Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Again, Chris Tanev is 34 years old and has played some rough miles.

Even if this plan all goes off without a hitch, we'd still be paying big money to a guy with not a lot of runway left. Both Pesce and Roy are 29 years old and still have plenty of good years left, for example.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Even if this plan all goes off without a hitch, we'd still be paying big money to a guy with not a lot of runway left. Both Pesce and Roy are 29 years old and still have plenty of good years left, for example.
The year long evaluation is finished and we have heard enough comments to know that management sees the need for a big culture change.

There is a reason names like Joseph, Kastelic, Chychrun and JBD have been mentioned. It wouldn’t shock me to see Chabot gone if Staios can find a way. This is a good core that needs to be pushed/mentored by the surrounding players so they see what they need to do. I said months ago, the changes made this offseason will be unpopular but will like make this team much better.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Kelces are going to go down as two of the best players to ever play in their position. I don’t think the tanevs carry the same name power

I’d didn’t know who the Kelces were until one of them starting dating Taylor Swift. The power of media

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don’t think Ottawa can just go out shopping for players like other teams can - we need to look for fits and Tanev looks like a perfect fit

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The year long evaluation is finished and we have heard enough comments to know that management sees the need for a big culture change.

There is a reason names like Joseph, Kastelic, Chychrun and JBD have been mentioned. It wouldn’t shock me to see Chabot gone if Staios can find a way. This is a good core that needs to be pushed/mentored by the surrounding players so they see what they need to do. I said months ago, the changes made this offseason will be unpopular but will like make this team much better.

I have no issue whatsoever moving those all those guys out, provided we don't get caught without a chair when the music stops. Tbh I think the Sens have leaned towards sentimentality a little too often in the past, when moving certain guys out or letting them go would have been the better move. The good vibes or positive karma or whatever really doesn't seem to be coming back around as one would have hoped.

Also if we are going to move Joseph, I hope they can find someone to replace his speed because this doesn't strike me as a particularly speedy group otherwise.

All that considered I'm still a little apprehensive about signing Tanev to a big deal at his age.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don’t think Ottawa can just go out shopping for players like other teams can - we need to look for fits and Tanev looks like a perfect fit

That's absolutely a consideration. Obviously none of us can say for sure how fluid the situation is with big name targets is. Maybe Pesce and Roy are already leaning in a particular direction. I just think based on the expected deals those guys are about to get I'd absolutely want us to make similar pitches.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Without the retention by Calgary I would somewhat agree, but at 4M for 2 years Markstrom is very valuable.
you have some merit to what you are saying, but in a year in a half as the trade deadline approaches the question will be do we move Markstrom or resign him and for how much and what is the term, if moved who replaces him, if you have someone in the pipeline you go with Markstrom.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Marstrom is 34, Ullmark 30, I would think Ullmark carries more value.

Markstrom at 34 and 35 for ~4 mil a year

vs

Ullmark at 31 (he turns 31 in a month) at 5 mil, then
Ullmark at 32-36 at ~6.5-7 mil

I think Markstrom is a good value contract, ~4 mil is on the lower end for starters, if he can provide average to above average goaltending, that will be a very team friendly deal with limited risk as it expires when you expect a goalie to start their decline.

Ullmark at 5 mil is similarly a good value contract, I think he's more likely to provide good value on the initial year.
After year 1, he's basically giving you market value, top 5 salary (maybe a bit lower once Shesterkin and Saros extend)
The danger comes towards the end of his extension, where you might end up with a top 5-10 salary but not getting top 10 results as he'll be 35-36 years old. Not a lot of goalies are still top notch at 35+.

I tend to agree Ullmark has more value than Markstrom, but he carries significantly more risk, which limits just how much more value he should carry.

From a Sens perspective, you accept the risk associated with those last two maybe 3 years, but you don't pay a price as though that risk doesn't exist.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What we sign Ullmark for has nothing to do with what he will return

If we are willing to sign him for a deal that isn't wise like a long term 7+ million dollar contract, that's on us. He is going to return the same amount regardless of what he is signed for, barring salary retention adding value to teams.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe and GCK

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That's absolutely a consideration. Obviously none of us can say for sure how fluid the situation is with big name targets is. Maybe Pesce and Roy are already leaning in a particular direction. I just think based on the expected deals those guys are about to get I'd absolutely want us to make similar pitches.

But they will be on 7-8 year deals. I think you can get Tanev for 4-5 years and it takes no resources, free asset you just have to reunite him with his bro which should be easy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t hate him at all, I like him better than Chychrun. I’m just throwing out the idea based on Jacques Martin’s comments.
Ok hate was too strong, you constantly are moving him out, or saying he’s a cap dump etc.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
But they will be on 7-8 year deals. I think you can get Tanev for 4-5 years and it takes no resources, free asset you just have to reunite him with his bro which should be easy
Not sure they have the cap room for Brandon after other moves, unless Seattle is retaining.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Markstrom at 4M x 2 was the big point of value.

Goalies like Stolarz are going to get more money than that. Maybe a slightly lower AAV, but more term.

Most of the big fish on the market like Ullmark, Saros, Gibson, etc require a significant comment. If you're a team who isn't sure if you want to be married to a goalie for 4-7 years, Markstrom would have been the better play.

It's part of why there might be a market for Forsberg. No team is finding an veteran NHL goalie for less term on the open market. Look at Nedeljkovic getting 2 years from Pittsburgh after an okay season. There are not a lot of options.

Pagnotta (I know I know) says Ottawa is still seriously in the mix for Zegras:

Big price is relative. It could be something like a 1st round pick and 1 or 2 other pieces, and most GMs would consider that a big price. Player/pick/prospect. Etc.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not sure they have the cap room for Brandon after other moves, unless Seattle is retaining.

If you buy out Korpisalo and trade Chych and Joseph i think you can squeeze everyone in. Ottawa has some dead weight cap wise.
Could also add a few years to the Tanev deal to lower the AVV and buy those years out when he retires. Lots of room if we get creative

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad