Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Lack of assets? You mean Dorion pissing away picks for years has consequences? Could have sworn that we had lots of picks and it didn't matter...least that's what was said. All these things that the new guys have to clean up. Tough job.

No no, everyone who said that was just a negative hater.

Reactions: DrEasy and Loach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To be fair, Forsberg was fine every other year with us, maybe a down year after double knee injury should have been expected.

As for Korpisalo, I don't trust he will bounce back, but he does have 2 or 3 respectable seasons out of 9 in his career, so there's a chance he could have another one...
Anything is possible

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Kuemper, no retention.

Also

LOL DUBOIS REALLY THOUGHT HE'D BE SPENDING THE NEXT 8 YEARS IN HOLLYWOOD HAHAHAHAHA

What a clown.
That is the singular worst trade I've seen in....well, probably since last off-season to be honest, but it's f***ING PUTRID for Washington - which is fantastic.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Fair enough, although I disagree. I’d gladly give up Bos 1st + a 2nd for Markstrom at 4m x 2yrs. He’s a very good goalie and an absolute workhorse.

This team is not competing in the next 2 years.

To trade a 1st and 2nd for a 35+ year old average goalie who will be retired when we compete after blowing so many high picks would be crazy. Like, Melnyk and dorion era crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Lol Dubois trade tree so ugly for LAK. He was awful last year but he was good the last year in Winnipeg. Tough call, his contract is so bad.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Is Nashville really gonna keep Saros ( re-signed) and top prospect Askarov ? Feel like they gotta cash in on one of them eventually.

Askarov won't be eligible for arbitration for a few more seasons. That's the real choke point.

They could afford cap wise to run them as a tandem until then, so it really would come down to how they project the value of Askarov as a trade piece and whether they think holding on to him will get them a lot less.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
PLD is exactly the type of player that our pro scouting and Pierre Dorion would have went after.

-Big name that doesn't match the production or potential.
-Was good years ago, been average to poor since then. (Our pro scouting is 2-3 years behind on their reports and evaluations)
-Horribly long contract.
-Other team would pay to get rid of him or possibly buy him out.
-Big guy, but plays soft.
-Character issues that's ignored.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
PLD is exactly the type of player that our pro scouting and Pierre Dorion would have went after.

-Was good years ago, been average to poor since then. (Our pro scouting is 2-3 years behind on their reports and evaluations)
-Horribly long contract.
I'm pretty sure a bunch of people on this forum wanted him too. What a complete bum of a player.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So that's the price of getting out of the Korpisalo contract, eh? Kuemper has one less year, but higher AAV. He's older than Korpi, but still has a much better track record.

In other words, buying out Korpisalo is the way.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't mind the Dubois trade for Washington.

You have to keep in mind where their team is in terms of their build. They are on the last dying gasp of Ovechkin's career and they don't have anything to really transition to.

Look at it this way, this trade is like Washington signing Dubois to a 3 year 3.25M contract because Kuemper was a sunk cost, and after those 3 years Ovechkin will be gone and they will embark on a long rebuild where the Dubois cap won't matter.

It's a win/win trade for both sides. LAK gets out of a big chunk of the Dubois contract and Washington gambles on adding a possible start, where if it doesn't workout, the opportunity cost cap wise is not very high.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There might be a reason as to why Washington made one of the dumbest trades in a long time and acquired one of the worst contracts in the league.

The reason they were in a position to make the trade is that they don't care about the back half of the Dubois contract since they will be in a full scale rebuild, and Kuemper as a sunk cost made Dubois a cheap add over the next 3 seasons.

Pittsburgh is maybe the only other team that would be in a similar position, but I don't think they have anybody they could have dumped that LAK would have taken.

It's a smart trade on paper. If Dubois is toxic or has some major personality flaws that lead to him being as bad as he has been, maybe it doesn't work out. I don't know. But it is certainly a worthwhile gamble to take for a team in the position the Capitals are in.

How good does Dubois have to be to justify adding 3.25M to the cap over the next 3 seasons? That's not even Korpisalo money!

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
LA would have been better off buying Dubois out
This team is not competing in the next 2 years.

To trade a 1st and 2nd for a 35+ year old average goalie who will be retired when we compete after blowing so many high picks would be crazy. Like, Melnyk and dorion era crazy.
Theoretically youre 100% right. I was speaking more to the value/in a vacuum.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
LEAGUE EXECS are giving Bruce the trade packages again.

That's a stupid price to pay, unless Korpisalo is going the other way.

That article has to be a plant to help justify if our team fails to acquire a top goalie. Make sure people know just how absurd the prices are so that they are relieved rather than upset when we end up with a Korpisalo/Jack Campbell tandem.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

-Horribly long contract.
I think this a good move for Washington.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Yeah that’s a price you pay for Saros with an extension. Not a 30 year old Ullmark playing behind one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Reactions: Senscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad