Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Drysdale could bloom eventually. Like 4-5 years form now on his third team. I just hope he stays healthy.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Drysdale and Risto are basically the same player, just different sizes. They have skill, but both are dumb as rocks. Tools, zero tool boxes. I think Drysdale got exposed sooner than Risto though. But yeah, both suck.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Smartest move is to deal him while he’s half ass healthy.

That would require the admittance of a mistake however.

Briere needs to be rightfully torched for that trade. Nobody in their right mind thinks that Jamie Drysdale + a 2nd was the best that could be found for a 5OA - coming off a strong WJC.

Even if Cutter limited the options.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Charlie was saying even before the season started internally they had no meaningful expectations again for Drysdale this year. If you go to keep writing off seasons that’s probably a tell but I don’t think they see it that way. :laugh:
That's more an admission he was horribly handled in Anaheim and it's going to take a whole season to fix him. Which is what it took to fix Risto.

They're very different players, with Drysdale, it's learning defensive fundamentals, but more important, when to take risks on offense. Risto had to learn positioning and to stop chasing hits.

Smartest move is to deal him while he’s half ass healthy.

That would require the admittance of a mistake however.

Briere needs to be rightfully torched for that trade. Nobody in their right mind thinks that Jamie Drysdale + a 2nd was the best that could be found for a 5OA - coming off a strong WJC.

Even if Cutter limited the options.
Cutter really limited the options, no different than Carolina accepting a 2nd 7 3rd for Fox, even when they knew he was going to be a top D-man after a great college season.

Flyers got a 2nd and Drysdale for Gauthier. And no one thinks he'll turn out as good as Fox.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
That's more an admission he was horribly handled in Anaheim and it's going to take a whole season to fix him. Which is what it took to fix Risto.

They're very different players, with Drysdale, it's learning defensive fundamentals, but more important, when to take risks on offense. Risto had to learn positioning and to stop chasing hits.

Cutter really limited the options, no different than Carolina accepting a 2nd 7 3rd for Fox, even when they knew he was going to be a top D-man after a great college season.

Flyers got a 2nd and Drysdale for Gauthier. And no one thinks he'll turn out as good as Fox.

The Flyers targeted Drysdale. Murray was highlighted as part of that decision.

They were broken up with, and gave the ring to the first crackhead with tits they saw at a bar.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Copy and pasted from the last 18-20 times you've brought this up:

Fox and Gauthier have nothing in common. Fox, as a 3rd rounder, was entering his senior year, had the academic card to play, and only wanted to go to one team. Gauthier was a top 5 pick, was early in his sophomore year, and was suffering a case of ELC blue balls to the point his trade list was 18-20 teams, according to Seravalli.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Cutter gave a list of 18-20 preferred teams. How is that "limited?" That's "anywhere but here," and it included Anaheim, which is evidently seen as a better organization to play for.

They sold as low as they could.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
To me, it seems like people talk about the idea of Jamie Drysdale more than what he actually does on the ice.

He doesn't even generate offense. He's not good at anything at 5v5. He has no positives. Every Defenseman rebuild they've done involved getting improved defensive play at the cost of the other end of the ice. That's not even an option here. There are no knobs to turn. His strengths still don't translate. He can't pass my personal baseline for having any hope in NHL YEAR FIVE.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Any fact to back this up? Or just giving your opinion? He did provide a list of 20 teams so not sure how that is limiting the options.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
To me, it seems like people talk about the idea of Jamie Drysdale more than what he actually does on the ice.

He doesn't even generate offense. He's not good at anything at 5v5. He has no positives. Every Defenseman rebuild they've done involved getting improved defensive play at the cost of the other end of the ice. That's not even an option here. There are no knobs to turn. His strengths still don't translate. He can't pass my personal baseline for having any hope in NHL YEAR FIVE.
I have only watched a few games this season and last while Drysdale has been in the lineup, but I honestly cannot tell you what are his positives are supposed to be. Maybe I have just missed them in my viewings.

He has bad reads in the d-zone. Fires passes at people like the puck is a grenade. He is awful at keeping the puck in the o-zone, and terrible at getting to the lanes and cycling. He's not physical at all.

Like, I know he's still young(ish), but what is the upside on his play here?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have only watched a few games this season and last while Drysdale has been in the lineup, but I honestly cannot tell you what are his positives are supposed to be. Maybe I have just missed them in my viewings.

He has bad reads in the d-zone. Fires passes at people like the puck is a grenade. He is awful at keeping the puck in the o-zone, and terrible at getting to the lanes and cycling. He's not physical at all.

The issue is he’s basically entering his physical prime as a 22-23 year old this year & you’re still starting from the ground up. There’s little to nothing in his underlying numbers to hang his hat on to this point that would really make you comfortable to projecting a higher end defensemen. Yeah he was put in an unfortunate situation with Anaheim but he’s not the first player in league history under a bad situation. Talent still usually shows in some ways even under less ideal situations which other players have shown.

If he has another season that’s been in line with his body of work to this point he’d be an extreme outlier to reach the status the Flyers hope for him. At that point you’d have to start moving to the target down to hopefully a useful mid or bottom pair defender.

Even with Ristolainen the Flyers dropped the target range from a top-mid pair two way defender to basically now a third pair defensive role. It’s not really a comparable arch to Drysdale.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Copy and pasted from the last 18-20 times you've brought this up:
They all knew the Flyers had no choice.
There are zero rumors of great deals that were turned down.

"The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly offered the Habs a trade that involved Gauthier in exchange for the fifth overall pick at the 2023 NHL Entry ..."

According to the journalist's information, the CH saw Gauthier as a 5th overall pick from a weak draft while MTL held the 5th pick of a draft they considered strong. Thus, the offer was not sufficient in Hughes' eyes.» It was also learned that the Flyers would have also drafted David Reinbacher with this 5th overall pick. [note, Briere knew Arizona would not take Michkov b/c he made it clear he would not sign with them] In short, the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens seems to have made an excellent decision, especially now that we know Gauthier did not want to play for a Canadian team.

[Flyers would have had to sweeten the deal, but the impression was the Habs simply didn't want him so Flyers would have had to overpay to make that deal]

"Scott Hartnell said a lot of the teams that were on Cutter Gauthier’s trade list, declined offers because of the way he went about the whole situation and his attitude towards the Flyers."

"Michael Russo and Joe Smith of The Athletic ($) did their end-of-season Minnesota Wild mailbag, and one reader asked them the chances that Marco Rossi gets traded. As part of their response, Russo and Smith divulged that the Wild were after Gauthier in a prospective Flyers trade before he was shipped to Anaheim."

[two points, timing mattered, b/c if it was Rossi, he had a horrible start as an undersized center, 1 point in 19g in 2022-23. Flyers were offering Gauthier that summer. However, by the Drysdale trade he had 22 points in 35g by Jan 1. So did the Flyers turn Minn down in the summer and/or Minn turn the Flyers down in January? Rossi is listed at 5'9 182]

I don't see any great deal on the table that Briere turned down.
The lack of trade rumors suggests few teams were seriously interested.
Since no one would have made a deal without confirming with Gauthier that he'd come there, he could veto any trade he had second thoughts about, which would have discouraged offers.

If he waits until the 2024 draft, Gauthier is only 2 years from being a UFA, so teams would have been more wary of trading for him. So it's doubtful his value increases by waiting.

Flyers would have received the #37 pick if they let him walk in two years, so Briere probably set that as the floor, in effect Anaheim's 2nd.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Andy Delmore

• Wow
Reactions: freakydallas13

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I do remember the Flyers story was they told teams to stay quiet to be fair to Gauthier. It was praised by the local media as a front office masterclass. Now, it means no one was interested (credibly sourced 18-20 teams!!!!) in one of the more valuable ELCs in the league? And your evidence is….? Do you think the Ducks alone couldn’t offer a different package?

Word for the wise: watching CHL games is less of a waste of time than this.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

"The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly offered the Habs a trade that involved Gauthier in exchange for the fifth overall pick at the 2023 NHL Entry ..."

According to the journalist's information, the CH saw Gauthier as a 5th overall pick from a weak draft while MTL held the 5th pick of a draft they considered strong. Thus, the offer was not sufficient in Hughes' eyes.» It was also learned that the Flyers would have also drafted David Reinbacher with this 5th overall pick. [note, Briere knew Arizona would not take Michkov b/c he made it clear he would not sign with them] In short, the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens seems to have made an excellent decision, especially now that we know Gauthier did not want to play for a Canadian team.

[Flyers would have had to sweeten the deal, but the impression was the Habs simply didn't want him so Flyers would have had to overpay to make that deal]

"Scott Hartnell said a lot of the teams that were on Cutter Gauthier’s trade list, declined offers because of the way he went about the whole situation and his attitude towards the Flyers."

"Michael Russo and Joe Smith of The Athletic ($) did their end-of-season Minnesota Wild mailbag, and one reader asked them the chances that Marco Rossi gets traded. As part of their response, Russo and Smith divulged that the Wild were after Gauthier in a prospective Flyers trade before he was shipped to Anaheim."

[two points, timing mattered, b/c if it was Rossi, he had a horrible start as an undersized center, 1 point in 19g in 2022-23. Flyers were offering Gauthier that summer. However, by the Drysdale trade he had 22 points in 35g by Jan 1. So did the Flyers turn Minn down in the summer and/or Minn turn the Flyers down in January? Rossi is listed at 5'9 182]

Since no one would have made a deal without confirming with Gauthier that he'd come there, he could veto any trade he had second thoughts about, which would have discouraged offers.

If he waits until the 2024 draft, Gauthier is only 2 years from being a UFA, so teams would have been more wary of trading for him. So it's doubtful his value increases by waiting.

Flyers would have received the #37 pick if they let him walk in two years, so Briere probably set that as the floor, in effect Anaheim's 2nd.
That’s what we’re going with here? Really?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

So that means they didn't exist. They kept the whole ordeal quiet for what 6 months. So why would they leak out any "better" deals?

No rumors for the 6 months he asked out. No one outside of the teams knew. So, BS on that 2nd bold part.

Time to wipe off your chin. Never seen such devotion in a droid.
Flyers messed up. Just say it once.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
No choice to what, find somewhere in the next TWO YEARS to trade Gauthier?
There are zero rumours of lots of things. The fact there are zero rumours has no bearing on the reality of the situation, save for the spin you try and give it.

Honestly don't have the energy to fact check the rest of your post, so we'll both have to live with just a fact check of your first 2 sentences.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No choice to what, find somewhere in the next TWO YEARS to trade Gauthier?

McGroarty, selected 14th in 2022, was traded for Yager, selected 14th in 2023, the following season. Winnipeg was taken to the cleaners in value! When a team knows a player asks for a trade, and there are almost 20 competitors vying for that player, value goes down. That’s how it works, right?

Gauthier was undeniably more valuable than Yager. Hence the Flyers starting price being 5th overall value. It’s not coincidence Drysdale was a former 6th overall. With the high 2nd rounder added, it stands to reason they valued Drysdale as more valuable than a 10-15th overall pick.

We’ve already addressed these points countless times. It’s bad faith arguing at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad