Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The reality is this team is first round fodder for the foreseeable future, so the outlook is poor. On paper, the roster is worse than last year.

I’m skeptical that the changes have improved our chances overall. According to management our team is right there. But the decisions leave a lot of doubt when it comes to realistic chances.

Another season is teed up to be forgettable. Congrats Kings fans, your cup tax is a decade of incompetence courtesy of BLuc.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Jim Hiller likes Motley Crue.

Also, I find the dad rock intro of Mayor's podcast annoying.
right as they were about to transition to the hiller talk, i went to go take a shit and heard that intro and probably had the best laugh i've ever had on a toilet

just pictured them at some horrible concert in their torn, bleached jeans and affliction shirts listening to that crap thinking how cool they were 30 years ago

Reactions: johnjm22

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
TO, Marner business. Maybe better in around the league. Looks like Utah & VGK have been named as interested. From Vegas, my guess is Pietrangelo for Marner with stuff added to balance. Theodore has 1 year left & Hanifin was just brought in.

Seems like Kempe would be a good fit for TO if they move Marner. Kempe has 2 seasons left before he hits 30 & needs a UFA contract. King's aren't doing anything before that.

Outside chance, would newly single Doughty want to escape a rebuild & go to TO? Marner would have to waive to come to LA.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
right as they were about to transition to the hiller talk, i went to go take a shit and heard that intro and probably had the best laugh i've ever had on a toilet

just pictured them at some horrible concert in their torn, bleached jeans and affliction shirts listening to that crap thinking how cool they were 30 years ago
It fits with the team of this year.

GQkkah2bIAAZJNZ

Also, I can't trust a man who likes Motely Crue but couldn't get into Metallica.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Okay so I agree Blake should absolutely no longer be the GM and agree this wasn't the best offseason the Kings could've had.... But let's look at it this way to offer a different perspective:

What were the 4 most common/major complaints about the Kings roster last season?
  • Team is too small & too soft
    • Added Jeannot, Foegele, and Edmundson - All players with decent/good size and Jeannot and Edmundson add some toughness
  • Not enough puck moving D-men / Not enough offense from the blue line
    • Let Roy walk so we now have room for Clarke and Spence to both be full time NHLers which should add more offense from the blue line
  • PLD disaster
    • Dished his ass while bringing back a goalie with starting potential in return
  • Not playing the kids enough (and when they did play the kids they'd often give them 7-8 mins on the 4th line)
    • Now we have a roster spot or two open for young players to hopefully take advantage of the opportunity

Whether you like the execution or not, Blake has VERY clearly addressed every single one of those points. Is our roster better or worse?? It's honestly tough to say as its very dependent on the youth taking steps forward and these additions clicking with the team. But at least the changes that were made seem to directly address the team's needs - Even if they weren't exactly the changes we all had in mind.
All must go, including ownership

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not to get everyone's hopes up, but you guys should take a look at all the names that are set to become free agents next summer.

It is quite possibly the deepest list of names that could potentially be available in the open market.

Now, I'd like to think that the team is leaving themselves enough room to take a run at one of the top names available, but we've seen how historically bad the organization has been in signing free agents, so probably best not to set ourselves up for disappointment.

For those curious as to how deep the 2025 crop of free agents is, here's a link:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
bolded is like.. the problem. we pulled the f***in chute at 1000ft but failed to understand that's the reason we lost. so we added 500 more horsepower....... and pulled the chute at 1000ft again

not hard to imagine a world where this team would literally right now, as we speak, be emerging from a relatively fast rebuild with a dallas-type RFA roster NHL-experienced and contributing. maybe lacking the goaltending cornerstone but with a truckload of talent. i'm not happy about that fact. i'm simultaneously happy that we have those other guys developing but that ain't enough for me to be happy with the grand scheme
I don’t disagree to some degree although the goaltenders have huge potential. Our long term future is tied to Clarke and Byfield to a large degree. Probably the short term too.

I’m trying not to focus on the past mistakes, I’m letting it go. I’m trying to look at the positives despite the BLuc failings and I’m going to enjoy what I can. Because you know what it’s not ‘that’ important.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Not to get everyone's hopes up, but you guys should take a look at all the names that are set to become free agents next summer.

It is quite possibly the deepest list of names that could potentially be available in the open market.

Now, I'd like to think that the team is leaving themselves enough room to take a run at one of the top names available, but we've seen how historically bad the organization has been in signing free agents, so probably best not to set ourselves up for disappointment.

For those curious as to how deep the 2025 crop of free agents is, here's a link:
I would let Gavrikov go and sign Chychrun.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The reality is this team is first round fodder for the foreseeable future, so the outlook is poor. On paper, the roster is worse than last year.

I’m skeptical that the changes have improved our chances overall. According to management our team is right there. But the decisions leave a lot of doubt when it comes to realistic chances.

Another season is teed up to be forgettable. Congrats Kings fans, your cup tax is a decade of incompetence courtesy of BLuc.
To be fair it was Luc that said we were ‘right there’ and even Blake looked uncomfortable when he said it. They’ve since tried to back him (Luc) on it but you’d expect them to circle the wagons. It was a dumb thing to say, at best.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I would let Gavrikov go and sign Chychrun.
Chychrun has no role on this team if Spence and Clarke are half the players I think they will be.

I believe McDavid is a free agent when Kopitar's contract ends.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I can't believe anyone would give any sort of congratulations and props to blake based off the moves made this year -- especially trading PLD and giving opportunities to the young guys. The latter, i'll believe it when i see it -- so stop with the THIS YEAR garbage.
PLD -- give me a break. i refuse to compliment him on that for obvious reasons. It's giving someone congratulations for sh$tting out poop that they willing ate.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
i honestly cringe at the sheer size of potentially disastrous mistakes Blake could make with that much free cap space lol
The Kings will already have a ridiculous amount of cap space next summer with Doughty and Kopitar still on the roster.

According to CapFriendly's projections, and with the assumption that the cap ceiling will rise to $92M in 2025, the Kings will have $31,725,000 in cap space to play with.

No doubt they will seek out at least one of the big names if they hit the open market.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
The Kings will already have a ridiculous amount of cap space next summer with Doughty and Kopitar still on the roster.

According to CapFriendly's projections, and with the assumption that the cap ceiling will rise to $92M in 2025, the Kings will have $31,725,000 in cap space to play with.

No doubt they will seek out at least one of the big names if they hit the open market.
That will be a lot lower once Byfield/Kaliyev/Spence/Gavrikov are resigned. Still, close to $20 million probably.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Wouldn't surprise me to hear that Raantanen is on the market right now, given Colorado's cap crisis.
Depends on what happens with Landeskog and Nichushkin. Are these guys ever coming back? That's 13M in cap.

With Sakic already spending 84M for this season, I assuming those guys won't be back this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad