Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The statement of getting rid of OEL was far more important than actually getting rid of the player and his contributions.

Meh. These supposed "statements" are mostly fan fiction. It's not like the Canucks have been unwilling to spend money or trade futures in an effort to win. Players care about the players in the room. OEL was coming off a bad season but I doubt most of the players looked at OEL and thought "if only management bought him out."

And this wasn't some brilliant stroke by management either. They were reportedly looking to move Garland or Boeser to free up cap space. Could OEL and Myers formed a good 2nd pairing last season? I think so.

I've always maintained that buying out OEL this summer as opposed to last is better. By buying out last summer the team got $7M+ in cap space last year. This year the gain was a little less than $5M. In year 3 and year 4 the cap savings is slightly less than $2.5M. While OEL is aging, it's questionable as to whether we'll be able to upgrade over OEL in years 3 and 4 with that ~$2.5M. Right now in year 2 OEL would be the team's 2nd best LD.

Reactions: David71

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Meh. These supposed "statements" are mostly fan fiction. It's not like the Canucks have been unwilling to spend money or trade futures in an effort to win. Players care about the players in the room. OEL was coming off a bad season but I doubt most of the players looked at OEL and thought "if only management bought him out."

And this wasn't some brilliant stroke by management either. They were reportedly looking to move Garland or Boeser to free up cap space. Could OEL and Myers formed a good 2nd pairing last season? I think so.

I've always maintained that buying out OEL this summer as opposed to last is better. By buying out last summer the team got $7M+ in cap space last year. This year the gain was a little less than $5M. In year 3 and year 4 the cap savings is slightly less than $2.5M. While OEL is aging, it's questionable as to whether we'll be able to upgrade over OEL in years 3 and 4 with that ~$2.5M. Right now in year 2 OEL would be the team's 2nd best LD.
We all know the logistics of the buyout. It was about changing the culture here. The culture stunk for the better part of a decade. He was Loui Ericsson part 2. And sorry he is definitely not a better player than Carson Soucy right now and he's also 250 K more expensive and wasn't coming back for Round 3 with Tocchet. Is any of this sinking in?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moe Lemay, who played for the Canucks in the 1980s, died.

:(

One of the most definitively ‘dark ages’ Canucks joining just after the ‘82 run and being traded in the last trade before Pat Quinn arrived. And then won a Cup in Edmonton.

I’m resisting the urge to post a picture of Joel Otto.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
it looks like Podkolzin's stay in Edmonton has basically mirrored what happened in Vancouver.

Coaches like his hustle and willingness to take the body in the offensive zone. But on the points side, he's a big bagel after six games. Even as a third-fourth liner, you have to score at least once a month to stay in the lineup.

Not sure what happened to him. He looked like in his rookie season in Vancouver that he'd be at least a 10-15 goal scorer. But his offense has completely died on the vine. I wonder how long it'll take for him to end up back on waivers?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We all know the logistics of the buyout. It was about changing the culture here. The culture stunk for the better part of a decade. He was Loui Ericsson part 2. And sorry he is definitely not a better player than Carson Soucy right now and he's also 250 K more expensive and wasn't coming back for Round 3 with Tocchet. Is any of this sinking in?

I don't think trading OEL changes the culture as much as say trading Horvat. OEL was only here for two years and clearly he doesn't prevent a team from winning a Cup. I think OEL is overall a better player than Soucy but we can disagree.

I'm not sure what you mean by OEL not coming back for Round 3 with Tocchet. If we didn't buy him out he would be under contract. Are you saying he would hold out waiting for a trade? Of course if there is some genuine animosity between the two where it impacts the locker room then ya otherwise I maintain that it was a short-term move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad