Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The Senators have five picks left in this draft (including three in the fourth round), but Staios would like to make changes to his roster.

The club has been trying to move winger Mathieu Joseph along with blueliner Erik Brannstrom and Jacob Bernard-Docker. Teams have called on defenceman Jakob Chychrun, but the Senators weren’t able to get the return they wanted before Round 1.

League executives told Postmedia on Friday the asking price for Joseph is a draft pick so it’s possible that deal happens on Saturday.

As for Chychrun, he’s headed into the final year of his contract and the Florida Panthers are among the teams interested but it’s not known if the deal will get done at this draft.
Probably not gonna get a very good return for Chychrun.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Probably not gonna get a very good return for Chychrun.

Going to be very interesting to see what happens here. Just doesn't sound like there's been all that much interest in Chychrun, which doesn't really surprise me.

If they can't get Chychrun and Joseph off the books - which is looking increasingly unlikely - they are going to have their hands tied on July 1st. They'd have about 10M in cap space, but you have to account for Pinto, Kelly and two 4th line forwards. Really thin.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Going to be very interesting to see what happens here. Just doesn't sound like there's been all that much interest in Chychrun, which doesn't really surprise me.

If they can't get Chychrun and Joseph off the books - which is looking increasingly unlikely - they are going to have their hands tied on July 1st. They'd have about 10M in cap space, but you have to account for Pinto, Kelly and two 4th line forwards. Really thin.
Yeah, it’s tough to envision what a Florida trade would look like. But I suppose if they’re trying to move Ekblad, the return they get from that could be used to acquire Chychrun. Otherwise we’re probably looking at a 2nd as the main piece.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
wtf does Florida have to offer. They don’t even have a 2nd rounder this year and no 1st rounder next year.

Unless they wanna offer Samoskevich, which they won’t. They got shit.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Where are you guys reading that Chychrun isn't going to get much?

Only blurb I found about him in that article was Bruce saying Florida is interested + he doesn't think anything will happen at the draft.

wtf does Florida have to offer. They don’t even have a 2nd rounder this year and no 1st rounder next year.

Unless they wanna offer Samoskevich, which they won’t. They got shit.

We couldn't get their 2025 2nd for Tarasenko, so they have that.

Nathan Staios + 2025 2nd?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Where are you guys reading that Chychrun isn't going to get much?

Only blurb I found about him in that article was Bruce saying Florida is interested + he doesn't think anything will happen at the draft.

We couldn't get their 2025 2nd for Tarasenko, so they have that.

Nathan Staios + 2025 2nd?
He said we haven’t been able to get the return we’re looking for, but honestly my assumption came mostly from the fact that Florida was listed as the likely trading partner. They aren’t exactly swimming in assets.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So far, Staois has managed to acquire a legitimate #1 Vezina winning goalie & a potential top 4 RD who is big, mean, with elite offensive skill, NHL shot, who can play at both ends. Tomorrow & July 1st should be interesting & he still has Chychrun, Joseph & maybe Brannstrom to move.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So far, Staois has managed to acquire a legitimate #1 Vezina winning goalie & a potential top 4 RD who is big, mean, with elite offensive skill, NHL shot, who can play at both ends. Tomorrow & July 1st should be interesting & he still has Chychrun, Joseph & maybe Brannstrom to move.
Slow n steady and you have a chance.
Fast n goofy and you have an ex nhl gm.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Maybe they are thinking they will get a better trade once teams lose out on UFAs, or want to see if they can sign one of their own before trading him.

Would have been nice to make a trade today, but we still have him for one more year if we can't make anything happen.

Also didn't consider it but a lot of teams with a single first probably wanted to have a pick tonight, with all of the focus on the Sphere and it being the last in person draft.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I've got a feeling that Ekblad is coming back in a Florida package if a signed Chychrun goes there, but the value assigned to him isn't going to be high because of his cap hit/injury history/decline in play.

Let's say the Senators strike out on whatever options there are at RHD, and that I am correct about him being difficult to trade or not having a lot of value, he would be a 1 year option to get them through the season. They would still get some assets for Chychrun. Maybe Joseph would go to FLA to even out the cap since Ottawa is rumoured to want to move him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've got a feeling that Ekblad is coming back in a Florida package if a signed Chychrun goes there, but the value assigned to him isn't going to be high because of his cap hit/injury history/decline in play.

Let's say the Senators strike out on whatever options there are at RHD, and that I am correct about him being difficult to trade or not having a lot of value, he would be a 1 year option to get them through the season. They would still get some assets for Chychrun. Maybe Joseph would go to FLA to even out the cap since Ottawa is rumoured to want to move him.

I see that as a possible scenario as well. Chychrun would obviously be willing to sign in Florida and Ekblad fills a need here.

The only problem is this is a short term move. I don't see Joseph going to Florida, they need to clear cap space and I think that's where we come in given not many teams would be able to take on Ekblad's salary.

Something like Chychrun for Ekblad and a 1st in 2025 is something I could see happening. Grand scheme of things Chychrun's value is likely close to 2025 1st on his own and we take Ekblad off their hands - who we ultimately need. Florida gets a good Dman at low AAV and create cap space to sign Reinhart and fill their roster.

I think Chychrun is gone before Monday. I don't know why but I'm convinced Ekblad is coming here. Florida needs to clear cap space asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I don't see the logic in Ekblad waiving his NTC, not just for us but really any team.

I imagine he'd prefer to run it back with Florida and try for another cup next year.

Only way I could see him waiving is if the deal came with a nice extension, which would carry a lot of risk for the team that agrees to one given his injury history and apparent decline in play.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I see that as a possible scenario as well. Chychrun would obviously be willing to sign in Florida and Ekblad fills a need here.

The only problem is this is a short term move. I don't see Joseph going to Florida, they need to clear cap space and I think that's where we come in given not many teams would be able to take on Ekblad's salary.

Something like Chychrun for Ekblad and a 1st in 2025 is something I could see happening. Grand scheme of things Chychrun's value is likely close to 2025 1st on his own and we take Ekblad off their hands - who we ultimately need. Florida gets a good Dman at low AAV and create cap space to sign Reinhart and fill their roster.

I think Chychrun is gone before Monday. I don't know why but I'm convinced Ekblad is coming here. Florida needs to clear cap space asap.

If Ekblad's bonus is paid on July 1st, they could bring in a third part team to retain on him at a relatively lower cost since his base salary is only 4M. 1 year at 2M retention should not cost more than a 2nd or 3rd.

Possibly, it could come at a lower cost from a team like Utah if Ottawa or Florida took Weber's LTIRetired contract, which is insured, but I believe that doesn't cover the entire 2M remaining real money salary.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't see the logic in Ekblad waiving his NTC, not just for us but really any team.

I imagine he'd prefer to run it back with Florida and try for another cup next year.

Only way I could see him waiving is if the deal came with a nice extension, which would carry a lot of risk for the team that agrees to one given his injury history and apparent decline in play.

It depends on what the market is like for him. His NMC becomes a 12 team no-trade clause on July 1st. In a hypothetical scenario where there is no real market for him and the Panthers value the cap space more, they could place him on waivers after his signing bonus is paid and he'd likely be claimed by San Jose.

Similar to McDonagh in Tampa a few years ago, they could take the same approach if the market for him with his cap hit is soft, which apparently was "we can't keep you, work with us to get you somewhere, or else we will be forced to put you on waivers".

If it comes down to San Jose VS Ottawa, he is choosing Ottawa, even without an extension.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
If Ekblad's bonus is paid on July 1st, they could bring in a third part team to retain on him at a relatively lower cost since his base salary is only 4M. 1 year at 2M retention should not cost more than a 2nd or 3rd.

Possibly, it could come at a lower cost from a team like Utah if Ottawa or Florida took Weber's LTIRetired contract, which is insured, but I believe that doesn't cover the entire 2M remaining real money salary.
Utah might retain but would probably value players over picks. I think even Joseph or Brannstrom would have more value to them given all the 2nd and 3rd round picks they already have coming up.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Good news with Detroit going for Trouba is that it would remove Detroit as an option for Matt Roy, who is from Michigan:

If the Rangers are willing to retain $2.5 m per season on Trouba's contract like this article is saying then the Sens should be all over that. Getting Trouba at $5.5 m cap hit over the next two seasons would be fine and he is certainly a kind of player that this defense needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad