Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

1718828728612.gif

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm still very skeptical that Ullmark would agree to come here, but NJ and LA being off the board as potential destinations is good news.

Would probably have to overpay significantly to convince him, but it may be worth it.
I’m not sure why he would block a move if it came with an extension.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we were really in on Markstrom, then we had a way to get Korpisalo out of here. One way or another.
We could move Forsberg instead, especially if we were aiming for the same retention.

Forberg, 25th oa plus a prospect for Markstrom at 4 mil would only be about 1 mil more than we currently spend on goaltending. Not a deal I'd make, but the point is there are viable alternatives to moving Korpisalo as an absolute.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’m not sure why he would block a move if it came with an extension.

If he can get a nice extension from a team down south I'm sure he'd prefer that, but if we're the only team offering a big long-term deal I could see him agreeing to it.

I will take this moment to remind y’all that the Sens really like Bonk, at least previous management did.

If they could get Bonk and draft Dickinson…

I'd trade down from 7 to 12 to add Bonk.

But I'm sure it'll be something dumb like Joseph + 2nd for Laughton.

Reactions: DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We could move Forsberg instead, especially if we were aiming for the same retention.

Forberg, 25th oa plus a prospect for Markstrom at 4 mil would only be about 1 mil more than we currently spend on goaltending. Not a deal I'd make, but the point is there are viable alternatives to moving Korpisalo as an absolute.
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I didn't clarify the overall point I was making but the idea/theory was that if they were looking at Markstrom in any serious way then they had a contingency to move one of the goalies to slot him in. Korpisalo makes the most sense to me given his contract but I already floated Forsberg as a possible trade target for Calgary, given the weakness of the goalie free agent pool and availability of other goalies on similar terms to him in trade. Anyway, seems to be a moot point since Markstrom went to NJ.

However, I think it's an indication that goaltending might be the priority this offseason. They wouldn't be involved in any trade talks for a goalie like Markstrom, 34 and on the back side of his career, if they didn't have some way to shuffle out one or both of the goalies currently there.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If he can get a nice extension from a team down south I'm sure he'd prefer that, but if we're the only team offering a big long-term deal I could see him agreeing to it.

I'd trade down from 7 to 12 to add Bonk.

But I'm sure it'll be something dumb like Joseph + 2nd for Laughton.
Getting Laughton for Joseph and a 2nd would be a smart move. Getting additional vets to mentor our core guys.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I didn't clarify the overall point I was making but the idea/theory was that if they were looking at Markstrom in any serious way then they had a contingency to move one of the goalies to slot him in. Korpisalo makes the most sense to me given his contract but I already floated Forsberg as a possible trade target for Calgary, given the weakness of the goalie free agent pool and availability of other goalies on similar terms to him in trade. Anyway, seems to be a moot point since Markstrom went to NJ.

However, I think it's an indication that goaltending might be the priority this offseason. They wouldn't be involved in any trade talks for a goalie like Markstrom, 34 and on the back side of his career, if they didn't have some way to shuffle out one or both of the goalies currently there.
So, I think they've already said goaltending needs to be better. If the price for Markstrom was say a 2nd (no retention) making a move for him to provide short term stability in net could make sense, regardless of whether we think we're close or not. Bad goaltending undermines team confidence and imo you can sit on the type of performance we had last year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me why Laughton is more valuable than Joseph. He's also significantly older.
He’s a guy who has been in the league a long time, is a pro’s pro. Joseph has had a couple good months in the past 2 seasons.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me why Laughton is more valuable than Joseph. He's also significantly older.

He's not much better, if at all. Brings more toughness and versatility but is older and slower.

If we deal Joseph + another nice asset for Laughton it'd be just like the Brassard for Zibanejad deal, just with lower stakes.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Really insightful stuff from this kid. Could be Konecny, could be Laughton, could be picks, could be players, could be multiple pieces.

#Insider

:laugh:
Yup, just wild speculation. But having fun with it:

Chychrun, Joseph, 7OA
for
Koneckny, Laughton, 12OA

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Getting Laughton for Joseph and a 2nd would be a smart move. Getting additional vets to mentor our core guys.
OK, but we still haven’t addressed the 2 biggest needs and have a little less in the way of assets to utilize. Its still early, but …….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad