GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Landeskog's LTIR only kicks in on day 1 of the season though. Until then they can only go over by 10% of the cap. This limits their flexibility.
Are you sure? I thought if they stayed on through the RS and playoffs that it carried over? He hasn't been "taken off LTIR".

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
L
How'd that work out for Calgary?
Like a gamble that didn't come out. But you were saying nobody does it, but you ALSO don't want to use hindsight to justify it when anyone else talks about it, so what the f*** are you even arguing about? :laugh:

SEAL, you want to cherry pick this so bad and you're just not good at it. Give it a rest.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To add to this. Kane wasn't happy about DeBrincat going and it's flashes of Sid and Jake and Sid not being happy losing Jake. Both moves started that rebuild.

They made the playoffs and were out in the first round. Then missed and were missing again and moved out Hagel, etc. Pens aren't seeing they're in the same f***ing boat and instead of doing a proper tear down, it's some mishmash shit that solves nothing and kicks the can down the road to avoid the problem that is unavoidable.

That's literally what the Penguins are doing right now.

They sold Guentzel at the deadline and sold Smith when free agency started. They're doing the same exact thing the Hawks did with their rebuild.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Obviously you don't judge a cake before it's actually finished baking but I'm sorry... I gotta wonder where some of you are getting confidence in there being a plan or lane picked or whatever cliche you want to use. This all seems very confused to me, at least.

I mean it's whatever but this notion that the team has finally decided to do things one way or the other to my eyes is patently false. So far this has all the hallmarks of a "compromise roster." At least they aren't signing long term deals. Yet.
You don't think it's telling that they didn't keep Jake through the TDL in some pathetic, last ditch effort to re-sign him for whatever he wanted? Or that they took on dead cap for a pick with Hayes? Or refused to give term or big money to anyone in FA (so far)?

I dunno. I'm not saying it's gonna be fun, but this team's approach is definitely shifted imo. It's just the start, and we'll still have to suffer through Sullivan until his deal's up, but it for sure feels different than it's felt since Sid was drafted.

It's bittersweet because like you've said, it didn't have to be this ugly. But the handiwork of JR, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan and the idiocy of FSG and Mario's final year(s) as owner just ratf***ed the era. Maybe it's wishful thinking by a guy who has wanted this for a while, but feels like the first step. /shrug

Reactions: Empoleon8771

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Continue that path.

Or go the other way (too late for that, really).

Jake was a forced hand. There's absolutely no reason to give credit there if you're being honest about it. Not like he had 1-2 years left.

Turn around and spend 7-8M in goaltending....for what exactly? What exactly are we trying to do here?
huh? If we were desperately trying to compete we absolutely would have just held onto him. We've seen that in the past. This is literally the first time we sold a player before losing them for nothing.

Also, i hate to be "logically consistent," but i was replaying to a post that said we wouldn't sell players on 1-year contracts at the deadline. I was specifically countering that point with the most-recent evidence possible.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
L

Like a gamble that didn't come out. But you were saying nobody does it, but you ALSO don't want to use hindsight to justify it when anyone else talks about it, so what the f*** are you even arguing about? :laugh:

SEAL, you want to cherry pick this so bad and you're just not good at it. Give it a rest.
:laugh: what exactly am I cherry picking?

First, the Tkachuk trade is a little different than the ones you were talking about.

Second, it's hardly cherry picking to point out that there are two sides to every trade.

I mean, what are you even arguing at this point? "We should have trade Dumo and Orpik when they had value"? Beauty of an analysis there, bud.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
How'd that work out for Calgary?
Calgary's issue was their GM was an epic tit. He botched the Gaudreau negotiations and burned that bridge entirely and the ripple effect was losing him and Tkachuk and essentially the start of a rebuild with a shitty gm hire.

Penguins issue is their dipshit GM'S keep trying to come up with a plan with a coach that lost the plot in 2017-18 and hasn't figured it out since.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Can't wait to see them buy him a lawn mower and treat him like a franchise legend in two years.
“Kevin Hayes, 36, calls it a career”

“Kevin Hayes has retired. And while his tenure with the Penguins will be remembered by fans as another unremarkable aging veteran on bad Penguins teams, scoring 36 points in 129 games, I can tell you this: he will be a legend to the people who shared the building with him for the past 24 months. “Hayesy” was adored by teammates, coaches and staff for his antics and personality”

- Josh Yohe or Rob Rossi

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
That's literally what the Penguins are doing right now.

They sold Guentzel at the deadline and sold Smith when free agency started. They're doing the same exact thing the Hawks did with their rebuild.
Lol sold Smith and the Jake trade is barely moving the needle for what needs to be done vs the shit they've added that Sullivan wants which negated a lot of the push for a rebuild and youth movement almost entirely.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
huh? If we were desperately trying to compete we absolutely would have just held onto him. We've seen that in the past. This is literally the first time we sold a player before losing them for nothing.

Also, i hate to be "logically consistent," but i was replaying to a post that said we wouldn't sell players on 1-year contracts at the deadline. I was specifically countering that point with the most-recent evidence possible.

Are we sure Jake even wanted to re-sign here?

Seems pretty obvious he went to the market that he could make the most money in possible.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Awwwww... but if we didn't what ever would YOU do?
Post like a villain in an 80s movie who's gonna turn the rec center into a parking lot.
:laugh: what exactly am I cherry picking?

First, the Tkachuk trade is a little different than the ones you were talking about.

Second, it's hard cherry picking to point out that there are two sides to every trade.

I mean, what are you even arguing at this point? "We should have trade Dumo and Orpik when they had value"? Beauty of an analysis there, bud.
Yeah, that's the whole point of talking about past history. You asked for what I would have done, I gave it to you. I can't help that I argued for things that were better at that moment, lord knows I've backed a lot more losing horses. Honestly, it's not good for a man your age to get this worked up over dumb things.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol sold Smith and the Jake trade is barely moving the needle for what needs to be done vs the shit they've added that Sullivan wants which negated a lot of the push for a rebuild and youth movement almost entirely.

Go look at the actual Hawks rebuild and the rate at which they sold off people. They didn't go any faster than the Penguins have gone so far.

Their rebuild started in the 2021 off-season and they didn't trade Kane until the 2023 deadline.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I also wonder if the Hawks rebuild would have taken even longer to get to if humanity didn't absolutely turn against that organization

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Quick name 5 great trades without thinking about past events. Remembering is cheating!

I also wonder if the Hawks rebuild would have taken even longer to get to if humanity didn't absolutely turn against that organization
I wouldn't say humanity given the general Cubby vibe, but they lost the Wisconsin suburbs and that means no more cheese curds and fireworks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You don't think it's telling that they didn't keep Jake through the TDL in some pathetic, last ditch effort to re-sign him for whatever he wanted? Or that they took on dead cap for a pick with Hayes? Or refused to give term or big money to anyone in FA (so far)?

I dunno. I'm not saying it's gonna be fun, but this team's approach is definitely shifted imo. It's just the start, and we'll still have to suffer through Sullivan until his deal's up, but it for sure feels different than it's felt since Sid was drafted.

It's bittersweet because like you've said, it didn't have to be this ugly. But the handiwork of JR, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan and the idiocy of FSG and Mario's final year(s) as owner just ratf***ed the era. Maybe it's wishful thinking by a guy who has wanted this for a while, but feels like the first step. /shrug

We'll see. I'm surprised you of all people think the tiger changed it's stripes this fast. We all know who is still behind the bench. He almost always gets what he wants. Look who they just hired to run the powerplay.

But yes. It's very clear that they have at least shifted gears on being "all in." But that doesn't mean that they are simply going to do what you all want them to and start selling everything not bolted down or start adopting this philosophy of buying up players and then turning around and selling them off. I think the idea was to give the HC the kinds of players he wanted for ALL of next year but only at reasonable prices instead of multi-year deals for everyone who makes the list.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Quick name 5 great trades without thinking about past events. Remembering is cheating!

I wouldn't say humanity given the general Cubby vibe, but they lost the Wisconsin suburbs and that means no more cheese curds and fireworks.
Toews went from WOW WHAT A GREAT LEADER AND AMAZING PLAYER WHO IS JUST PAST HIS PRIME! to pile of human shit reallllllll quick.

I know it's kinda come back around now that some time has past (especially with Hawks fans), but in the immediacy of it all, he was not well-liked, and moving on from him was definitely made easier by the whole situation. (and even then, it was still way past his expiration date)

Nothing like that is going to happen with the Penguins (knock on wood), so i can't see Sid, et al, ever being forced out

Reactions: Malkinstheman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
“Kevin Hayes, 36, calls it a career”

“Kevin Hayes has retired. And while his tenure with the Penguins will be remembered by fans as another unremarkable aging veteran on bad Penguins teams, scoring 36 points in 129 games, I can tell you this: he will be a legend to the people who shared the building with him for the past 24 months. “Hayesy” was adored by teammates, coaches and staff for his antics and personality”

- Josh Yohe or Rob Rossi
You forgot "the Penguins chipped in and got him a lawnmower, leaf blower, and weedeater".
Very interesting off-season for them. I would have thought they would have waited an additional year or two before trying to pull out of the gutter but they committed some real money and real term to decent players. Add what they have to Bedard and Levshunov and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Assuming Lizotte is relatively inexpensive, the Pens have 5 million in cap space and all their draft picks.

I don't see the point in complaining yet. If a compelling youngish player becomes available the Pens have the ability to do it now. Work isn't done yet.. whether it's now or during the season. Like Dubas said, they could even take another cap casualty and nab a free pick again.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Wait wait wait, a much better use of our time is go through draft by draft and looking at all they players they COULD have drafted and then bemoaning the fact they didn't!

:rolleyes:

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
We have Graves' and Letang's contract term extending out long so they can pass on their knowledge to young defenseman so we don't need Petts around. I mean when defenseman asks about Sullivan's defensive prowess/system, they both should be able to answer, "There isn't any so don't worry about it, there isn't any thing to learn".

I think we'll have Graves, Jarry and Rakell around for awhile. I have my doubts on Rust being movable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad