Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It's funny. I said at the time of the draft that if he hits, he should be a decade-long + player in the league. I saw something the other day come out that predicted him having a 15-year career. Could totally see that if he keeps working hard to improve.

The physical skills are drool-worthy.

Reported to be the best defensive dman in the draft.

Best defensive d-man for sure and, far and away, the most athletically gifted of basically anyone. If he can be a 30-40 point player somehow, he'd end up as a top pairing guy.

High ceiling, high floor kind of pick if all works out.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
guy wrote a novel on the totality of asset transactions during the Drury era, but doesn't know the Rangers don't practice at MSG??
Seriously? I know the Rangers practice at Tarrytown, but thought the camp was at MSG. My mistake. You're hardly one to be throwing stones.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m absolutely stunned at the reactions in this thread. Emery was one of my favorite prospects this year and fulfills a really unique niche in the NHL: the 6’3”, elite-skating, shutdown RHD. I know Emery himself made the Miller comp, but it’s not a good one. Brandon Carlo is more appropriate, and ironically I think Emery is actually a potentially good partner for Miller.

The physical tools are immaculate, and his ability to suffocate plays in the defensive zone is wonderful. There’s a reason he was paired with Cole Hutson at the U18, and that’s that he’s the perfect partner for a guy who likes to roam. Emery will kill plays, make a good first pass, and has enough puck-handling ability to facilitate plays in the offensive zone (though he obviously isn’t a real offensive threat himself).

This guy is the type of player you find littered all over championship teams. He may not have huge potential, but he could absolutely be a #4 who stabilizing your middle pairing alongside a more adventurous offensive defenseman. Even if he doesn’t develop much more than what he is right now, he’s still very likely to play in the NHL and would become the sort of bottom pairing defensemen teams pay through the nose for at the trade deadline. I don’t know what more you could ask for at 30th overall.

I hope he can develop into Brandon Carlo type of defensive dman. After watching video, I see more of that than Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad