GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Zero interest in taking Trouba. I think he deserves to stay in NYC as per the trade protections he negotiated.

If teams give guys NMC and NTC they are agreeing to give that player agency over their future and cannot expect them to fold it because “your cap too high we want a shiny toy!!!”
He no longer has an NMC, he now has a modified NTC

You're right he deserves the protections he has negotiated, and he has not negotiated waiver protections in the last 2 years of his deal, if he wants to avoid being a cap casualty it's his responsibility to play well enough to justify his cap hit for NYR

If he REALLY wants to be baby about it we can claim him on waivers, he can refuse to report and we can come to terms on a mutual contract termination and then he's free sign wherever he pleases at market value, but I'm sure he'd prefer the $12 million he's owed in actual salary over the next 2 years

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Regardless of Trouba, I do appreciate that SJ is somehing of a boogie man for NTC waive threats. If you don't agree to waive for {other bad NHL situation}, San Jose has expressed interest in picking you up off of waivers.
artworks-000055884706-0but8a-t1080x1080.jpg

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I definitely don’t want to kidnap him now.
Yeah.

I have much sympathy for his wife. Residencies are a grind, and it's unreasonable to say that,6 years ago, Trouba and his wife should have accounted for having a baby that would have disrupted her career and caused this issue with NMC no longer being in effect. You want more people going into careers like medicine, and you want more of those people having kids.

Like Trouba is the only NHL player who has a family with commitments outside the game

I don't give a f***, kidnap him, kidnap him now

He no longer has an NMC, he now has a modified NTC

You're right he deserves the protections he has negotiated, and he has not negotiated waiver protections in the last 2 years of his deal, if he wants to avoid being a cap casualty it's his responsibility to play well enough to justify his cap hit for NYR

If he REALLY wants to be baby about it we can claim him on waivers, he can refuse to report and we can come to terms on a mutual contract termination and then he's free sign wherever he pleases at market value, but I'm sure he'd prefer the $12 million he's owed in actual salary over the next 2 years

Then, there is this understandable impulse. Say Trouba plays terribly; could the Rangers not move him because of his family "obligations"? Trouba isn't some regular Joe...he's getting paid obscene amounts of money, and if he doesn't like the terms of his contract he can agree to terminate it. You can't have the cake and also eat it!

Ultimately, I'd probably be against acquiring him because I can't imagine he'd be happy on the Sharks. If I am Drury, I might strike a handshake deal with Trouba where I tell him his play better improve, and if it doesn't, then next year Trouba agrees to completely waive his clause so that the Rangers can trade him anywhere.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah.

I have much sympathy for his wife. Residencies are a grind, and it's unreasonable to say that,6 years ago, Trouba and his wife should have accounted for having a baby that would have disrupted her career and caused this issue with NMC no longer being in effect. You want more people going into careers like medicine, and you want more of those people having kids.

Then, there is this understandable impulse. Say Trouba plays terribly; could the Rangers not move him because of his family "obligations"? Trouba isn't some regular Joe...he's getting paid obscene amounts of money, and if he doesn't like the terms of his contract he can agree to terminate it. You can't have the cake and also eat it!

Ultimately, I'd probably be against acquiring him because I can't imagine he'd be happy on the Sharks. If I am Drury, I might strike a handshake deal with Trouba where I tell him his play better improve, and if it doesn't, then next year Trouba agrees to completely waive his clause so that the Rangers can trade him anywhere.
If the Rangers decide to waive him and the Sharks claim him he can’t be mad at the Sharks. Just like Goodrow it would be the Rangers that he should be upset with. It also sounds like it wasn’t Trouba that blocked the trade to Detroit. Im guessing whatever asset they were getting from Detroit was not worth the cost of retaining $2 million.

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Please MG sign Adam Boqvist, 23, Swedish (Join the Swedish Mafia) former 1st rounder, RD, offensive defencemen and seems to be a good bet on PP.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Shayne Gostisbehere - 3x3.2
Sean Walker - 5x3.6
Alexandre Carrier - 3x3.75
Erik Gustafsson - 2x2
Erik Brannstrom - 1x900k
Nils Lundkvist - 1x1.25

This is why you don't draft a small offenseman 11th overall or in the 1st round in general tbh. You can usually sign a guy who's at least 90% as good on the open market for next to nothing. The league does not value this player profile and with good reason.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I'm on Tyson Barrie, Justin Schultz, Nate Schmidt and a younger Adam Boqvist watch, all of them have PP experience. Not the premium crop of the FA defence, but better players than what we have right now.
1-2 of these players in 1-2 year contracts will be good for the younger players. We need a lot more competition in that defensive department, but most importantly we need PP defencemen.

EDIT: I'm aware that MG might wanna go the trade route, but I think getting one of these players could guarantee that you have something to work with when the season begins.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm on Tyson Barrie, Justin Schultz, Nate Schmidt and a younger Adam Boqvist watch, all of them have PP experience. Not the premium crop of the FA defence, but better players than what we have right now.
1-2 of these players in 1-2 year contracts will be good for the younger players. We need a lot more competition in that defensive department, but most importantly we need PP defencemen.

EDIT: I'm aware that MG might wanna go the trade route, but I think getting one of these players could guarantee that you have something to work with when the season begins.
I'm all for Barrie or Schultz on a 1 year deal. As RH shots, assuming a low cap hit, they should both fetch a pick at the deadline with even a halfway decent season.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Shayne Gostisbehere - 3x3.2
Sean Walker - 5x3.6
Alexandre Carrier - 3x3.75
Erik Gustafsson - 2x2
Erik Brannstrom - 1x900k
Nils Lundkvist - 1x1.25

This is why you don't draft a small offenseman 11th overall or in the 1st round in general tbh. You can usually sign a guy who's at least 90% as good on the open market for next to nothing. The league does not value this player profile and with good reason.

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
...As confirmed by him being drafted in the 3rd round. Or being traded for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

One team decided he was worth $9.5 million a year. Coincidentally the same team that gave Trouba $8mil/yr and Goodrow $3.6.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
...As confirmed by him being drafted in the 3rd round. Or being traded for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

One team decided he was worth $9.5 million a year. Coincidentally the same team that gave Trouba $8mil/yr and Goodrow $3.6.

Excellent, soon we'll get Fox off waivers. Need to stay in the basement for a few more years so we're ready to pounce.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
If Grier can get a solid guy on a cheap one year deal, that would be ideal.

Schmidt: 1 yr 2M.
barrie: 2 yr, 3m per.
take a flyer on Deangelo?
Maybe Sprong at 2 yr 3M per?

At this point, I wouldn't want any UFA for more than 1-2 years.

The bigger question is can Grier acquire a quality guy? There are several teams in some cap trouble: VGK, WAS, CAR, EDM, TOR, NAS, NYI, PHI, among others are either over or very tight.

I would be very happy taking a flyer on sprong. Hes a 20G winger and did so with just 12 min of ice at just 27 years old. Then, they can bury G smith, then let Bailey, Bordy, Smith, and Graf start in the minors on their two way deals. And not sign Grundstrom or bury him too. Assuming no cooch:

Then you get

Mack-Toffoli-Sprong (Mack with a 20 G and 30G wingers seems a good fit)
Eklund-Grandlund-zetterlund (The Lund line was the only bright spot last year)
Wennberg-Kunin-Goodrow (Defensive 3rd line?)
Sturm-Kostin-Dyllandrea (filler... though if Kostin or Dyllandrea stop up they could move up the lineup)

Cooch waits in the wings. Also, it gives the kids big ice time in the AHL to start the year. Whoever rises to the top there gets the call up. I noticed that all the great sharks of the past started in the A. Cooch, pavs, Seto, Clowe, cheech, Timo, etc. They all began their pro career in the AHL. Only a small handful (Pickles, hertl...) went straight into the NHL from camp. So, I dont mind watching Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Edstrom, Bordy, Gushkin, Cardwell, etc compete in the A for a spot. Either way, Id really love to get one more proven 20 goal scorer in here.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
the more I analyze, the more I wonder about kostin and Dylladrea. Kostin was -10 in 19 games, which is awful, but he also put up 10 pts in those 19 games. Dyllandrea had 28 pts as a 22 year old (8th among stars forwards).

I wonder if either of those has top 9 potential this coming year? Could either become a legit player? I guess Zadina was the equivalent question last year and that didnt pan out. I wonder if either of those two work out.

I supposed we're grasping at straws. I suppose they are just gunna suck no matter what :)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
the more I analyze, the more I wonder about kostin and Dylladrea. Kostin was -10 in 19 games, which is awful, but he also put up 10 pts in those 19 games. Dyllandrea had 28 pts as a 22 year old (8th among stars forwards).

I wonder if either of those has top 9 potential this coming year? Could either become a legit player? I guess Zadina was the equivalent question last year and that didnt pan out. I wonder if either of those two work out.

I supposed we're grasping at straws. I suppose they are just gunna suck no matter what :)
I don't expect either to be key contributors. Dellandrea I have somewhat more hope for, as a bottom six defensive winger; Kostin to me seems more likely to be a big guy with a little offensive skill, but not enough to really work in the league, and not enough defense to contribute in a bottom six role.

We have plenty of opportunities for them to give us half a season to see whether they can elevate their games, though. I expect both are really reclamation projects that likely don't work out.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Possible but unlikely Smith starts the year in the AHL based on interviews
I would be surprised too, and without sprong, he would have space, so I assume hell start in the majors.

I just wonder if its best to start in the A, espcially if we are gunna suck anyways? I mean, if we are resigned to a bottom 5 finish again, then it seems usefull to have the kids at least spend the first month or two plying their trade. Of those previous shark stars, most started in the A, but got midseason call up. pavs played 16 games in the A, dominating before getting called up. Cooch dominated 42 games before getting the call. Timo played 33 games.

I wouldnt mind Smith to play 20 games or so, and if he crushes it, then bring him up in november.

I suppose it likely doesnt matter all that much.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Fox was drafted late because everyone knew he only wanted to go to New York.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Fox was drafted late because everyone knew he only wanted to go to New York.
I don't think that was clear until after Calgary drafted him. He was then included as essentially a throw-in in the Hamilton/Lindholm deal because everyone knew he only wanted to go to New York.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
If Grier can get a solid guy on a cheap one year deal, that would be ideal.

Schmidt: 1 yr 2M.
barrie: 2 yr, 3m per.
take a flyer on Deangelo?
Maybe Sprong at 2 yr 3M per?

At this point, I wouldn't want any UFA for more than 1-2 years.

The bigger question is can Grier acquire a quality guy? There are several teams in some cap trouble: VGK, WAS, CAR, EDM, TOR, NAS, NYI, PHI, among others are either over or very tight.

I would be very happy taking a flyer on sprong. Hes a 20G winger and did so with just 12 min of ice at just 27 years old. Then, they can bury G smith, then let Bailey, Bordy, Smith, and Graf start in the minors on their two way deals. And not sign Grundstrom or bury him too. Assuming no cooch:

Then you get

Mack-Toffoli-Sprong (Mack with a 20 G and 30G wingers seems a good fit)
Eklund-Grandlund-zetterlund (The Lund line was the only bright spot last year)
Wennberg-Kunin-Goodrow (Defensive 3rd line?)
Sturm-Kostin-Dyllandrea (filler... though if Kostin or Dyllandrea stop up they could move up the lineup)

Cooch waits in the wings. Also, it gives the kids big ice time in the AHL to start the year. Whoever rises to the top there gets the call up. I noticed that all the great sharks of the past started in the A. Cooch, pavs, Seto, Clowe, cheech, Timo, etc. They all began their pro career in the AHL. Only a small handful (Pickles, hertl...) went straight into the NHL from camp. So, I dont mind watching Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Edstrom, Bordy, Gushkin, Cardwell, etc compete in the A for a spot. Either way, Id really love to get one more proven 20 goal scorer in here.
Deangelo is an absloute cancer I wouldn’t want that guy anywhere near smith or Celebrini

Reactions: TealManV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad