GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Is there a RFA the Sharks can swoop in and do an offer sheet?
AAV
$2,290,458 - $4,580,9171 Second Round Pick
Philip Broberg/Dylan Holloway would be couple of candidates, but unlikely since it could burn some bridges between Edmonton. MG probably doesn't offer sheet anyone since he wants to have good relationships because he is still a new GM.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I'm on team Tyson. Honestly, I thought he was who Grier was going to target before we acquired Addison. Going into this season, we need at least one more competent puck-mover.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Didn’t realize Klingberg was still available might be worth the risk
Not the worse bet, I would actually go for both Klingberg and Barrie to really bolster that RD department. We aren't winning a lot more games but the offence could enjoy some puck moving D.

Walman - Barrie
Ferraro/Mukh - Klingberg (probably gets injured at some point, bring Rutta then)
Thrun - Benning
Rutta/Vlasic

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I’m hoping the offer sheet comes when the sharks are doing well enough that losing first rounders won’t matter. Right now it’s not neccassry

I agree, just throwing out a name in response to the question. Also, I wouldn't want to do any RFA offer sheet that offered a first back, ever. OP was asking about the range where the comp is a second round pick. So the player better be worth our 2025 2nd.

Perfetti was just the first name that came to mind. I'd prefer to target RFA's where no draft pick compensation is required (about $1.5M AAV), against team that has cap issues. Before July 1, I thought about Dorofeyev from VGK, but he just signed a 2 year deal with VGK for $1.8M AAV, which is more than I would have offered since the Sharks can't offer an $1.8M AAV offer sheet because the compensation required includes picks the Sharks do not have.

Last edited:

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Most of the newly former Sharks haven't gotten any love, so far this off-season. I think that puts to rest any debate over what value they held at the trade deadline.

Reactions: coooldude

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I agree, just throwing out a name in response to the question. Also, I wouldn't want to do any RFA offer sheet that offered a first back, ever. OP was asking about the range where the comp is a second round pick. So the player better be worth our 2025 2nd.

Perfetti was just the first name that came to mind. I'd prefer to target RFA's where no draft pick compensation is required (about $1.5M AAV), against team that has cap issues. Before July 1, I thought about Dorofeyev from VGK, but he just signed a 2 year deal with VGK for $1.8M AAV, which is more than I would have offered since the Sharks can't offer an $1.8M AAV offer sheet because the compensation required includes picks the Sharks do not have.
I was just commenting, nothing implied. My gut is telling me that Griers going to be In position. 3/4 years down the road where he’s going to need a stud winger/dman/ or goalie and he’s going to be forced to offer sheet one to fill that need. But that’s typical of all eventual cup contenders in terms of filling needs wether it be trade or UFA, I just see Grier going offer sheet

Reactions: ChompChomp

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Not the worse bet, I would actually go for both Klingberg and Barrie to really bolster that RD department. We aren't winning a lot more games but the offence could enjoy some puck moving D.

Walman - Barrie
Ferraro/Mukh - Klingberg (probably gets injured at some point, bring Rutta then)
Thrun - Benning
Rutta/Vlasic
Klingberg after hip surgery....maybe if he accepts league minimum.

I'd prefer to go for Justin Schultz over Barrie or Klingberg honestly.

Both klingberg and barrie bounced around all over the place and looked like crap everywhere they went. Be it a contender or a rebuilder

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I’m hoping the offer sheet comes when the sharks are doing well enough that losing first rounders won’t matter. Right now it’s not neccassry
It would be a low 2nd (as in in the 30s) likely, which has a low chance of yielding a player as good as Perfetti.

I've been beating this drum for a while, it just seems so easy. Obv Perfetti has to agree...

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Klingberg after hip surgery....maybe if he accepts league minimum.

I'd prefer to go for Justin Schultz over Barrie or Klingberg honestly.

Both klingberg and barrie bounced around all over the place and looked like crap everywhere they went. Be it a contender or a rebuilder
Klingberg had season ending hip surgery so that might have had an impact on how he looked. Of course Backstrom had hip surgery and was never the same so low risk low reward though

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Sharks sign C Andrew Poturalski to a two-year, two-way contract.

30 years old, right-handed, small, last two years with Coachella Valley, before that Chicago Wolves (with Warsofsky). AHL-quality playmaker, replacing Carpenter in the system?

I debated starting a thread on him but didn't think anyone would care.

If this is a Cuda signing (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), you're selling him short with that description: Poturalski won the Sollenberger Trophy (the AHL's Art Ross) in 2021 and 2022. I said the Barracuda were going to need a 1C, and that's exactly what he is. He's one of the most prolific scorers in the league over the last few seasons.

The signings made over the last couple days for the Barracuda are massive. I'd like one more winger, but I cannot complain one bit about the guys that've been brought in.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I debated starting a thread on him but didn't think anyone would care.

If this is a Cuda signing (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), you're selling him short with that description: Poturalski won the Sollenberger Trophy (the AHL's Art Ross) in 2021 and 2022. I said the Barracuda were going to need a 1C, and that's exactly what he is. He's one of the most prolific scorers in the league over the last few seasons.

The signings made over the last couple days for the Barracuda are massive. I'd like one more winger, but I cannot complain one bit about the guys that've been brought in.
Feels like the Cuda were finally given the green light to sign top tier AHLers with salaries that are actually worth living in SJ for. Love to see it.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Feels like the Cuda were finally given the green light to sign top tier AHLers with salaries that are actually worth living in SJ for. Love to see it.

Another part of this that I’m surprised didn’t click with me at first: Poturalski put up his best statistical season in 2021-22 with the Chicago Wolves. 101 points in 73 games. They won the Calder Cup that year.

Chicago’s coach that year? Warsofsky.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Another part of this that I’m surprised didn’t click with me at first: Poturalski put up his best statistical season in 2021-22 with the Chicago Wolves. 101 points in 73 games. They won the Calder Cup that year.

Chicago’s coach that year? Warsofsky.
Yeah, I didn't really think about how huge those scoring numbers were.

I don't think this is really relevant for the Sharks as much, but for the Barracuda, this is a huge acquisition.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
With his market weirdly seeming like it's collapsing a bit, I'd make a play for Oliver Kylington. A 1 or 2 year deal to prove himself and re-establish his value and the opportunity to log some big minutes in all situations might be good for him and would be good for the Sharks to help shore up the skill level of their blueline.

Probably not gonna happen, but it'd be nice.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
the more I analyze, the more I wonder about kostin and Dylladrea. Kostin was -10 in 19 games, which is awful, but he also put up 10 pts in those 19 games. Dyllandrea had 28 pts as a 22 year old (8th among stars forwards).

I wonder if either of those has top 9 potential this coming year? Could either become a legit player? I guess Zadina was the equivalent question last year and that didnt pan out. I wonder if either of those two work out.

I supposed we're grasping at straws. I suppose they are just gunna suck no matter what :)

Players with Zadina's raw abilities generally get longer runways - but at 24 is time running out? Does San Jose have interest in bringing him back on a one-year "prove it" deal with the incoming forwards expected to arrive or has that ship sailed?

Seeing as he is still not signed, is he headed overseas or is there a team willing to give him a "third chance"?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Players with Zadina's raw abilities generally get longer runways - but at 24 is time running out? Does San Jose have interest in bringing him back on a one-year "prove it" deal with the incoming forwards expected to arrive or has that ship sailed?

Seeing as he is still not signed, is he headed overseas or is there a team willing to give him a "third chance"?
Given how low his QO was, I think that ship has sailed and he's now trying to find an NHL offer that won't be coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad