Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The McLeod bashing from our fan base is crazy. I’m not a huge fan of him due to the fact he’s a perimeter player and soft but he does a lot of things well.

Sabres fans, y’all got a good player. Great ability to transport the puck, he’s fast, committed to defence and he’s solid on the pk.

Has more skill than his point production shows and that’s always been a frustration with him. He is also better as a winger than he is as a center, IMO.

Obviously as an Oiler fan though, stoked with the return. More than what we expected and hope Savoie pans out for us.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Do you like this move if you're Savoie?

You get out of Buffalo and might get to sniff some playoff-minutes with McDrai, of course.
But personally? If he is added to the roster next season, even just for some games, he'll likely be in a bottom 6 role and won't get any minutes, especially not in the o-zone.

Or he gets rushed into a new team and feels the pressure right away because he's on the big stage from the get-go.

For personal development, staying in a rather quiet environment in Buffalo for more time might had been better for him.

However, if the Oilers don't plan on adding him to the roster in foreseeable future (the next 1-2 years), it doesn't really make any difference. But would the Oilers have traded a rather young and solid bottom 6 player if this was the case? Doesn't it imply that they'd try to implement him rather quickly? F.e. if Skinner and other depth pieces are gone next summer?
Matt Savoie is probably over the moon.

He doesn't have to move to Buffalo, and has a chance with his home-town Cup-finalists Oilers.

He goes from a losing franchise to a winning one.

Soon he can tell his his friends and relatives what it's like to play with McDrai.

What's not to like?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Hfboards will hfboards. EDM got a fantastic return for McLeod and made a deal with a desperate franchise. It doesn't mean that Savoie is going to be better than Danny Briere, and it doesn't mean that McLeod is a dogshit player.

Thank you to all the Edmonton followers for the informed reports on McLeod. Congrats...you won the trade. Sabres fans are disappointed but really hoping to make the playoffs this season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My team is absolutely loaded to the tits. What a time to be alive.

Assuming they stay healthy you guys have the best forward group in the league.

You have had as close to a perfect off season as you can get.

I don't think I would have moved your 2025 1st for the #32 pick because that 2025 1st is probably better used at the deadline but other than that it's been damn near perfect

Reactions: Macheteops

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Teams in pain pay painful prices.

But the Sabres have been in need of a center who can play defense for a decade. I'm sure I'll get annoyed that he doesn't hit or score. I'm sure I'll watch him fly up the ice and bemoan his lack of points. I'm sure someday I'll watch Savoie cash in on a beautiful pass from McDavid and be envious. But you guys just cannot understand how frustrating it has been for so long that the Sabres can't run out a line of players to protect a lead for 10 years. And no, we couldn't find that player in free agency because it takes two to tango and ain't nobody dancing with the Sabres if they have any other option.

Tl;dr
Like the player hate the price. Kev backed himself into a corner and got worked over. It happens. Gotta dig out of this hole somehow.

p.s. you all are overrating Savoie a bit. There's a reason he's been passed on the prospect depth chart in Buffalo. but Edmonton, in search of ELC talent in the top 6 is as good a fit as there is for him. I wish him and Edmonton the best.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The McLeod bashing from our fan base is crazy. I’m not a huge fan of him due to the fact he’s a perimeter player and soft but he does a lot of things well.

Sabres fans, y’all got a good player. Great ability to transport the puck, he’s fast, committed to defence and he’s solid on the pk.

Has more skill than his point production shows and that’s always been a frustration with him. He is also better as a winger than he is as a center, IMO.

Obviously as an Oiler fan though, stoked with the return. More than what we expected and hope Savoie pans out for us.
It’s not bashing to inform sabers fans that they didn’t get the big, physical, great faceoff man that they think they’re getting.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
They've been doing their job terrible for several years now and as a whole we've had 13 years to get going.....there is no justifiable reason to trust the Sabres management until the team doesn't suck ass.
Have they thought? Have they been doing their job terribly these past 3 years? They missed the playoffs by 1 point, reaching 91 pts on the season 2 seasons ago. Did they regress this last season a bit? Sure, Thompson and Quinn injured near all season, youth still progressing toward their early prime NHL years.
I have no issue with questioning Adams and his motives in decisions, but to say they didn't improve is literally baffling. With ROR, Kame, Eichel, Reinhart the team was actually worse, far worse in terms of seasonal competitiveness, and Adams wasn't here for those disastrous years.
One or two of the prospects, in a pool abundantly overstocked with skill talent are going to be expendable in an attempt to further the goal of the playoffs. You may not like the return, but your not in the Sabres war room establishing a plan of attack, then setting it in motion on how to put the team in position to be in the playoffs. I trust Ruff, the first truly successful experienced coach, maybe not the top choice but better than any since.....well, Ruff, has voiced his input on decisions since rejoining the organization.
Savoie's injuries and injury history were most certainly factors among several.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Big difference

It's been reported The caps drafted Forsberg with little scouting. Jr was the best available when they picked him. Between the draft and thst trsfe they didnt pay attention to him.

I think there is something. I found it very strange last fall at the start of the season where he got injured in October
When he was cleared he practiced. They could have played him in 5 or so games before sending him back. Insyeadvhe played a total of 3 min and then the next day was sent back to juniors. Ghat makes no logical sense unless something else was going on like ego or character.

Ruff is very good friends with James Pstrick who lined Savoie and likely shared an honest opinion that may have said negative things on his character.

That combined with the early season try out makes me wonder.

Sometimes you can have a great player who may be an awful personality or a locker room problem.

McLeod was drafted in 2018. That means he will be 24 by mid sept based on the draft birthdate range.
This entire post is nonsense. Stopped reading after you mentioned a team didn't pay attention to an 11th OA draft pick. Bad trades happen and for some reason you and other people can't wrap their heads around that possibility.

Funny thing is I heard the exact same thing about Savoie. Buffalo had zero communication or eyes on him since he was drafted. They also drafted savoie with zero scouting and just went based off the mynhldraft site. Im really good friends with a few sabre scouts and they always keep me in the loop.

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
Gaustad for a first comes back in karmic fashion for Buffalo.

At the end of the day, though, Nashville did better in that trade.

Buffalo hoping it's similar

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Really liking Edmonton's off-season so far, they've righted the ship after years of mismanagement. Hopefully they get their big guns to extend.

The “years of mismanagement” were under Chiarelli.

Holland polished that circling turd and got it within a goal of the Stanley Cup, warts and all.

That said, Jackson is looking as sharp as a tack, which is a breath of fresh air.

Proven players will always have more value than some unproven prospects.

This statement, without some sort of qualification, is absolutely not true.

That’s what makes this trade such a unicorn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad