pure BS. He was right around other terrible C’s like Barkov and Kopitar in the regular season at over 46%.

His last 4 years are 40, 46, 40, 46%, the difference between the 40 and 46 years is 50 extra lost faceoffs on the year or just over 1 extra faceoff every 2 games. Whoever you want to compare him to, he’s losing more than he’s winning. I don’t think it’s a big deal, 46 to 52% is the same extra win every 2 games but it’s weird to pretend he’s some sort of PK wizard. He’s ok and we don’t have a good plan B but upgrading on him should be a priority especially at his price tag considering how mediocre he is at the niche jobs he’s trusted with.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not overly concerned about the loss of of Bertuzzi because the Leafs have Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson and all scored at least 14 goals last season and I think they can all hit 20 next year assuming they all come out of camp healthy.

And yes I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he also has no leverage so f*** him.

But if they do decide to trade him there are still some interesting forward options still available.

Dominik Kubalik didn't go well in Ottawa but scored 30 in Chicago and 20 in Detroit plus 17 goals in the shortened 56 game season

Daniel Sprong 18 goals last season 20 the year before and he did it in limited icetime.

Vrana, there is just so much talent with Vrana.

Roslovic, Roslovic can #lay center which allows Domi to move to the wing and solve the top 6 winger issue.

Reactions: jaric1862

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1. Trade Kampf for nothing/pick
2. Trade Robertson+Minten for Ross Colton.

Knies--Colton--Janrkork would be a fantastic 3rd line capable of 50 goals.

uijt.png

Note* Can only carry one of Reaves/Hakanpaa at a time. But Hakanpaa might be on LTIR.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

I do like Tanev signing even if his age represents some risk as is his injury history.

I would have preferred we went after Zadarov over OEL (even if we overpaid) to give this team some added toughness when playoff rolls around.

Boston’s dcorp will be very physical and punishing and that is a scary thought.

I like Tanev, I would have preferred just going to 6M on Roy and I know why they chose OEL, for some offense from the blueline but Zadorov would also have been preferable, you have more tread on the tires with both those players.

Rielly-Roy
Zadorov-McCabe
Benoit-X

Gustafsson or Ghost would have been good at the X spot

Move Liljegren's 3M

I'm not the GM though but I struggle to see how we'd beat Boston, they added Zadorov/Lindholm, we changed none of our top guys that couldn't get the job done last year.

Reactions: Petrus

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not overly concerned about the loss of of Bertuzzi because the Leafs have Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson and all scored at least 14 goals last season and I think they can all hit 20 next year assuming they all come out of camp healthy.

And yes I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he also has no leverage so f*** him.

But if they do decide to trade him there are still some interesting forward options still available.

Dominik Kubalik didn't go well in Ottawa but scored 30 in Chicago and 20 in Detroit plus 17 goals in the shortened 56 game season

Daniel Sprong 18 goals last season 20 the year before and he did it in limited icetime.

Vrana, there is just so much talent with Vrana.

Roslovic, Roslovic can #lay center which allows Domi to move to the wing and solve the top 6 winger issue.

Roslovic signed yesterday with Carolina.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Roslovic signed yesterday with Carolina.

Yeah I saw that after I made the post, regardless like I said I have full confidence that assuming they stay Healthy, Knies, Robertson and Bobby Mac can all hit 20 goals.

I mean they hit 15, 15 and 14 goals last year and two of them did it in 56 games so assuming they all come out of camp healthy I don't think 20 goals is a stretch.

And I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he's Nick Robertson he has no leverage so f*** him what happens with Robertson will be Toronto's call not his.

I would still like to Jarnkrok traded and either Kubalik or Sprong brought in though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I saw that after I made the post, regardless like I said I have full confidence that assuming they stay Healthy, Knies, Robertson and Bobby Mac can all hit 20 goals.

I mean they hit 15, 15 and 14 goals last year and two of them did it in 56 games so assuming they all come out of camp healthy I don't think 20 goals is a stretch.

And I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he's Nick Robertson he has no leverage so f*** him what happens with Robertson will be Toronto's call not his.

I would still like to Jarnkrok traded and either Kubalik or Sprong brought in though

If Jarnkrok is out, you need someone that can PK coming in.

Robertson won't be on the team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad