Frank Seravalli " Worst GM Award , Jarmo Kekalainen, Mike Grier a close 2nd" Agree or disagree?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't think you can really tell with Grier just yet, He gets a + for giving a direction though its not terribly hard to strip a roster and tank. The time when Greir's prowess as a GM will be tested will be this summer where he'll have to build a roster that will allow their prospects and rookies to grow.

Having Eklund, Shakir, and others go into next season with no veteran presence is not going to do any favors to their development.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Jarno so bad Columbus is still getting fleeced even though he isn't even there anymore.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sharks don't have a retention spot for the next 2 years and they will only have 1 retention spot for 4 years after those 2

But who cares?

They used their retention spots to get rid of crappy contracts the previous administration saddled them with.

I don't really think they care that they might not get an extra 6th round pick next year by doing a 3rd party retention or something. They dumped a $50 million albatross for basically two 1st round picks.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Which assets were those? He got two late 1sts for two high 3rds. Moved up the draft 30-40 spots next year and flipped a third for a guy who might be a third line center.

Smart GMs take back healthy players they can pump and flip for more capital in the future.

Have you seen that roster? How are they going to pump anyone's value?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
But who cares?

They used their retention spots to get rid of crappy contracts the previous administration saddled them with.

I don't really think they care that they might not get an extra 6th round pick next year by doing a 3rd party retention or something. They dumped a $50 million albatross for basically two 1st round picks.
It limits the ability to make future trades, looking at the Sharks there isn't thing worth while left that might be available for teams to pay more if the Sharks retain

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It limits the ability to make future trades, looking at the Sharks there isn't thing worth while left that might be available for teams to pay more if the Sharks retain

There is no possible trade coming that could possibly be more important than dumping the horrible Hertl deal and miraculously getting two 1st round picks back for it.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There is no possible trade coming that could possibly be more important than dumping the horrible Hertl deal and miraculously getting two 1st round picks back for it.
Technically it's only 1 and tr sharks paid 2 3rds, too.

I imagine the sharks could have deal Hertl in the offseason and wouldn't have had to retain, but would have taken a contract, or two back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Grier should have taken Old man Holland to the cleaners last year and taken Bouchard in a package for Erik Karlsson and raaaaaaan. Ran like the wind, but he wanted to hang on for what he thought was a better deal later ... nope.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Technically it's only 1 and tr sharks paid 2 3rds, too.

I imagine the sharks could have deal Hertl in the offseason and wouldn't have had to retain, but would have taken a contract, or two back.

The other is a solidly developing 2023 1st.

I’m frankly astonished they got someone to take that deal with that little retention.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Grier set them up well, no matter what they were destined for the tank battle next year too. This helps them out. Some people seem to value 3rd rounders more than being securely top 3. Being securely top 3 is a better odds bet of success than being 5-9 range with an extra 3rd

Reactions: HabsQC

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Grier should have taken Old man Holland to the cleaners last year and taken Bouchard in a package for Erik Karlsson and raaaaaaan. Ran like the wind, but he wanted to hang on for what he thought was a better deal later ... nope.
In hindsight the deal Grier got for Karlsson is looking fantastic? The first rounder is looking to be a big piece, Granlund has rebounded after a disasterous year, and gets 10 million off the books starting next year.

Any Edmonton deal would have been a 50% retained Karlsson, and then an expensive Bouchard on a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Mr Positive

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The other is a solidly developing 2023 1st.

I’m frankly astonished they got someone to take that deal with that little retention.

So, many including me, arent following the Sharks too closely lately.

How bad is Hertl aging? As early as last year he seemed like a solid player.

If he can fit as a 2nd C for 3-4 years at under 7M, thats solid value in my books.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
So, many including me, arent following the Sharks too closely lately.

How bad is Hertl aging? As early as last year he seemed like a solid player.

If he can fit as a 2nd C for 3-4 years at under 7M, thats solid value in my books.

Sure, for a team like Vegas it could be, but his contract doesn't really fit with many cap structures:

- Most teams that are win now cannot afford him as the cap hasn't gone up yet and aren't LTIR'd flexible
- Most teams that are rebuilding won't give up the assets for a player with six more years at that AAV in his declining years, better opportunities and they need to keep a look on their future cap flexibility.
- NMC limited the opportunities even further.

For a team that is so limited in options, I think Grier did good enough. Sharks are firmly in the second option, and sure, they didn't NEED to trade Hertl now as opposed to like in two or three years... But in three years, retention on Karlsson is coming off as well, so guaranteeing the flexibility now while getting valuable assets back is not something I can really fault.

Reactions: abo9

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A lot of time the surrounding context explains the differences in perceived performance. For Grier he likely has other pressures like a mandate to clear salary, and yet it's hard to get teams to take on salary in a cap world. So you won't get the full value.

plus of course there is luck involved

Reactions: WSS11

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Only other potential dude on that roster that might have some value with retention is Couture. They free up a retention spot after the end of next season. No one is going to be trying to trade for Couture this year, hes played 6 games and has been injured majority of the year. If he plays next year and does decent, I could see him getting moved the following summer when they get their retention spot back.

Dont think its a big deal they might miss out on a 4th round pick to retain a random.

Rockman74

Feb 10, 2024
Frank Seravalli may get insights from teams, but to me, his hockey knowledge stops there. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad