Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It is a internal warning sign for me when I have a thought that involves being sure of what a pro team is thinking. This goes back to assuming competence. I'm glad it's not the Flyers this time because I talk about it so much in relation to them when it's a much more broad issue with sports. There are multiple orgs with horrendous processes in every sport. Anaheim certainly has some of the markers.

Zegras is ~13 months older in the same organization with the same GM. They don't have a glut of Forwards. They don't have a glut of anything, frankly. The simple solution to me is that they soured to a mild to moderate degree on the players they made available. Because that's usually what it is when these guys get traded outside of clear veteran buys. But I freely admit I can never know. Nothing whatsoever is clear here.
Yeah, I certainly won’t assume competence from any GM in any sport. I just think there’s an Occam’s razor here where Verbeek simply really liked Gauthier and sees him as a potential franchise cornerstone (tried to trade up to draft him allegedly), and Drysdale was their most expendable asset of the assets that could be moved to get Gauthier. I think Zegras is just another matter entirely, and I’m doubtful that Briere had much interest in trading Gauthier for him.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah I think Verbeek is a bit of a hardo. There were rumors in the summer and fall that he wasn’t happy about Drysdale and Zegras holding out. Drysdale has been dealt and it sounds like Zegras is heading out too once he can walk again.
This and just the general state of the Ducks, plus CA taxes, etc. I do find it funny Gauthier ended up there. It’s hard to imagine it working out long term

The bonus overage was on Noah Cates’ contract. Signing Gauthier would/may have pushed that.
I think the more important part of him not signing was the signing year. There’s no way the actual cap hit of the player bonus holds that up

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
No, you're right, I wouldn't expect Briere to be 100% honest if it truly was the Flyers' negligence that turned off Gauthier.

But even on the reverse side of things, the Friedman narrative that contradicts Briere's timeline, even Friedman remains uncertain about what transpired.

If Friedman was more certain with his story then I'd fully be prepared to just conclude "Briere is lying. He's afraid to tell the whole story." But there is still too much grey area for me to be certain that Briere is lying rather than Friedman is trying to connect dots himself.
I wish we had more than just speculation, but my
35+ years as a Flyers and Philadelphia Sports Fan tells me with near certainty that the Flyers are hiding something here. You don’t announce the trade you’ve been working on for months in the middle of a game and have your three team leaders all conducting separate interviews like 20 minutes later as part of a coordinated effort to frame Cutter as the enemy unless you have a pretty strong reason you need to control the narrative.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It sounds like a definitive timeline is starting to take shape.

I will say this, if the Fletcher firing/Briere hiring/ELC contract scenario is all it took for him to bail on the Flyers, he never wanted to be here to begin with and was looking to find something to justify asking out.
I can't believe seeing this group of all stars taking over the Flyers didn't make Gauthier want to play here.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
We are never going to get the full story, you'll get a little bit from one side and a little from the other. Each side is going to try and come off as the jilted lover.

It is quite clear that some rift appeared around March of last year, it sounds like Gauthier wanted to sign and the Flyers said to hold off.

I get the impression from interviews that Gauthier might be a bit full of himself and people like that a lot of times they have little patience if they feel jilted or slighted.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
It is a internal warning sign for me when I have a thought that involves being sure of what a pro team is thinking. This goes back to assuming competence. I'm glad it's not the Flyers this time because I talk about it so much in relation to them when it's a much more broad issue with sports. There are multiple orgs with horrendous processes in every sport. Anaheim certainly has some of the markers.

Zegras is ~13 months older in the same organization with the same GM. They don't have a glut of Forwards. They don't have a glut of anything, frankly. The simple solution to me is that they soured to a mild to moderate degree on the players they made available. Because that's usually what it is when these guys get traded outside of clear veteran buys. But I freely admit I can never know. Nothing whatsoever is clear here.

I think they also liked Drysdale’s salary. Pretty sure Briere said that

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't believe seeing this group of all stars taking over the Flyers didn't make Gauthier want to play here.

There are about 10 really well run organizations in the NHL at the moment, and the Ducks aren't one of them either. This is what happens when you limit the pool you hire from to mostly ex-players or individuals with ties to ex-players.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I wish we had more than just speculation, but my
35+ years as a Flyers and Philadelphia Sports Fan tells me with near certainty that the Flyers are hiding something here. You don’t announce the trade you’ve been working on for months in the middle of a game and have your three team leaders all conducting separate interviews like 20 minutes later as part of a coordinated effort to frame Cutter as the enemy unless you have a pretty strong reason you need to control the narrative.
they didnt frame him. i hear what your saying but how can they frame him when he didnt give a reason, on top of staying silent when he did talk. Its simple to me. it was al about money for cutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad