OT: Football thread (2024 season)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The two Jets win this year are vs teams who are 2-11, and one of them was Will Levis doing a bunch of ridiculous stuff to lose the game for the Titans.

I’m sure they will get another hollow win vs the Pats next week, but Drake Maye is a million times better than Brissett so going to hold off on giving the Jets a win.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
It’s insane how the giants have basically been the worst pro sports team imaginable forever, and there’s still a worse team in that timespan. A team that plays in the same stadium

I believe the Giants and Jets are tied for the worst record in the NFL over like the last 8 years or something like that.

MetLife needs to be napalmed and the debris salted over.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ask Jets fans about our fluke wins.

Don't be surprised if the offer you their nut sack and personally hand you a meat cleaver and allow you which one to take.

Same goes for the Cowboys.

I loved those wins. The 07 run was probably my happiest time as a sports fan. But it's 8 games and 2 months of my life. Those teams were 10-6 and 9-7. Neither team would have won in a best of 7 format. So many people now tell me "at least you won Super Bowls". The misery I have experienced since then is in no way made up by two improbable runs by two teams that probably shouldn't have won. Yeah, it's better than what the Jets have. But that's like saying the Senators aren't as bad as the Sabres. The Giants franchise has been a disgusting tumor on my sports existence. And those Super Bowls don't matter to me one iota in 2024.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
I loved those wins. The 07 run was probably my happiest time as a sports fan. But it's 8 games and 2 months of my life. Those teams were 10-6 and 9-7. Neither team would have won in a best of 7 format. So many people now tell me "at least you won Super Bowls". The misery I have experienced since then is in no way made up by two improbable runs by two teams that probably shouldn't have won. Yeah, it's better than what the Jets have. But that's like saying the Senators aren't as bad as the Sabres. The Giants franchise has been a disgusting tumor on my sports existence. And those Super Bowls don't matter to me one iota in 2024.

Dude, take out those 2 Super Bowls and we still have more recent Super Bowls (86, 91) compared to the Jets (69).

You could have a team that is a juggernaut for years, breaks records, and not win a damn thing...and also set a record for futility: Bills.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Dude, take out those 2 Super Bowls and we still have more recent Super Bowls (86, 91) compared to the Jets (69).

You could have a team that is a juggernaut for years, breaks records, and not win a damn thing...and also set a record for futility: Bills.

As a Rangers fan who has had one championship in my lifetime when I 8 I would gladly take out contending team year in and year out the has a bad series in the ECF over the garbage of the Giants since the 2011 season. Those championships in 2024 mean nothing to me.

My friend was telling me how the Giants are more respected than the Rangers and I guarantee you that's not the case. The Giants are a laughing stock. There are grown ass adults that have jobs who were 10 years old last time the Giants were relevant. The Giants are no different from the Jets in 2024. I'm not going to be a Cowboys fan bragging about old Super Bowls. This franchise is a cancer.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
As a Rangers fan who has had one championship in my lifetime when I 8 I would gladly take out contending team year in and year out the has a bad series in the ECF over the garbage of the Giants since the 2011 season. Those championships in 2024 mean nothing to me.

My friend was telling me how the Giants are more respected than the Rangers and I guarantee you that's not the case. The Giants are a laughing stock. There are grown ass adults that have jobs who were 10 years old last time the Giants were relevant. The Giants are no different from the Jets in 2024. I'm not going to be a Cowboys fan bragging about old Super Bowls. This franchise is a cancer.

I brought up the Cowboys because you also brought them up last season, and how you would settle with having a team that is dominant in the regular season.

Problem is what do they have to show for it?

Hell, the Steelers have had more success than the Cowboys in the post-season, but their last Super Bowl was also back in 2009. That team has been stuck in purgatory: not abysmal but also nothing special to get them to the big dance.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I brought up the Cowboys because you also brought them up last season, and how you would settle with having a team that is dominant in the regular season.

Problem is what do they have to show for it?

Hell, the Steelers have had more success than the Cowboys in the post-season, but their last Super Bowl was also back in 2009. That team has been stuck in purgatory: not abysmal but also nothing special to get them to the big dance.

Steelers are rough now and the Cowboys are the Leafs with more recent success. Not a great place to be. But much better than the Giants. Actually 2012 was an underrated season for me, they missed the playoffs but had some great games and felt like a real team. At this point I'd take that. Or maybe the 2015 Giants that had a horrible defense but a fun offense. This Giants team and every Giants team since the last year MacAdoo is just torture to watch. I legit stop watching them halfway through the season they're that painful and I start rooting against them.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
no giants fan can claim misery to sexceed that of a jets fan
Nobody can, and probably never will be able to. This run NYJ are on is legendary with no end in sight. I’m honestly at the point where it’s so bad I’m just rooting to see how bad it can get. It’d be pretty cool to see a team miss the playoffs for like 20 years straight

Last edited:

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
At least yesterday was at Metlife. Nothing worse than seeing Eagles fans fill up their home stadium in December in a meaningless late season game.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I believe the Giants and Jets are tied for the worst record in the NFL over like the last 8 years or something like that.

MetLife needs to be napalmed and the debris salted over.
Can we put Shea back up....Jets did so much better there (and that's not really saying anything at all).

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Nobody can, and probably never will be able to. This run NYJ are on is legendary with no end in sight. I’m honestly at the point where it’s so bad I’m just rooting to see how bad it can get. It’d be pretty cool to see a team miss the playoffs for like 20 years straight
Imagine being a Cubs fan and not winning the WS for almost a century.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
When I read this, something occurred to me: Even the Washington Senators in MLB were worse than the Sabres -- Both the original and the expansion teams.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Imagine being a Cubs fan and not winning the WS for almost a century.
I don’t really care about titles when assessing long stretches of miserable fan experience. That’s not to say Cubs fans have never had it bad but I wouldn’t use a lack of championships to make the argument. Like NYR could not win a cup any time soon and I’d still appreciate all of the awesome players I’ve gotten to watch for the past ~15 years, important games and playoff series have routinely taken place at MSG. Plenty of big moments and memories to talk about.

The Jets have literally SNIFFED the playoffs ONCE for more than HALF OF MY LIFE LOL. Not only is their current playoff drought approaching 14 years but along the way they have consistently played the most putrid, boring dog shit brand of football imaginable. I believe they’ve finished in the top 16 offenses once (2015) in that entire timespan while routinely finishing bottom 5. I’d say the only current teams on runs that rival NYJ are Sabres and Angels.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Giants loss aside this is the second time in a month that Tae Banks had his effort questioned. That is not a great thing for a second year first round pick.

Reactions: ReddestRum

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Giants loss aside this is the second time in a month that Tae Banks had his effort questioned. That is not a great thing for a second year first round pick.

Couldn’t believe it when I saw that play. I hit rewind on the DVR to be sure he didn’t pull up lame or something because it was such a hilarious give up from Banks lol.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Couldn’t believe it when I saw that play. I hit rewind on the DVR to be sure he didn’t pull up lame or something because it was such a hilarious give up from Banks lol.

I think most people had to it rewind I'm hearing. Myself included. Beginning of the end when players start phoning it in like that, but it feels like it's been the end for awhile now.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
We weren't a "QB away" after all.
never were. At best this was an absolute prayer banking on a Hall of Famer turning the clock back and carrying a much less than ideal roster and bottom 5 coaching staff. “Hey Aaron, you’ve been relevant in the past. Come carry our sad sack team!”

Not sure exactly where along the line Joe Douglas became crowned the best compiler of talent ever. Somehow his 29-61 record as GM is purely due to bad luck and unfortunate circumstances out of his control.

Joe Douglas off-season strategy

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad