Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see what you’re saying, but to make it more clear, they didn’t actually clear 1.74 million.
Around 75% of his 5 million was already paid out at the TDL.
So he had 1.25 million about remaining, then retained 50%.
So they cleared about 625k.
They arguably also had to replace a body in the lineup, so even with a league min contract that eats up about 200k of the savings

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
That is the trade that destroyed this franchise.
That this team walked away from Hossa, a player who wanted to be here, still gets me upset. It's the reason I consider Muckler one of the worst GMs ever. I seem to remember reading that Z was really upset at the trade, especially how it was done behind Hossa's back, and probably one of the reasons he wasn't re-signed. Imagine that 2007 run with Hossa/Z instead of Heatley and Redden. Oh, what could've been.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And Hossa wouldn't have? I'd take Hossa over Heatley any day. I never liked the trade, Heatley was too one-dimensional and was only effective because he played with Alfie and Spezza. Hossa was a special player.
Especially when keeping Hossa could have meant that we could have kept Chara.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The issue with Hossa was the 39M salary cap.

Hossa for Heatley was a cap trade because Heatley was an RFA who was going to be cost controlled at a lower cap hit. 1.5M doesn't sound like a big difference, but when you consider the cap ceiling that's like the difference between an 11.XXM player and an 8.XXM player now. It wasn't a hockey trade in that they were only moving Hossa just because Heatley was available. They were moving Hossa because they couldn't fit him under the salary cap, and Heatley would cost less.

You're probably looking at trading Alfredsson or something to keep Hossa. There weren't a lot of options because even if they found a way to sell off 2-3 core pieces for pennies on the dollar to afford Hossa's salary over Heatley.

The reality is, there was no real right answer. The Senators were screwed with the timing of the lockout and salary cap. The early salary cap was very restrictive, and it isn't as if player contracts were signed with some sort of established norm about how each player should fit into the salary cap. Look at our projected 2004-2005 roster, and consider the status of each player (RFA, UFA, etc), if this was anytime between 2010-2024, a franchise would not have an issue keeping most of that core together under the cap.

The cold hard truth is that if Hossa took a 2-3 year discount to keep the core together, the Senators could have more than made it up to him on his next contract because at that point the salary cap rose, and GMs figured out how to circumvent it with back diving contracts. I don't believe players should feel compelled to take discounts, but the Senators were not being unreasonable. They had little control over the situation and had to figure out how to keep as much of the core together as possible under a very restrictive salary cap that they never planned for when they signed their original contracts.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What guarantees were there that Hossa would have re-signed here when he hit UFA status in 2008?

Unpopular opinion but people have really made that trade to be a much bigger disaster than it really was.
It wasn't even a disaster at all, and I say that as someone who loved Hossa.

Heatley was great for us and helped the team get to the finals for the first time.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Was gong to say.. I don't remember Fisher and Havlat on the 4th line much if at all.... but my memory is shite so can't really rely on it. (too many hits to the head and/or too much partying) either way it is what it is.
That was a presidents trophy level team. They did play on the 4th line but were both 19 year Olds. A team with the type of culture and track record like that can have rookies play that role with those elite skill sets. Kinda the opposite here. As for Halliday, he absolutely needs reps in that AHL. There is 0 reason to rush him. This prospect pool is so thin they can't risk having him as a 4th line grinder. Big player late developer longer development curve. They have to be patient.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He also was trying to go through his teammate's wives/girlfriends. He disrupted that room.
He also just…wasn’t as good as Hossa. And Hossa stayed that good for a decade. That trade shrunk our window by 8 years lol.

Hated that trade.
Imagine building around Alfie Hossa chara and spezza until like 2015. Insane core.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Except for the fact that Heatley helped get us to the finals.
They have atleast one cup if they never make that trade. Chara also probably never leaves. Hossa was a way better player. He only had JM as a coach he was never tried on the left side or on a power line outside of a few games in 2004 when he played with Spezza and Bonk and they dominated.

He also just…wasn’t as good as Hossa. And Hossa stayed that good for a decade. That trade shrunk our window by 8 years lol.

Imagine building around Alfie Hossa chara and spezza until like 2015. Insane core.
Bingo.

Reactions: LiseL and Dionysus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That is the trade that created the Pizza Line one of the best lines in hockey at the time & brought in a player who had back to back 50 goal / 100 pt seasons. Hiring Cory Clouston was the worse thing this franchise ever did.
Heatley was fading quickly lol no matter who the coach is. And the defence was essentially finished.

You don’t think hoss spezza Alfie would have dominated lol?

People forget what Hossa did in Atlanta when he left

That is the trade that created the Pizza Line one of the best lines in hockey at the time & brought in a player who had back to back 50 goal / 100 pt seasons. Hiring Cory Clouston was the worse thing this franchise ever did.
Have a great line for 2 years or have a great team for 10….

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hoss and chara would have done the same. And they both stayed elite for another decade.

Heatley and redden did not. In 3 years redden was finished and heatley was bitching about wanting out. And that was that.
Would have is a hope or an opinion & hope is not a strategy or a fact.
Heatley was fading quickly lol no matter who the coach is. And the defence was essentially finished.

You don’t think hoss spezza Alfie would have dominated lol?

People forget what Hossa did in Atlanta when he left

Have a great line for 2 years or have a great team for 10….
Again would have is not a fact, it's an opinion or hope The fact is that Heatley helped this team get to the Stanley Cup & nobody else who has worn a Sens jersey has had back to back 50 goal seasons. FACT.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Plus Havlat (24), Phillips (27), Volchenkov (23), Fisher (25), Vermette (23), Kelly (24), Neil (26), Eaves (21), Meszaros (19), Emery (22) and a top 10 pick in the 2005 draft

Dorion squandered a lot but Muckler’s mistskes had more consequence

Reactions: LiseL

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Would have is a hope or an opinion & hope is not a strategy or a fact.

Again would have is not a fact, it's an opinion or hope The fact is that Heatley helped this team get to the Stanley Cup & nobody else who has worn a Sens jersey has had back to back 50 goal seasons. FACT.
Even if Hossa put up 40 goals, I would of taken that over lazy Heatley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad