GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Probably pretty close to the same. Celebrini (if he signs) and Smith are better on balance than Hertl on his own without the broken corpse of Couture. Hoffman and Labanc and the lost wings outside of Duclair were mostly trash anyways.

Assuming Cooch isn't healthy and Celebrini signs we're probably looking at something vaguely like:

Eklund - Celebrini- Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg- Goodrow
Kunin - Sturm - Graf

Ferraro - Rutta
Walman - Benning
Vlasic - Thompson?

Blackwood
Vanacek

That's still pretty bad, especially on the blueline, but those forward lines are pretty close to "sorta halfway acceptable if you squint really hard and also recognize this is a crap team that's still gonna tank for at least next season"

Probably not enough to win a lot more games, but at least better enough to not get boat raced 10-1 a bunch of times.
I think Graf needs an amazing camp to make the team barring trades. Grundlund, Dellandria and Egor I think will have a look before Graf

Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Who’s still out there that we’d even want? I don’t see anyone, so I’m glad Grier isn’t planning on signing any more depth players.
I wished a 1-year prove it deal for Boqvist or Brannström. Veteran deal for Schmidt would be a nice too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Graf needs an amazing camp to make the team barring trades. Grundlund, Dellandria and Egor I think will have a look before Graf
I’d like to see Graf dominate the AHL this year if he can. I’m not convinced, but I’d like to see him get big minutes on the Cuda to prove he’s an NHL prospect.

I wished a 1-year prove it deal for Boqvist or Brannström. Veteran deal for Schmidt would be a nice too.
Would you consider either of those “significant”? He didn’t say there would be no more signings, just no more “significant” signings.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I’d like to see Graf dominate the AHL this year if he can. I’m not convinced, but I’d like to see him get big minutes on the Cuda to prove he’s an NHL prospect.

Would you consider either of those “significant”? He didn’t say there would be no more signings, just no more “significant” signings.
I understood it as MG is done with NHL deals, probably goes to sign his RFA deals with couple AHL deals. But hopefully I'm wrong and he signs one of the ones I mentioned.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I understood it as MG is done with NHL deals, probably goes to sign his RFA deals with couple AHL deals. But hopefully I'm wrong and he signs one of the ones I mentioned.
Definitely open to interpretation. I just wouldn’t be surprised if there was a reclamation project sort of signing. Or maybe I would be, considering how bad all the reclamation projects were last season…

Reactions: mogambomoroo

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The way that I think about Graf, the way someone put it to me...if the Sharks had drafted Graf with a late first-rounder in 2021, and he proceeded to have the same profile otherwise, wouldn't he essentially be penciled into a bottom-six role for 2024-2025?

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
So it seems like we will have an entertaining training camp...

Currently a logjam at forward once RFAs are signed. per cap friendly, we will have potentially 18 forwards including cooch if healthy and celebrini if he goes pro.

We wont carry more than 14 on a given night. So, at least 4 will need to be sent down. Who are they? If Cooch is unhealthy, thats one. G Smith? 2. I expect Bordy sent down. 3. Maybe graf? or celly stays at BU?

I wonder if the next move is to go after Necas from Carolina?? they have just 10M in space left with necas and jarvis needing to be resigned as both will require 5+ I would expect. Wonder if Grier can get some more talent via trade?

Either way, we have a logjam at F, so clearly gunna be a lot of competition and a very young, stacked AHL team.

The way that I think about Graf, the way someone put it to me...if the Sharks had drafted Graf with a late first-rounder in 2021, and he proceeded to have the same profile otherwise, wouldn't he essentially be penciled into a bottom-six role for 2024-2025?
I think part of the deal with Graf is that they promised him an NHL look to sign there. Im sure they dont owe him forever, but I would be surprised if they start him in the AHL since he was such a highly saught after college FA and the sharks got him on the premise that he'll get to play in the NHL.

I think part of the deal with Graf is that they promised him an NHL look to sign there. Im sure they dont owe him forever, but I would be surprised if they start him in the AHL since he was such a highly saught after college FA and the sharks got him on the premise that he'll get to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Probably pretty close to the same. Celebrini (if he signs) and Smith are better on balance than Hertl on his own without the broken corpse of Couture. Hoffman and Labanc and the lost wings outside of Duclair were mostly trash anyways.

Assuming Cooch isn't healthy and Celebrini signs we're probably looking at something vaguely like:

Eklund - Celebrini- Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg- Goodrow
Kunin - Sturm - Graf

Ferraro - Rutta
Walman - Benning
Vlasic - Thompson?

Blackwood
Vanacek

That's still pretty bad, especially on the blueline, but those forward lines are pretty close to "sorta halfway acceptable if you squint really hard and also recognize this is a crap team that's still gonna tank for at least next season"

Probably not enough to win a lot more games, but at least better enough to not get boat raced 10-1 a bunch of times.
If Vegas and Seattle found fringe players and got enough to be respectable in an expansion draft, it seems there is still enough talent that GMMG's team could find with the promise of playing time, a bit extra $$ for two years term. Its how they got Graf to choose the sharks. Got to think they have some better options than than another crummy year 50pts.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
If Vegas and Seattle found fringe players and got enough to be respectable in an expansion draft, it seems there is still enough talent that GMMG's team could find with the promise of playing time, a bit extra $$ for two years term. Its how they got Graf to choose the sharks. Got to think they have some better options than than another crummy year 50pts.
Everyone who is upset about a 50 point season needs to understand this was the most successful and important 12 months in Sharks history.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
They had clean slates, no baggage. Vegas got to take everyone to school on a new exposure/expansion draft situation, fear ran rampant among GMs for extra protection slots etc. Seattle still had a clean slate to work with and some leverage with a brand new market. Washington state has no state income tax... What's San Jose got going for it really? If you wanted to attract young millionaires that didn't NEED to live there to collect their millions?

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Everyone who is upset about a 50 point season needs to understand this was the most successful and important 12 months in Sharks history.
no kidding, 23-24 got them a huge windfall in talent. Now they have a new coach and some youthful talent, we don't need to have a repeat of a opening season 10 game losing streak or get run out of the rink 10-2 every few weeks. Why did they fire the coach if they want to be the worst in the league again? Build some sort of identity, even if its only marginally better. And I would think they could do the really hard work and find a little more talent to build around the upcoming youth.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021

Yeah I’m not really sold on Graf being more then a fringe player, hopefully he starts with Cuda and proves us wrong.

Griers doing his normal signing all the stray 3/4 liners now maybe there’s a deal in place with the Rags too

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Because it’s mid as hell? Bunch of 35 year olds and no real centers isn’t exactly my idea of a good time.

I think Carrier is a tier above those guys.
Nothing about his profile says that though (which is why he got paid comparably to those guys).

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't understand why Drury won't just put him on waivers and be done with it. Is he trying to win the Rangers a Cup or not?
What is he going to realistically spend that cap money on though? The UFAs available don't move the needle and they have enough room right now to re-sign Lindgren ($5M) and Schneider ($2M) while staying under the cap (and upgraded Goodrow to Reilly Smith at the same cap hit). It appears more of a next offseason issue with lots of deals expiring on key guys rather than a this offseason issue.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I had hoped to pick up Trouba. I knew his wife was a Dr., but didn't realize it was residency, or that they had a 9 month old. With that in mind, I'd leave the guy be. He could really help San Jose, but that's complicated enough that I imagine you're better off not getting involved.

Reactions: CHIshark

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Also, I'm fired up on Dickinson, but I think Pitt is going to be bad (maybe 6-10?). They don't look better, pretty close to the cap, another year older, no Guentzel.

San Jose, Columbus, Anaheim, Montreal, and Calgary look pretty poor. After that, I'd say Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa are the worst.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Zero interest in taking Trouba. I think he deserves to stay in NYC as per the trade protections he negotiated.

If teams give guys NMC and NTC they are agreeing to give that player agency over their future and cannot expect them to fold it because “your cap too high we want a shiny toy!!!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad