Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I don't think Sokolov would cut it on the 4th line in the NHL.
Yeah probably not, but I’m a fan and think he would add a good mix to Gregor and Amadio

4 solid lines and easy to change lines/players in game. Would definitely rather see him than Mack, even though that’s much more likely

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
@ReginKarlssonLehner
Jensen is fine for 2 years IMO.

By that time or sooner Yakemchuk will be here.
8vmerr.jpg

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Duuuuude, this is low key the most doom and gloom post I have read today.

Our entire core is under 25 years old, we aren’t entering a rebuild anytime soon. Becoming a bubble team this season, and even making the dance is the next step in the evolution of this young team becoming a long time playoff team.

The movable parts around the core will change, and we will be adding guys to that in Kleven, Ostapchuk, Yak, and undoubtably a surprise or two.

This team is on a rise, there playoff window is just on the cusp of opening! There will be no rebuild or retool on Ottawa for many years barring all of our guys suddenly demanding trades out. We have our core, they are hungry to compete, it’s go time.
Unfortunately the window should have opened 2 years ago. We are not young anymore. If we tank this season it will be big changes. And stutzle and Sanderson will follow suit after that

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I feel pretty comfortable in saying that if we suck this season, it’s because our core isn’t good enough and not because of goaltending or coaching or an oddly constructed roster. There is enough balance there that now that’s the biggest question mark, so in my opinion Staios did his job.

Lol this is ridiculous. New coach isn't anyone teams we're fighting over, and we've still got holes in the top-6 and no bottom pairing on D, not to mention the question marks that are Norris, Chabot and Pinto. Jensen isn't exactly a world beater and seems to be slowing down.

It's much, much too early to make such wild assumptions about the core.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
On paper I’s say only Toronto in our division actually improved. Unsure about Boston.

Tampa lost Stamkos and Sergachev, and gained McDonagh (good, but aging) and Guentzel.
I like Boston adding Lindholm and Zadorov, but they did lose DeBrusk, Heinen and some other decent bodies. Plus they took on a much worse backup in Korpisalo with all the pressure on Swayman now.

Toronto got better, but the additions are on the older, injury prone side, or in Stolarz's case, unproven. Lost Bertuzzi up front and Robertson wants out too. Not all positives, but they're undeniably better.

Really sticks out. Need him to have a full recovery and stay healthy for the year.

If not, it will take some creativity to deal with that contract.

A healthy Norris is a good player, likely still overpaid with that contract. If he moves to the wing, even more so.
Staios did say he was in the building and said recovery is going well. Not sure what we got last summer, but I feel like it was ominous and guarded like they already knew something was off. Probably means nothing.

Reactions: Dionysus

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The more other teams improve the worst today looks for us. Ain't no way we're anywhere near the playoffs unless Ullmark steals the entire season for us lol.

Other teams are trying to improve by acquiring players from other teams, which in turn weakens those teams.

Tampa isn't any better than last year.
Florida lost several players.
Buffalo didn't make any significant moves.
It's unclear what Detroit accomplished.

We've added forward depth, a top-four right defenseman, rounded out our defense for a more balanced look, and brought in a Vezina winner. It's hard to say we haven't improved.

Many were excited and got used to the big names we acquired over the past two years, such as DeBrincat, Chychrun, and Korpisalo, believing that these moves made us a playoff team. In reality, the team needed better support players who complemented what we already had.

The same people who predicted playoffs and lauded the big moves by Dorion are now upset that we didn't give up huge assets for big names that only added more offense and poor defense. Those same moves that have put this organization behind years in terms of assets and cap structure.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I like Boston adding Lindholm and Zadorov, but they did lose DeBrusk, Heinen and some other decent bodies. Plus they took on a much worse backup in Korpisalo with all the pressure on Swayman now.

Toronto got better, but the additions are on the older, injury prone side, or in Stolarz's case, unproven. Lost Bertuzzi up front and Robertson wants out too. Not all positives, but they're undeniably better.
Right. Lindholm is meh and if there’s an improvement from UFA signings it’s not a big one. 9 times out of 10 when a team improves its because of a new coaching style, goaltending, or progress of young players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Right. Lindholm is meh and if there’s an improvement from UFA signings it’s not a big one. 9 times out of 10 when a team improves its because of a new coaching style, goaltending, or progress of young players.
I do like lindholm, but he's one of those guys that looks good on a good team, I don't think he's carrying anyone anywhere. Same goes for Zadorov. I think their goaltending could be interesting too.

It's like many keep saying, it may look like some of these teams are improving, but it's just a lot of chair shuffling sometimes and each team that added arguably lost as well. There is a ceiling in a cap environment. Nashville is obviously the big winner of today, but even then who knows. They just handed big money to Saros, Stamkos & Marchessault that are on the older side of things and are probably coming from a lower starting point than if some teams were adding those guys.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Lol this is ridiculous. New coach isn't anyone teams we're fighting over, and we've still got holes in the top-6 and no bottom pairing on D, not to mention the question marks that are Norris, Chabot and Pinto. Jensen isn't exactly a world beater and seems to be slowing down.

You have Green, Yeo, Alfie, Baumgartner and Jacques advising them. I don’t care what HF says about Green, I’m sure the 5 of them can figure out how to win hockey games. This is not the days of a DJ Smith operation.

No one says we don’t have holes. Every team has holes. This is not a bottom tier roster unless the core itself isn’t good enough.. they comprise our top 3 centers, our 1 and 2 defencemen and our two best wingers. Now they have some legit support.

Anyway, I don’t know what your point about Norris, Chabot and Pinto is… they are the core. Hence my point about it being the real question mark of the team.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

The bolded is 3 pieces of the core though. They are question marks, but lets be honest, if those guys aren't in the lineup and contributing, it's hard to argue the team isn't going to have trouble. They will. That's just the position they're in with 16+ mil + Pinto's upcoming salary locked in to those guys.

Reactions: DrEasy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Other teams are trying to improve by acquiring players from other teams, which in turn weakens those teams.

Tampa isn't any better than last year.
Florida lost several players.
Buffalo didn't make any significant moves.
It's unclear what Detroit accomplished.

We've added forward depth, a top-four right defenseman, rounded out our defense for a more balanced look, and brought in a Vezina winner. It's hard to say we haven't improved.

Many were excited and got used to the big names we acquired over the past two years, such as DeBrincat, Chychrun, and Korpisalo, believing that these moves made us a playoff team. In reality, the team needed better support players who complemented what we already had.

The same people who predicted playoffs and lauded the big moves by Dorion are now upset that we didn't give up huge assets for big names that only added more offense and poor defense. Those same moves that have put this organization behind years in terms of assets and cap structure.

Tampa is still much better than we are.
Boston is still much better than we are.
Florida is much much better than we are.
Toronto is still much better than we are.
Detroit is about on par with us, but they were ahead of us in the standings and it's hard to believe they'll regress with all that youth.
Buffalo sucks forever.
Habs are rebuilding but doing it the right way.

Look, Perron is cool but he's not an offensive star anymore, and Amadio is a fourth liner on a good team who had his numbers inflated being with Vegas. Jensen is an aging, slowing dman who might look decent but is he really that much better than Chychrun at this point? Barely.

And once again I'm forced to bring up all the question marks in Norris, Pinto, Chabot and the new HC. None of them are close to sure things.

Ullmark is the big addition and might get us out of the bottom 10 on his own.

I predict we finish somewhere around 18th and 23rd in the league unless a miracle happens.

The bolded is 3 pieces of the core though. They are question marks, but lets be honest, if those guys aren't in the lineup and contributing, it's hard to argue the team isn't going to have trouble. They will. That's just the position they're in with 16+ mil + Pinto's upcoming salary locked in to those guys.

Won't ever deny how Dorion f***ed the team over with so many big contracts, but does this mean we should just accept futility for the next 2-3 years?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Staois was a NHL defender. The idea behind adding Jensen is that he’s a better partner for Chabot. I can see the logic Staois is using in that the tandem will improve and that better options just weren’t available to us ultimately unfortunately.

I think some are under estimating how little cap we have as well.

A lot of this off season’s results will boil down to getting an extension for Ullmark.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and Dionysus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tampa is still much better than we are.
Boston is still much better than we are.
Florida is much much better than we are.
Toronto is still much better than we are.
Detroit is about on par with us, but they were ahead of us in the standings and it's hard to believe they'll regress with all that youth.
Buffalo sucks forever.
Habs are rebuilding but doing it the right way.

Look, Perron is cool but he's not an offensive star anymore, and Amadio is a fourth liner on a good team who had his numbers inflated being with Vegas. Jensen is an aging, slowing dman who might look decent but is he really that much better than Chychrun at this point? Barely.

And once again I'm forced to bring up all the question marks in Norris, Pinto, Chabot and the new HC. None of them are close to sure things.

Ullmark is the big addition and might get us out of the bottom 10 on his own.

I predict we finish somewhere around 18th and 23rd in the league unless a miracle happens.

Won't ever deny how Dorion f***ed the team over with so many big contracts, but does this mean we should just accept futility for the next 2-3 years?
What else do you expect them to do? They're making the best of a tough situation.

They are almost tapped out for cap with all these guys signed and the ones they might move being untradable. The question marks are part of the group that needs to claw their way out. They're starved for assets after years of attempts to fast forward.

SS went out and massively upgraded goaltending and filled in some roster spots including a top 4 D, he upgraded the bottom 6, and brought in veterans that aren't washed (yet) on short term deals. May not be as high caliber as some hoped, but statistically they fit the roles and aren't grossly overpaid based on predictions.

Guys are gravitating towards good teams and low tax states. Toronto paid out the ass in term and LTIR planned their even older than Jensen 2 D additions. I just don't see a lot out there that might have been on the table that would have worked out better. A lot of the teams in general that added also lost and are probably relatively neutral.

I'm not going to argue SS hit a home run today, but the team is still better today than it was yesterday.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
JFresh’s JBD card shows that he was actually better defensively than Nick Jensen this year lol. Same defensive rating while playing against slightly better competition. Jensen was just better at moving the puck.

Kinda dire, or JBD isn’t as bad as we think in his own end.
/60 stats ------ ---- Jenson ------JBD
Ozone Starts---- --- 3.19 -------7.08
GA/60 -------------- 2.44 --------2.97
SCA/60------------- 26.68 ------ 29.62
HDCA --------------11.58 -------12.07

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If the guys PKing were shit and we didn't retain some of them, what difference does it make?
The difference is we didn't replace them with anyone who can PK? Our special teams got worse, from a personnel standpoint. How is that good for the team?
Maybe that's not a bad thing?

I don't see why guys like Gregor and Amadio can't kill penalties if we need them to.
3 years in Vegas for Amadio - never killed penalties.
4 years in SJ for Gregor - never killed penalties.

What makes you think they're all of a sudden gonna be penalty killers here?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Goaltending

Ulmark is a massive upgrade

Forwards

We only got 91 games out of Norris and Pinto last year while Stutzle had lingering injuries all year. The supporting forwards are upgraded. Batherson was much better post DJ. I’ll give our forward lineup a small upgrade.

Defence

We replaced Chychrun with a much better fit. Klevin replaces Brannstrom. I’d call this a fairly substantial upgrade, although I’d love to find a cheap vet to play ahead of JBD who while good is a little physically overmatched.

The team is better but it still might not be enough.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
We're unironically one of the most improved teams in the east.

We swapped the worst starting goalie for a top 10 goalie, got a top 4 RHD, and improved our third line.

Plus if Norris is healthy and Pinto plays the whole year, that's a pretty big boon.
I keep seeing this. Yeah we added top 4 dman. Hopefully. We also traded away a top 4 dman too... So kinda evens out....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The difference is we didn't replace them with anyone who can PK? Our special teams got worse, from a personnel standpoint. How is that good for the team?

3 years in Vegas for Amadio - never killed penalties.
4 years in SJ for Gregor - never killed penalties.

What makes you think they're all of a sudden gonna be penalty killers here?
I'm just saying, if they aren't getting the job done, whatever. Jensen is a big PKer, so that's big on the backend. Someone posted earlier that Gregor did PK last year for almost half the time of Kelly I think. SS said today they pegged Gregor as a PK guy specifically, so it seems that's the plan and should basically just slot in for Kelly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Goaltending

Ulmark is a massive upgrade

Forwards

We only got 91 games out of Norris and Pinto last year while Stutzle had lingering injuries all year. The supporting forwards are upgraded. Batherson was much better post DJ. I’ll give our forward lineup a small upgrade.

Defence

We replaced Chychrun with a much better fit. Klevin replaces Brannstrom. I’d call this a fairly substantial upgrade, although I’d love to find a cheap vet to play ahead of JBD who while good is a little physically overmatched.

The team is better but it still might not be enough.
JBD is the guy I could see them still trying to change, bring in a body, and put on waivers. I feel like maybe he could work next to Kleven, but not very much experience there and worry they may look to Hamonic as the alternative since he's a vet and Kleven is a rookie. I want the coach to be able to be confident in his 6 guys to keep Hammer in the box.

Reactions: LiseL and GCK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad