GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Since it seems that Sharks don't attract the top 4 FA defencemen, I would go for Adam Boqvist and Nate Schmidt right about now. Schmidt more of a veteran and Boqvist as an potential PP guy.
I don't believe they'll command a lot even if we have to overpay. Just bring some new bodies to that defensive core.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Jesus Christ, Alex Carrier must really love Nashville. Sweetheart deal.
Is it though? Look at the deal that Chatfield got and what Sean Walker got. Seems like a pretty darn fair value deal (especially because TN is a no state income tax spot). Was projected just under $4M on a 3 year deal and took $3.75M in a tax shelter.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Craig Button immediately going to bat for all those guys saying that they’ve “done the work” to deserve to be re-instated but don’t actually have to prove that they did the work made me want to hurl. The rest of the panel was like “well these guys really need to prove that they’ve changed”, etc. and was kinda uncomfortable but Button was just gross.
Someone's got to carry the torch for the old boys' club of the NHL.

Well, no they don't, but lord knows they will.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why WOULDN'T he want to be a part of what they're building?
Because it’s mid as hell? Bunch of 35 year olds and no real centers isn’t exactly my idea of a good time.

Is it though? Look at the deal that Chatfield got and what Sean Walker got. Seems like a pretty darn fair value deal (especially because TN is a no state income tax spot). Was projected just under $4M on a 3 year deal and took $3.75M in a tax shelter.
I think Carrier is a tier above those guys.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Small defensemen always get "underpaid" (aka fairly paid based on their market value).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Craig Button immediately going to bat for all those guys saying that they’ve “done the work” to deserve to be re-instated but don’t actually have to prove that they did the work made me want to hurl. The rest of the panel was like “well these guys really need to prove that they’ve changed”, etc. and was kinda uncomfortable but Button was just gross.

Yeah, Pounder and Corrado both looked horrified because they didn't want to step on the minefield, but made reasonable statements about how those guys still have to demonstrate that they've made meaningful movement and/or restitution and that the real act of proving themselves begins now. Then in comes Button to steamroll everything with "well yep, it's fine they're great and the league is great and this can't go bad in any way because the league said so because it's great!" and I cringed so hard. Like, jeeeeesus Button. If you can't muster up at least a little bit of reservedness just keep your trap shut.

With the Quenneville/Bowman news I'm just waiting for the Flyers to announce they've extended Carter Hart

This league f***ing sucks

Also, way to drop a bomb on one of your biggest news days of the year, you have shit for principles AND you're f***ing stupid as hell

Hart's already gone. He and the 3 others who were in the league last year (Foote, McLeod, and Dube) were all non-tendered by their clubs a few days ago and they became UFAs today so that they were no longer attached to their teams.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Hart's already gone. He and the 3 others who were in the league last year (Foote, McLeod, and Dube) were all non-tendered by their clubs a few days ago and they became UFAs today so that they were no longer attached to their teams.
I know, I was being facetious, but the way this league goes out of their way to protect predators and their enablers so long as they're talented it wouldn't be shocking to see one of those teams extend a contract to one of the players on trial in order to "protect the asset"

With the NHL dropping that news today it's fitting that Nashville won free agency, way to go everyone

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Lol Jeff O'Neill whinging about "there's not much loyalty" out there because teams let players go.

Meanwhile players get to free agency after being a good fit on a good team and are like "f*** it, I'm getting that bag" and O'Neill's probably fine with it.

"no loyalty" runs both ways. It sucks when it happens in either direction but it happens. Players bail on teams if they don't get what they want and teams will let go of players if they need to make hard financial decisions for sake of the roster.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
There could be a trade being worked on as we speak. I think that's a good route to get some good defensive players that necessary wouldn't sign here @ Free Agency.
We get some of the players here, build a culture together and they will be loyal after that.
I think Sharks has a lot of history of bringing guys here through trades not even knowing where San Jose is and they end up loving it here.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
There could be a trade being worked on as we speak. I think that's a good route to get some good defensive players that necessary wouldn't sign here @ Free Agency.
We get some of the players here, build a culture together and they will be loyal after that.
I think Sharks has a lot of history of bringing guys here through trades not even knowing where San Jose is and they end up loving it here.

Are you speculating that or did you see a trade rumor posted somewhere?

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Are you speculating that or did you see a trade rumor posted somewhere?
Just a speculation for now. But knowing how MG operates, he will change something on that defence. It was on his to-do list (like adding scoring winger that was Toffoli and another C that was Wennberg)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad