Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Weegar isn’t getting moved apparently the Flames will be big players July 1st.

Not surprising. They are attempting to re-tool, not scorch it to the ground. Regardless of how much people think they should, it's never seemed to be the plan if you read the tea leaves from their media availability.
I was never particularly confident about these numerous trade proposals with Calgary that we’ve seen here lately. While a retool seemed likely enough, it never seemed likely they’d be giving away decent assets that still had value for underwhelming offers. And when you slide Korpisalo in there as part of the Ottawa offer, that hill became very steep.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
LA would have been better off buying Dubois out

Theoretically youre 100% right. I was speaking more to the value/in a vacuum.

I wonder if the Oilers forcing a game 6 lead to this trade.

If the series goes to 7 games, Dubois will turn 26 before the season technically ends. That means that the Kings don't get the 1/3 buyout ratio of Oilers win on Friday.

Perhaps they considered the buyout but didn't want to wait to see if the season would end on Friday because this Capitals deal could fall through, or the Kings would be dealing from an even weaker position where they can't use the prospect of a cheaper buyout as leverage to get a better trade.

Completely ignoring the original cost to acquire Dubois, this was a really good opportunity to dump him.

Keep in mind, they can still buyout Kuemper and it's more palatable than a Dubois 1/3 buyout.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I wonder if the Oilers forcing a game 6 lead to this trade.

If the series goes to 7 games, Dubois will turn 26 before the season technically ends. That means that the Kings don't get the 1/3 buyout ratio of Oilers win on Friday.

Perhaps they considered the buyout but didn't want to wait to see if the season would end on Friday because this Capitals deal could fall through, or the Kings would be dealing from an even weaker position where they can't use the prospect of a cheaper buyout as leverage to get a better trade.

Completely ignoring the original cost to acquire Dubois, this was a really good opportunity to dump him.

Keep in mind, they can still buyout Kuemper and it's more palatable than a Dubois 1/3 buyout.
Good point re Kuemper’s buyout. Didnt look into that.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I will take this moment to remind y’all that the Sens really like Bonk, at least previous management did.

If they could get Bonk and draft Dickinson…
I don't know if I should take your Chychrun for Bonk post on the main board as a suggestion/prediction or something else...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Chychrun AND 25th overall? Yeah f*** off. That's not happening without Korpisalo going the other way.

Ullmark better come with an extension!

After that you buyout Korpisalo and play Ullmark a bunch!

Probably be Chychrun, Forsberg and picks for Ullmark.
Given what NJ paid to get Markstrom, I’m not sure Chychrun and Boston’s 1st (25th overall) is going to be enough. I get that we’d want to move Forsberg to avoid having too many goalies and additional cap. But, I’m not sure what Boston’s perspective would be, and whether that would be viewed as a positive asset to add to make the deal more appealing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The reason they were in a position to make the trade is that they don't care about the back half of the Dubois contract since they will be in a full scale rebuild, and Kuemper as a sunk cost made Dubois a cheap add over the next 3 seasons.

Pittsburgh is maybe the only other team that would be in a similar position, but I don't think they have anybody they could have dumped that LAK would have taken.

It's a smart trade on paper. If Dubois is toxic or has some major personality flaws that lead to him being as bad as he has been, maybe it doesn't work out. I don't know. But it is certainly a worthwhile gamble to take for a team in the position the Capitals are in.

How good does Dubois have to be to justify adding 3.25M to the cap over the next 3 seasons? That's not even Korpisalo money!
IF..?!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Flyers are moving up to 7 and we are moving down to 12. The trade is contingent on a certain player being around at 7, who is likely to be there, but they won't pull the trigger until they know for sure.

They are taking Korpisalo and there are a few other roster players involved and more assets going to them.

It doesn't involve Chychrun. We were trying to leverage Calgary with that pick (Iginla) but they would not take Korpisalo. Markstrom going to NJD was the domino that resulted in Ottawa looking more seriously at the Flyers and that trade getting completed.

That will clear the deck so that Ottawa can focus on acquiring a goalie with Chychrun and the BOS 1st, and the two trades together will make major shifts to the roster.

The above are fake rumors I am writing for my Twitter account. I'm just not sure to add in that we are trying to convince David Legwand to come out of retirement. Seems a bit unrealistic.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yes and apparently LA and NJD were both on it. So far it doesn't seem like the standard NTC lists we're used to seeing. Maybe there's a sparkle of hope he'd be willing to come to Ottawa.
Yeah I gotcha. Just wanted to make that tidbit explicit

I’m gonna guess Couturier with some retention
A Norris-Couturier trade would be bonkers

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He also only has a partial NTC

I think that the dynamic of Ullmark waiving is completely different at the deadline when he cannot sign an extension and is going to go to a new system where he isn't guaranteed to look great right off the bat.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was more open to waiving now because he could secure the bag with a long-term extension at top goalie money, trade protection, and maybe some signing bonuses. I find it hard to believe that if a team were to offer him something like 6 years at 5.5M with a NMC in the first half of the contract and 2M of signing bonuses per season, that he would turn it down. That's like the upper end of his market value. A buyout proof 5-6 year contract around 5.5M.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm still very skeptical that Ullmark would agree to come here, but NJ and LA being off the board as potential destinations is good news.

Would probably have to overpay significantly to convince him, but it may be worth it.

Reactions: Relapsing

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I'm still very skeptical that Ullmark would agree to come here, but NJ and LA being off the board as potential destinations is good news.

Would probably have to overpay significantly to convince him, but it may be worth it.
I am more skeptical about Boston trading him here than I am about Ullmark extending here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Any guesses for Flyers/Senators trade ?

I’ll say Joseph for Noah Cates.

If it happens closer to the draft, it makes me think that there are other moving parts.

Either, the Flyers are taking Korpisalo and the Senators only do the trade if they can make a deal for a goalie - or the trade involves the 7th OA pick and the Flyers like someone who may or may not be there. Or, the Senators really like someone who may or may not be there and will only pull the trigger if they aren't there at 7th OA.

There has to be a reason why it won't be done until closer to the draft.

I don't think they want to add a big money goalie without dumping Korpisalo because we have so little cap flexibility going forward and have multiple needs this off season. It wouldn't surprise me if this Pinto stuff has more to do with not knowing if we will even have 5M to sign Pinto, vs not thinking he is worth 5M.

Last edited:
Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad