Former Ducks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
PV has a lot of kissing up to do to make me get over that "trade". Nic was everything you wanted in a 4th liner, and more.

I know it may be a joke to some of you getting worked up over losing a 4th liner, but many nights he was the reason to keep the game on. Not just for the fighting, but the effort, entertainment level and that smile of his (and the guys on the bench around him).

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I don't know that you can blame Verbeek for the trade if Deslauriers really asked to be traded:

"He won’t admit it. Guerin won’t admit it. But it’s very clear that Deslauriers asked to be traded from the Ducks to a playoff team. He has made clear he knew for weeks he was getting traded and that he knew which teams were interested, an indication that there was open communication between new GM Pat Verbeek and his agent, Philippe Lecavalier,..."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't know that you can blame Verbeek for the trade if Deslauriers really asked to be traded:
ehhh... that was the author's speculation. Des just said he knew for weeks he was being traded. We really don't know the truth.

We do know now that there were talks with Des, Rakell, and Lindholm. There were no talks with Manson's group.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
ehhh... that was the author's speculation. Des just said he knew for weeks he was being traded. We really don't know the truth.

We do know now that there were talks with Des, Rakell, and Lindholm. There were no talks with Manson's group.

That's why I said,"if."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That's why I said,"if."

You're doing what the author is doing by using the "thinking past the sale" persuasion. Sure, Des got traded and that's all we really know. The author planted a seed and you bought into it by reiterating it by starting your thought with "I don't know that you can blame Verbeek for the trade", which is thinking past the sale.

Remember how so many people keep saying that Verbeek has no attachment to this team. And Verbeek would get assets if he cannot retain his UFA's.

The author, Russo, is the Wild's writer for the Athletic like Stephens is for the Ducks. GM Murray traded for Des before the 2019-20 season. Des signed a two-year extension in 2020 knowing it's a rebuild situation. Russo wrote a wonderful article, but threw in a fanciful thought to his Wild faithful. Without proof, then it should just remain a fanciful thought and nothing more.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That's not really speculation when he's accusing the other camps of refusing to admit it andbhe's saying it's pretty clear to him. He's not asking questions.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Even if that's not true, Verbeek said he wasn't going to let any UFAs walk for nothing. You have to assume Des wasn't going to sign here. The fact that it's rumored he wanted to go to a playoff team only makes more sense now.

Regardless, good for him. He deserves it.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That's not really speculation when he's accusing the other camps of refusing to admit it andbhe's saying it's pretty clear to him. He's not asking questions.
Accusing is another way of saying speculative belief. While the speculative belief clear in the writer's mind, he admits there is no clear proof of said clarity in belief.

He writes for the Wild. If there is no proof, then it's a fanciful thought. If there's proof, then I'll agree.

From the article:
He won’t admit it. Guerin won’t admit it. But it’s very clear that Deslauriers asked to be traded from the Ducks to a playoff team. He has made clear he knew for weeks he was getting traded and that he knew which teams were interested, an indication that there was open communication between new GM Pat Verbeek and his agent, Philippe Lecavalier, former NHL star Vincent Lecavalier’s brother.​

That's fanciful thought to hype up the Wild readers. Players traded for at the TDL are often going to playoff teams and Anaheim were sellers. The Wild were one of those playoff teams that won Des' contract.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Even if that's not true, Verbeek said he wasn't going to let any UFAs walk for nothing. You have to assume Des wasn't going to sign here. The fact that it's rumored he wanted to go to a playoff team only makes more sense now.

Regardless, good for him. He deserves it.

Yeah, like a non-playoff team is willing to trade a 3rd round pick for Des, in the last year of his contract.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Accusing is another way of saying speculative belief. While the speculative belief clear in the writer's mind, he admits there is no clear proof of said clarity in belief.

He writes for the Wild. If there is no proof, then it's a fanciful thought. If there's proof, then I'll agree.

From the article:
He won’t admit it. Guerin won’t admit it. But it’s very clear that Deslauriers asked to be traded from the Ducks to a playoff team. He has made clear he knew for weeks he was getting traded and that he knew which teams were interested, an indication that there was open communication between new GM Pat Verbeek and his agent, Philippe Lecavalier, former NHL star Vincent Lecavalier’s brother.​

That's fanciful thought to hype up the Wild readers. Players traded for at the TDL are often going to playoff teams and Anaheim were sellers. The Wild were one of those playoff teams that won Des' contract.
Speculative belief means two very different things for fans and journalists who cover the team, doubly so when Russo's the best. He's not trying to make Wild fans feel better or whatever you're getting at(which makes no sense), he's relaying information.

It's not that big of deal but if you want to say Russo's wrong then by all means just say it, don't be a coward.

Reactions: la patineuse

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

From the article:

Russo is a much better beat writer than Stephens and is very reputable.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
There's also another bit in the article, a comment from Deslauriers that IMO hints that he did ask to be traded to a playoff team:

“I’m excited, that’s for sure. I put myself in this spot this year. I knew, contract-wise, I wanted to be a playoff guy. I can’t be more pleased than being here.”

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Well, I stand corrected then about PV, as it seems it may have been Des that wanted out. It's always tough in these situations to gauge whats going on behind the scenes. As a fan, so often we have to just assume things. I still wish we could've gotten more than a 3rd for him, but whatever. Good luck to Des in the PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad