Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone know what Hamonic's injuries are?

My suspicion is that he might have an injury but more importantly has been outplayed by the other D.
His injuries that took him out from the last third of the season was listed as lower body, though he did miss a handful to an upper body injury earlier.

Beyond vague upper and lower, who knows.

He was a healthy scratch for about a dozen game, what that means is also not really clear, maybe he was healthy enough to play but struggling with something lingering that resulted in other D (JBD) outplaying him, or perhaps he was just not playing well enough in general.

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
His injuries that took him out from the last third of the season was listed as lower body, though he did miss a handful to an upper body injury earlier.

Beyond vague upper and lower, who knows.

He was a healthy scratch for about a dozen game, what that means is also not really clear, maybe he was healthy enough to play but struggling with something lingering that resulted in other D (JBD) outplaying him, or perhaps he was just not playing well enough in general.
I thought someone said high ankle sprain but I could be misremembering

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think the Front Office believes that Hamonic, free of injuries, can come back and play at his 2022-23 level (he's old but not THAT old, still 33, same age as Jensen), which wouldn't be spectacular, but definitely ok for a #6 D. In that case our depth is fine-ish, at least at RD.

They can believe what they want, but Hamonic sucks and won't suddenly improve post-injury in his mid thirties. He should have been shot into the sun long ago.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Does Hamonic’s full NMC preclude him from being bought out since he would need to be placed on waivers to facilitate it?

Reactions: bert

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Thought it was his knee, and Staos said will be fine for camp,

Best case scenario for Ottawa is an LTIR that keeps Hamonic with the organization as a mentor to the young guys. His best days were long gone by the time he came to Ottawa, it has just got worse and last year he didn't look like an NHL player (bum knee and all). Sucks that the team is stuck with him as #7 because of Pierre's charity. The bottom pairing of Kleven-JBD doesn't instill much confidence either. This team is still missing that physical, bottom pairing veteran RD to cover for Kleven's mistakes.

If Hammy's LTIRed, it opens up room for some bargain/waiver shopping to begin the season, if not an actual trade for that #6/7 d-man.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Hamonic is injured, even if it just needs rest,I hope he takes all the time he needs. We're going to have injuries eventually and I'd rather a rested up Hamonic that is still working out and around they lads than one that'd be penciled in early for 'intangibles'

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does Hamonic’s full NMC preclude him from being bought out since he would need to be placed on waivers to facilitate it?
buyout period is past, but no the NMC did not preclude us from buying him out, it is possible his surgery prevented it though.

Reactions: BigRig4

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I could see us claiming one of the Avs' D that will get put on waivers.

They have Makar, Toews, Girard, Manson, Kylington, Brannstrom and De Haan on 1 way deals + MacDonald and Malinski on two-way deals.

Honestly Brannstrom is exactly what we need and I'd love to welcome him back if he hits waivers.

I think MacDonald may have some experience playing either side, but I could be wrong. He'd be a decent depth acquisition too. CDH certainly does but I think he'll stick with them because they have way too many puckmovers and not enough defensive D.

Biggest need for this team right now is a guy who can play the right side, but also play left side in case of injury.

People are overly focused on the right side, but what happens if Sanderson/Chabot gets injured or Kleven struggles in his rookie year? Beyond them the best LD we have is Roos or Davies - two guys who aren't exactly NHL caliber D.
Bringing Brannstrom back would be great just for the fan base chaos

Cdh would be a good get too. I just hope if that's the plan that we don't bail out the avs for free

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is Hamonic's last season & by the end of the season I expect JBD will be playing full time & either someone in Belleville/org will pretty much replace him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I still wonder if Hamonic LTIRetires during training camp.

They have said all the "right" things, but I think it is interesting how there were rumblings (through the media, so grain of salt) about a Hamonic buyout for months, and then when the time came, he had a boo boo and could not be bought out.

I wonder if he will come to camp, they will decide he didn't pass his physical or still has a boo boo, and he will go non LTIR for the season. Win-win for both sides. Hamonic gets an extra 363k in salary, and the Senators get 1.1M in cap space via LTIR instead of having dead cap on the books for two seasons.

If this is the plan, I think we add another player before the season starts. If we go into LTI, we won't be able to bank cap space. So there would be less incentive to leaving space on the table. Having Hamonic's 1.1M back makes adding a 2M-3M type defenseman a bit more realistic.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

They have said all the "right" things, but I think it is interesting how there were rumblings (through the media, so grain of salt) about a Hamonic buyout for months, and then when the time came, he had a boo boo and could not be bought out.

I wonder if he will come to camp, they will decide he didn't pass his physical or still has a boo boo, and he will go non LTIR for the season. Win-win for both sides. Hamonic gets an extra 363k in salary, and the Senators get 1.1M in cap space via LTIR instead of having dead cap on the books for two seasons.

If this is the plan, I think we add another player before the season starts. If we go into LTI, we won't be able to bank cap space. So there would be less incentive to leaving space on the table. Having Hamonic's 1.1M back makes adding a 2M-3M type defenseman a bit more realistic.
Also could have just milked the knee to get full salary + get to play this season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Don’t recall rumblings in the media, I recall fans wanting that, and yourself.

Staois has said, he’s part of the team and expects him to be at camp ready to go, or something to that affect.

I don’t see the LTIR, but team would know better than us.

Not sure what you mean by LTI and not being able to bank cap space?
There is no banking space with injured players, it’s cap relief while player is in LTIR,
and what is LTI.

There’s LTIR and IR

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don’t recall rumblings in the media, I recall fans wanting that, and yourself.

Staois has said, he’s part of the team and expects him to be at camp ready to go, or something to that affect.

I don’t see the LTIR, but team would know better than us.

Not sure what you mean by LTI and not being able to bank cap space?
There is no banking space with injured players, it’s cap relief while player is in LTIR,
and what is LTI.

There’s LTIR and IR
My recollection as well

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

“Veteran Travis Hamonic has a full no-move clause and likely will have his $1 million deal bought out once the Stanley Cup final ends Monday. The club would carry a $366,000 cap hit for the next two seasons if that takes place”

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People need to stop talking about our bottom pair like it’s “only the third pairing”. These guys will have to jump into the top 4 guaranteed.
You need one guy on the bottom pair that can jump up into the top 4 and be decent.
Right now we have 3 guys that I’m not sure are even good for the third pair

Last edited:

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
People need to stop talking about our bottom pair like it’s “only the third pairing”. These guys will have to jump into the top 4 guaranteed.
You need one guy on the bottom pair that can jump up into the top 4 and be decent.
Bingo!
You need like 8-10 D that are at least passing fair if you want a chance to win the cup.
(Unless you're Chicago the one year where Rundblad won the cup and Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarson/Oduya did all the work)

Honestly, this is why I'm surprised they got rid of Branny. He wasn't spectacular, but was a genuine utility knife.

Who knows how it will play out. But they definitely need another depth/utility D or else we are in trouble. I have never seen a team where the top 4 D all play the bulk of 82 games ....

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Bingo!
You need like 8-10 D that are at least passing fair if you want a chance to win the cup.
(Unless you're Chicago the one year where Rundblad won the cup and Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarson/Oduya did all the work)

Honestly, this is why I'm surprised they got rid of Branny. He wasn't spectacular, but was a genuine utility knife.

Who knows how it will play out. But they definitely need another depth/utility D or else we are in trouble. I have never seen a team where the top 4 D all play the bulk of 82 games ....
Especially since our defence haven’t shown to be durable at all. It’s very likely Kleven is in the top 4 for 20+ games next year at minimum.

Reactions: gab6511 and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Most of the time when 3rd pair guys move up, they are carried by the top 4 Dman they are paired with. The good news is Sanderson and to a lesser extent Chabot are guys that imo are capable of complimenting the guys we have on the third pair.

I think JBD has shown enough that you can have him do spot duty with Sanderson or Chabot and not get caved. He's not great, but he's not a liability out there imo. He gets in the lanes well, blocks a lot of shots, but won't create much offence.

I'm high on Kleven, but he's unproven. Idk how well he'll do with Zub or Jensen if Chabot or Sanderson goes down. None of those three are particularly strong puck movers, so it would be a bit of bend don't break scenario until we could get the top pair back out there.

What I have more reservations with is who comes up in the event that we need a JBD or Kleven playing in the top 4. Maybe Hamonic will be better after knee surgery, Guenette might be ok but we don't have any depth at LD that I trust.

We'll have to see what happens after Training camp. We might pick someone up off waivers to shore things up.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Especially since our defence haven’t shown to be durable at all. It’s very likely Kleven is in the top 4 for 20+ games next year at minimum.
Forget kleven. What about Hamonic

Most of the time when 3rd pair guys move up, they are carried by the top 4 Dman they are paired with. The good news is Sanderson and to a lesser extent Chabot are guys that imo are capable of complimenting the guys we have on the third pair.

I think JBD has shown enough that you can have him do spot duty with Sanderson or Chabot and not get caved. He's not great, but he's not a liability out there imo. He gets in the lanes well, blocks a lot of shots, but won't create much offence.

I'm high on Kleven, but he's unproven. Idk how well he'll do with Zub or Jensen if Chabot or Sanderson goes down. None of those three are particularly strong puck movers, so it would be a bit of bend don't break scenario until we could get the top pair back out there.

What I have more reservations with is who comes up in the event that we need a JBD or Kleven playing in the top 4. Maybe Hamonic will be better after knee surgery, Guenette might be ok but we don't have any depth at LD that I trust.

We'll have to see what happens after Training camp. We might pick someone up off waivers to shore things up.
I trust Sanderson to carry jbd. I don’t trust chabot to.

Chabot is also the more likely to get injured given history. So it’s likely to be kleven Jensen. Or maybe they move zub to help kleven and then Jensen Sanderson

Reactions: gab6511

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bingo!

They had to pay him 2.2 million. Made no sense to qualify him. At 900k sure but they had no chance at that. Another player making that much would be fine.

Kleven is alot better than many posters seem to recognize. But I do agree getting rid of Hamonic and replacing him with a better player would be a big help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad