Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It's funny. I said at the time of the draft that if he hits, he should be a decade-long + player in the league. I saw something the other day come out that predicted him having a 15-year career. Could totally see that if he keeps working hard to improve.

The physical skills are drool-worthy.

Reported to be the best defensive dman in the draft.

Best defensive d-man for sure and, far and away, the most athletically gifted of basically anyone. If he can be a 30-40 point player somehow, he'd end up as a top pairing guy.

High ceiling, high floor kind of pick if all works out.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
guy wrote a novel on the totality of asset transactions during the Drury era, but doesn't know the Rangers don't practice at MSG??
Seriously? I know the Rangers practice at Tarrytown, but thought the camp was at MSG. My mistake. You're hardly one to be throwing stones.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m absolutely stunned at the reactions in this thread. Emery was one of my favorite prospects this year and fulfills a really unique niche in the NHL: the 6’3”, elite-skating, shutdown RHD. I know Emery himself made the Miller comp, but it’s not a good one. Brandon Carlo is more appropriate, and ironically I think Emery is actually a potentially good partner for Miller.

The physical tools are immaculate, and his ability to suffocate plays in the defensive zone is wonderful. There’s a reason he was paired with Cole Hutson at the U18, and that’s that he’s the perfect partner for a guy who likes to roam. Emery will kill plays, make a good first pass, and has enough puck-handling ability to facilitate plays in the offensive zone (though he obviously isn’t a real offensive threat himself).

This guy is the type of player you find littered all over championship teams. He may not have huge potential, but he could absolutely be a #4 who stabilizing your middle pairing alongside a more adventurous offensive defenseman. Even if he doesn’t develop much more than what he is right now, he’s still very likely to play in the NHL and would become the sort of bottom pairing defensemen teams pay through the nose for at the trade deadline. I don’t know what more you could ask for at 30th overall.

I hope he can develop into Brandon Carlo type of defensive dman. After watching video, I see more of that than Miller.

Reactions: Barnaby and n8

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The nice thing for Ranger fans is that even if you don't have a FloHockey subscription you can still catch a few of his games shift by shift on YouTube. At least you can watch those and form your own opinion of the player...

...or you could subscribe to FloHockey and actually watch the games yourself 🤣

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
He wanted to know what it was like to score a goal
I hope he can develop into Brandon Carlo type of defensive dman. After watching video, I see more of that than Miller.
Ok, I like the Carlo comparison. I was trying to think of defensive defensemen who don't show up on the score sheet much but are still highly regarded. If Carlo can make it in the NHL with 6 assists in one season, so can Emery.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’m absolutely stunned at the reactions in this thread. Emery was one of my favorite prospects this year and fulfills a really unique niche in the NHL: the 6’3”, elite-skating, shutdown RHD. I know Emery himself made the Miller comp, but it’s not a good one. Brandon Carlo is more appropriate, and ironically I think Emery is actually a potentially good partner for Miller.

The physical tools are immaculate, and his ability to suffocate plays in the defensive zone is wonderful. There’s a reason he was paired with Cole Hutson at the U18, and that’s that he’s the perfect partner for a guy who likes to roam. Emery will kill plays, make a good first pass, and has enough puck-handling ability to facilitate plays in the offensive zone (though he obviously isn’t a real offensive threat himself).

This guy is the type of player you find littered all over championship teams. He may not have huge potential, but he could absolutely be a #4 who stabilizing your middle pairing alongside a more adventurous offensive defenseman. Even if he doesn’t develop much more than what he is right now, he’s still very likely to play in the NHL and would become the sort of bottom pairing defensemen teams pay through the nose for at the trade deadline. I don’t know what more you could ask for at 30th overall.
You and me both. Some of these people clearly have no clue what they're talking about. Th guy has the potential to be a decade + NHL player. May not be elite, but he has the potential to be an excellent player for sure.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You and me both. Some of these people clearly have no clue what they're talking about. Th guy has the potential to be a decade + NHL player. May not be elite, but he has the potential to be an excellent player for sure.
A better skating pre-injury Marc Staal, or for those who were fans in 1996: Jay McKee (the player Smith was going to pick that was traded for Verbeek and became Gigure).

Reactions: bhamill

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Emery finished first in the horizontal jump, vertical jump and no-arm jump.

His horizontal jump of 123 inches is the longest on record in NHL Combine history. He beat the rest of this year's field by at least 4.7 inches.

His vertical jump of 27.23 inches was 3.6 inches higher than second-place Jett Luchanko.

His no-arm jump of 23.57 inches was more than an inch higher than anyone else at the NHL Combine.

Emery also tested out with a body fat of 3.64%. The second-lowest was Ethan Procyszyn at 6.84%.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Emery finished first in the horizontal jump, vertical jump and no-arm jump.

His horizontal jump of 123 inches is the longest on record in NHL Combine history. He beat the rest of this year's field by at least 4.7 inches.

His vertical jump of 27.23 inches was 3.6 inches higher than second-place Jett Luchanko.

His no-arm jump of 23.57 inches was more than an inch higher than anyone else at the NHL Combine.

Emery also tested out with a body fat of 3.64%. The second-lowest was Ethan Procyszyn at 6.84%.
insane!!! he's a gym rat i love that we need that
Anyone have access to this content? Supposedly some concerning medical issue related revelation scared off a bunch of teams:

According to multiple sources, teams that had Emery higher on their rankings passed on the defender after learning about a medical issue at the draft combine in Buffalo. It should be noted that the medical condition didn’t stop Emery from performing well at the combine or continuing his offseason training program.
Anyone? Is this related to why he basically didnt play (only 6GP) in 2020-21? EDIT: NVM covid season, the whole CSSHL league got cancelled that year it looks

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
A better skating pre-injury Marc Staal, or for those who were fans in 1996: Jay McKee (the player Smith was going to pick that was traded for Verbeek and became Gigure).
Marc Staal was really damn good pre injury (and even post injury for awhile). A better skating pre injury Staal is a really good top pairing defenseman. I really think people forget how good Staal was. I certainly don’t want to limit Emery, but realistically his ceiling is probably an excellent 2nd pair defensive defenseman - which would be an awesome addition. I really like the pick.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's funny. I said at the time of the draft that if he hits, he should be a decade-long + player in the league. I saw something the other day come out that predicted him having a 15-year career. Could totally see that if he keeps working hard to improve.

The physical skills are drool-worthy.

Best defensive d-man for sure and, far and away, the most athletically gifted of basically anyone. If he can be a 30-40 point player somehow, he'd end up as a top pairing guy.

High ceiling, high floor kind of pick if all works out.
Not trying to be a wise guy, legitimately asking the question: can you think of a guy who had 6 pts in his draft year who became a 30-40 pt dman? Has that happened in the last 20 years? I like the player but I just don't see the potential for that sort of offense.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Anyone have access to this content? Supposedly some concerning medical issue related revelation scared off a bunch of teams:

Yeah, I heard about this as well. They said it's nothing life threatening, but some sort of medical condition...made me think of Kakko being diabetic...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad