GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
All the SJS-NYI rumors haven't materialized into anything. I wonder if it was just a case of NTCs being invoked.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Yeah, I had speculated NYI-SJS on here a few months ago but that was just based on reports that NYI were looking to clear cap. Arthur Staple (NYI beat reporter on the athletic) had reported JGP and Lee as potential guys to be moved/bought out this offseason. So I just put it together as a potnetial option that Grier could pursue. But I’m not sure there were ever any actual reports of interest between the two teams.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is our opening night roster worse than last year? I cant....tell....

Probably pretty close to the same. Celebrini (if he signs) and Smith are better on balance than Hertl on his own without the broken corpse of Couture. Hoffman and Labanc and the lost wings outside of Duclair were mostly trash anyways.

Assuming Cooch isn't healthy and Celebrini signs we're probably looking at something vaguely like:

Eklund - Celebrini- Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg- Goodrow
Kunin - Sturm - Graf

Ferraro - Rutta
Walman - Benning
Vlasic - Thompson?

Blackwood
Vanacek

That's still pretty bad, especially on the blueline, but those forward lines are pretty close to "sorta halfway acceptable if you squint really hard and also recognize this is a crap team that's still gonna tank for at least next season"

Probably not enough to win a lot more games, but at least better enough to not get boat raced 10-1 a bunch of times.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Probably pretty close to the same. Celebrini (if he signs) and Smith are better on balance than Hertl on his own without the broken corpse of Couture. Hoffman and Labanc and the lost wings outside of Duclair were mostly trash anyways.

Assuming Cooch isn't healthy and Celebrini signs we're probably looking at something vaguely like:

Eklund - Celebrini- Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg- Goodrow
Kunin - Sturm - Graf

Ferraro - Rutta
Walman - Benning
Vlasic - Thompson?

Blackwood
Vanacek

That's still pretty bad, especially on the blueline, but those forward lines are pretty close to "sorta halfway acceptable if you squint really hard and also recognize this is a crap team that's still gonna tank for at least next season"

Probably not enough to win a lot more games, but at least better enough to not get boat raced 10-1 a bunch of times.

You left out Dellandrea (probably in place of Graf) and I'm guessing Emberson in place of Thompson. Hoping a legit top 4 d-man in place of Benning, but failing that maybe someone like Barrie, Boqvist, Brannstrom, or Schmidt.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Grier not adding any total cans today is real nice. Will be fun to watch a real NHL team shape up the next few years instead of Labanc Burroughs and Hoffman.

NO MORE KEVIN LABANC!!! How exciting

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Burns, Ghost, Walker and Orlov on the same blueline is insanity. It's like the Hurricanes are trying to become even less competitive in the playoffs.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I was already thinking at worst that pick is 20th ish but they might really fall apart
One significant injury to Eichel, Stone, Pietrangelo or Hertl and they're cooked.

Edmonton and Vancouver are clearly better than them and LA has more upside with Byfield+Clarke.

That said, it's Vegas so watch them trade Pietrangelo for Marner tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad