GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The best thing Dubas did today (and it's not nothing, tbf) is he didn't overpay. But woof, this roster is still a mess.

If we are going to play this game of acquire players to get picks. He should've actually overpaid.

Like San Jose you give name players like Wennberg short term high salary deals you can flip.

Out of the crop we signed I think the best you get is a 3rd for Gryz if he really pops here.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Lizotte is a good add, but with Hayes, Eller, Acciari, Beauvillier and Bemstrom, I fail to see the reason in signing him.
Definitely fair. Bemstrom and Acciari can kick rocks tbh. I like Eller here, but if someone wants to give us value for him, he can go too.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I think Rust is absolutely gone by this time next year with his NTC dropping off, the direction the team seems to be headed, and with Rust probably not wanting to circle the drain for the rest of his career. Couldn't care less about the guy though--wanted him dealt before Hextall re-signed him, and I think his production's heavily inflated by being Sully's pet and being given tons of opportunity with special teams time and TOI/centers.
My prediction. Rust ends up in Vancouver whenever he is traded. Just my wild stab in the dark hail mary prediction.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Some things in life you just gotta accept as universal constants. Pixies having a deranged meltdown at everything Sullivan or Dubas do (or don't) is one of them. /shrug

Team's finally picked a direction. I'm happy, even if it means the team's gonna keep getting worse than the already shitty squad we've been watching for years.

I'm stoked this team didn't lock into like 4 years of Wennberg tbh. Maybe my expectations are too low, but this team's been dead for years. They're finally acknowledging it, which I didn't think they would with Sid still around.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The best thing Dubas did today (and it's not nothing, tbf) is he didn't overpay. But woof, this roster is still a mess.

Yeah you don't go out and dish money on day one. Especially for depth players. I'm glad we've at least finally learned that lesson. But yeah I'm sorry that lineup as of right now is gnarly. Also not much space for any of this team's NHL ready prospects from the look of it.

I still remain unconvinced that this team has actually picked a real direction. And no I'm sorry but "we can have BOTH!" is not a real direction.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
by the way, the second greatest player in team history and one of the 5 best players of all time (f*** off) wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh. The ownership group is allowing this to happen. Given the player wants to stay and the ownership group wants him to stay, why exactly is anyone blaming Dubas for this? What do you want Dubas to do? Convince Sid to leave? Convince ownership to kick him out of town?

The situation sucks, I get it, but so many of you are saying 'we understand the situation sucks,' but then you're all acting like it's fixable.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He didn’t make any mistakes that can’t disappear 12 months from now. That’s the a good UFA to me.
We say as we wait for terms. :laugh:

For me, the biggest flaw with the whole "get reclamation guys and flip them" is that under Sullivan, new acquisitions usually post career lows.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
by the way, the second greatest player in team history and one of the 5 best players of all time (f*** off) wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh. The ownership group is allowing this to happen. Given the player wants to stay and the ownership group wants him to stay, why exactly is anyone blaming Dubas for this? What do you want Dubas to do? Convince Sid to leave? Convince ownership to kick him out of town?

The situation sucks, I get it, but so many of you are saying 'we understand the situation sucks,' but then you're all acting like it's fixable.

1. Make creative moves.
2. Focus on acquiring players that return value in trades. Not Kevin Hayes.
3. Don't sign players that will block out prospects like Puustinen, Ponomarev, and Poulin like Lizotte, and Beauvillier. Don't give Mike Sullivan the vet options.
4. Enter the season with capspace that allows you to act as a third party in trades.
5. Rinse and repeat

It's not that hard. Dubas is just an unimaginative hack that has not had any success in his career in the NHL.

Reactions: Nfumass and eXile3

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Better yet, expand the deal. Add in Jarry and take back Giorgiev, with a small amount of retention, and Colton from them. "Solve" their goaltending, get Jarry off our books and see what that is worth to them in terms of futures.
That's too good to be true

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So are Kevin Hayes and Matt Grzelcyk and yet they are here. Those players aren’t the anti-thesis of what Mike Sullivan wants… so they will be here
Kevin Hayes is not here because he helps. He's here because we got a low 2nd for taking him.

Gryz was POJ Plan B.
Not once have I said anything about Dubas or what Dubas has done. I don't need to. I'm focusing on your meandering, directionless, contradictory, and seemingly amorphous complaining about Kyle Dubas. It's one thing to raise a complaint. It's one thing to be unhappy with the team and the direction. It's another to make 100s of posts in a 24 hour period with hyperbolic, nonsensical, contradictory statements about what the GM has done.

It makes reading these threads impossible because it's just projectile vomit on top of projectile vomit about how every move he makes is literally the dumbest thing a Penguins GM has ever done and it's clear he doesn't know what he's doing, all while using absolutely juvenile "insults" like "kindergarten kyle."

It's like the Dollar General of online takes, but you're spamming it every time the 60 second limit is up. We get it, Kyle Dubas is horrible. You got anything intelligent to add to the happy meal?
dFmrX3B.jpg

Bemstrom still here is bizarre. He wasn't good at all and Acciari sucks.
AHL monster. That's where he'll go unless there are major injuries.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Penguins Twitter would now beat Penguins Facebook in the Pens fan special olympics I fear

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We say as we wait for terms. :laugh:

For me, the biggest flaw with the whole "get reclamation guys and flip them" is that under Sullivan, new acquisitions usually post career lows.

Much like last year, around the deadline we will hear "teams didn't want to make a move for any of the players the Penguins acquired".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad