Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sprong has two years of 40 points +. His ask is likely beyond what we can pay. I'm thinking he's looking at $3-4 million... or at least hoping for it. He's last man standing, which is both good and bad for him.... I don't think we can really afford Sprong, if his ask is at the higher end. Sure, we could afford what Jarnkrok is getting, and then move Jarnkrok, but I don't think that is competitive.

Colorado is short Centers without trading one away. No chance they trade Colton IMO.

Maybe not now but it is already July 4th, with every day that goes by Sprong's asking price gets lower, what if he's still waiting in a week? 2 weeks?, a month?

we have already gotten to the point where most teams have spent there money, at least the ones he probably wants to go to.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's fair. Overall I just don't think the depth pieces signed are going to be able to push out what we currently have but we'll see. I'm a fan of Rifai so I value him a lot higher. Timmins showed to be pretty good before obviously having to catch up to being injured for most of the season.

I could see Pittsburgh having a decent amount of interest here for Timmins though. They only have 2 RD, zero prospects or young players as far as I know. Dubas with the obvious connection there.
Timmins for Broz? :naughty:

Maybe not now but it is already July 4th, with every day that goes by Sprong's asking price gets lower, what if he's still waiting in a week? 2 weeks?, a month?

we have already gotten to the point where most teams have spent there money, at least the ones he probably wants to go to.
That's the funny thing... being the only guy of note left... the demand for him might be going up. Maybe not though... who knows, but nearly every fan base is talking about him, so it's likely there are a few teams talking about him too.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I like Tanev, I would have preferred just going to 6M on Roy and I know why they chose OEL, for some offense from the blueline but Zadorov would also have been preferable, you have more tread on the tires with both those players.

Rielly-Roy
Zadorov-McCabe
Benoit-X

Gustafsson or Ghost would have been good at the X spot

Move Liljegren's 3M

I'm not the GM though but I struggle to see how we'd beat Boston, they added Zadorov/Lindholm, we changed none of our top guys that couldn't get the job done last year.

Boston added 2 good player for sure...

but the leafs fixed a biggest weakness than Boston. Toronto D was awful last year and 1 of 10 worst They was playing with 5/6/7th on both of their 1st and 2nd defensive pair

Tanev is a huge upgrape over Boosh or Schenn on top pairing and he's in my mind the best D defensively amount ufa and the best d defensive side they had in like 20 years.

OEL is a guy who's able to bring a two way game. Kind of dmen leafs didn't really had and really need. He's not the sexiest name but for me he fit perfectly in what leafs need.

unstead of playing with 2 3rd pair dmen in their top 4 and playing in the wrong chair, they will have 4 real top D in their top 4 and for me it's a huge difference.

The most upgrade team is not the team who signing the biggest name but the team who fix their biggest weakness and in that part leafs is a biggest winner than Boston.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Sprong signed with Vegas for $1.8M.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
He's still capable and and shown NHL quality. He probably should be given a shot somewhere else with a clearer path but without much value, it's not gonna happen. Timmins' biggest issue is staying healthy, which is a theme with a few of our players. He looked fantastic in training camp last year.

And while not impossible, expecting someone like Myers or Mattinen to come in and do better is not something I would be very optimistic about.
he put up a few points, and the stats looked good, but his on-ice performance is not NHL quality in his own zone, and never has been. He'd be a 4th line forward if he wasnt a RHD (in theory)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Sprong has two years of 40 points +. His ask is likely beyond what we can pay. I'm thinking he's looking at $3-4 million... or at least hoping for it. He's last man standing, which is both good and bad for him.... I don't think we can really afford Sprong, if his ask is at the higher end. Sure, we could afford what Jarnkrok is getting, and then move Jarnkrok, but I don't think that is competitive.

Colorado is short Centers without trading one away. No chance they trade Colton IMO.
Maybe Sprong takes the ‘play with superstars’ incentive to cash in later.
I could see a line with Domi and AM, and pray coach gets the wingers to play some D.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Timmins for Broz? :naughty:

That's the funny thing... being the only guy of note left... the demand for him might be going up. Maybe not though... who knows, but nearly every fan base is talking about him, so it's likely there are a few teams talking about him too.

I don't think Sprong is the only guy left, I'd also look into Kubalik.

Kubalik has seasons of 30, 17,15, 20 and 10 goals, the 17 goal season came in the 56 game season.

Thing about Kubalik is he's coming off a 2 year deal that paid him 2.5 million per year.

The 1st year of that deal was his 20 goal season with Detroit, this past season he had 10.

Because his most recent season is a 10 goal season, and because it's already July 4th I wonder if he'd come in at the same price or less than Jarnkrok, and again if not July 4th, what if he's sitting there July 11th?, July 18th?, August 4th?

I'm also tempted by the pure talent of Vrana, but that would be a PTO, I would not give Vrana a guaranteed contract but I would bring him to camp.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
really feels like guys don't want to sign with leafs lol
Market, taxes, not legit contenders , i get it
big season coming up to turn this core around
Leafs have money. Tanev got $27m and we will be lucky if he gives us 3 solid years before he turns into Brodie. OEL got $14m a year after being bought out by the Canucks. Give them money and they will come.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think Sprong is the only guy left, I'd also look into Kubalik.

Kubalik has seasons of 30, 17,15, 20 and 10 goals, the 17 goal season came in the 56 game season.

Thing about Kubalik is he's coming off a 2 year deal that paid him 2.5 million per year.

The 1st year of that deal was his 20 goal season with Detroit, this past season he had 10.

Because his most recent season is a 10 goal season, and because it's already July 4th I wonder if he'd come in at the same price or less than Jarnkrok, and again if not July 4th, what if he's sitting there July 11th?, July 18th?, August 4th?

I'm also tempted by the pure talent of Vrana, but that would be a PTO, I would not give Vrana a guaranteed contract but I would bring him to camp.

Kubalik looked checked out and bad with Ottawa last season, like really bad. He seems very inconsistent but could be worth the gamble. I really wanted him a few years back. I don't think you'd have to go above what Olofsson got with Vegas either.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If Kokkonen shows equally yeah he should get priority as a prospect, but as much as I liked Rifai in his limited action last year he's the same age as Mattinen, only a year younger than Myers. Definitely should be included in the 775k group of depth, but he's classed as one of them rather than as a prospect IMO.

Timmins- I'm not sure I like what he does to the dpairs if he slots in. Provides some puckmoving but really needs to be sheltered- I'm not sure if he's worth the extra cap over the 775-850 guys. If we have it sure, let the best man win- but I don't think it's a given that he will be that, and I don't think it's a priority to set aside 1.1m for the 7D spot to enable him. Between him an Reaves thats 2.45 on day 1 extra skaters
I’m fine with Rifai and Timmins as 7 and 8.

Fun fact: Rifai was a late start to pro hockey. He’s UFA next year.

Definition of an average player.
Yeah, but the definition of an average player that has enough talent to jump from 40 to 60 pts playing with AM

Same goes for Sprong.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kubalik looked checked out and bad with Ottawa last season, like really bad. He seems very inconsistent but could be worth the gamble. I really wanted him a few years back. I don't think you'd have to go above what Olofsson got with Vegas either.

I’d gamble on Kubalik.. he has an opportunity to rebuild some value, and on a better team he may be more motivated.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I know it's boring to wait, but don't forget, every year there's a good player or two that teams try to sneak through waivers at the start of the season. That may be the time to strike.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

A behind-the-scenes look at the offseason so far in Pittsburgh shows Kyle Dubas falling flat on his face and failing to lock down any quality deals for the Penguins.​

Below, you'll see a video of Dubas talking about his free agency exploits without much notable excitement or vigor.

Penguins release embarrassing Kyle Dubas behind-the-scenes free agency video​

Kyle Dubas, who fumbled the ball in blooper reel fashion while in Toronto, he now looks to be doing the same in Pittsburgh.

Dubas, who was famously let go by the Maple Leafs after publicly showing signs of doubt and wavering commitment, has failed to add anyone of any real value in free agency this year, despite a clear Ownership directed mandate need to surround Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang with talent to allow them to make the best of their final years with the organization.

After missing the playoffs in 2023-24, the Penguins essentially substituted Kevin Hayes in for Reilly Smith, who was dealt to the New York Rangers this week, before signing forward Blake Lizzotte (LAK), defensemen Sebastian Aho (NYI) Matt Grzelcyk (BOS), Anthony Beavillier (CHI) , former Leaf Mac Holloway and a handful of other minor league players.

Obviously, free agency is a tough time for some teams. Desirable locations and larger paydays due to bidding wars often dictate how the chips fall, and for Dubas and the Pens, there weren't many interested parties in the end.

View attachment 892051

Nice to see Boy Wonder’s lap dog is still by his side……..

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Leafs have money. Tanev got $27m and we will be lucky if he gives us 3 solid years before he turns into Brodie. OEL got $14m a year after being bought out by the Canucks. Give them money and they will come.
Tanev cannot turn into Brodie ...Brodie was all about his skating ability and positioning, but, we was weak as a newborn.
Tanev on the other hand is more like Gio, he's just a great defender, and he uses his size and stick better too.
I think he'll play similar to Gio, but, hopefully not as long

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad