Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Looking at our roster, it seems like we have a lot of possible fringe players who might be able to make the jump to playing in the NHL at forward, but we don't have as much depth on defense, which is a more volatile position.

Now that arbitration cases are mostly settled, I wonder if there is a team out there who has an extra #5-6 type defenseman available that we could scoop up. Kleven/JBD/Hamonic is not the most inspirational 5/6/7.

Reactions: gab6511 and BigRig4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looking at our roster, it seems like we have a lot of possible fringe players who might be able to make the jump to playing in the NHL at forward, but we don't have as much depth on defense, which is a more volatile position.

Now that arbitration cases are mostly settled, I wonder if there is a team out there who has an extra #5-6 type defenseman available that we could scoop up. Kleven/JBD/Hamonic is not the most inspirational 5/6/7.
Doubt it, Staois sounds like he wants to keep cap space until start of season, or for in season.
The very little they have.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why are you being so pedantic about this?

A career is what you've done to make a living. Playing beer league hockey doesn't count. Nor does tying up your skate laces for the first time.
We've had a pretty well-established definition of what constitutes a playing career since...forever. I'm not sure why we're redefining the term now to make it fit. Is that pedantic or is it common sense?

Hopefully just being facetious, Pendatic or just hyperbole.
And his last NHL game was 17 years ago. Is there no one with some more recent NHL experience who fits the role better? Why is Alfredsson behind the bench? Wouldn't this be a beautiful position for him to take? He's arguably the most talented and hard-working player this team ever had. Seems like he'd be a whole hell of a lot better suited to player development than a guy who's coming up on 20 years out of the league.

And, by the way, I have absolutely nothing against York. I'm just wondering why he's the best person for this job?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yorkie a member of the Player Development team? Like Donovan? I'm guessing that's not a high paying gig. Alfie would surely have his sights set higher. Yorkie may be a great person to get for someone to work at that price. Or maybe im way off on salaries for team staff. But welcome back Jason if its true.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
We've had a pretty well-established definition of what constitutes a playing career since...forever. I'm not sure why we're redefining the term now to make it fit. Is that pedantic or is it common sense?

You're the only one who's used that specific term in this thread. Are you moving the goalposts or have you forgotten what you're replying to?

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
What are you guys fighting about?

A minority owner, influencing the hiring of his brother to work for the team!!!

this is the first time that such a thing has ever happened? Oh wait. My Dad owned a store and my Mom worked there. As did we to help! as did my cousin.

And Eugene's daughters taking over when their Dad died was the second such incident... Charles taking over when Elizabeth died (crazy timing).

Hey is is true most people give their kids money, and help them out and then leave them stuff in their will? I had never heard of it before, my Father was a Rolling stone "where left his hat was his home, when he died all he left us was alone (or A loan)".

God Lord..what are we debating here.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
If this hire is true, I would guess that he was chosen for the following reasons:
- Andlauer believes in including the alumni.
- Wade Redden is no longer in that role and they wanted a defenseman.
- Yorkie lives in the area so more accessible/available.

I regularly listen to CIH and find Yorkie's assessments pretty spot on. He evens gets into details such as positioning, how to handle different plays, etc. The game may be faster today, but it hasn't really changed that much when it comes to gap control, positioning, boxing out, passing, etc.

As for Salty Wally being left behind, I would think that Simmer becomes a regular. I've enjoyed his involvement since Bobby Ryan left.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
York is a hire like any other. He’s probably not some hockey whiz relative to all the other former players who take those sorts of positions.

Former player. Knowledgeable. If he works he works if he doesn’t he doesn’t.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
York is a hire like any other. He’s probably not some hockey whiz relative to all the other former players who take those sorts of positions.

Former player. Knowledgeable. If he works he works if he doesn’t he doesn’t.
Was Yorkie being hired officially announced?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Owners, executives, and coaches in hockey tend to have a bias towards people they are familiar with. There is a lot of nepotism in hockey and it doesn't strictly extend to one team. You can map out every single team and roles are usually more likely to be filled by someone the owner or top manager has worked with before.

Technically, I suppose something like Andlauer hiring Staios may not fall under nepotism since their previous relationship was a professional one - but I am using the word in a broader sense. Previous relationships seem to go a long way in determining who gets hired for most teams. We even see it with coaches bringing in past players they like (Boucher with DiDomenico, etc).

It's a valid concern when we hire someone who wasn't recently working for another pro organization in a similar capacity, but most of us don't have the information required to accurately judge most of these hirings. A few years down the road, we might be able to anecdotally judge them based on success or shortcoming of the team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Owners, executives, and coaches in hockey tend to have a bias towards people they are familiar with. There is a lot of nepotism in hockey and it doesn't strictly extend to one team. You can map out every single team and roles are usually more likely to be filled by someone the owner or top manager has worked with before.

Technically, I suppose something like Andlauer hiring Staios may not fall under nepotism since their previous relationship was a professional one - but I am using the word in a broader sense. Previous relationships seem to go a long way in determining who gets hired for most teams. We even see it with coaches bringing in past players they like (Boucher with DiDomenico, etc).

It's a valid concern when we hire someone who wasn't recently working for another pro organization in a similar capacity, but most of us don't have the information required to accurately judge most of these hirings. A few years down the road, we might be able to anecdotally judge them based on success or shortcoming of the team.
I thought "nepotism" applied solely to hiring direct family members and perhaps direct relatives. I never thought it applied to "friends" or "previous people I had worked with".

So I looked up the definition and found out my views were no longer accurate.

nepotism — definition, examples, related words and more at Wordnik

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd definitely have given him that. Brannstrme pressure wom probably feeling soith that signing
It's a very cluttered group of 4-5 guys who could be in and out of the bottom pair and pressbox with Brann, MacDonald, De Haan, Kylington, then Sam Malinski whom they have been looking to get games

Will probably be 2/3 guys who get around 55ish games each, give or take

Could see Girard moved to make some cap room, but their D outside of the top pair would be extremely weak

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Kylington on the Avs is some serious depth
I like that we have some cap space, but more and more I think the team is satisfied, to start the year at least, with Kleven and JBD as the bottom pair.

Maybe they think someone else will step up during camp, but Hamonic can't be counted on as more than a 7th D.

Reactions: bicboi64

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Man does Sakic ever love his small PMDs

Makar, Girard, Toews, Girard, Kylington, Brannstrom, Malinski
Aragorn after reading your post

puke.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3