Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
So what are the chances Gauthier was part of the “massive multi player trade” with St. Louis that fell apart because of Krug last summer?

Jordan Kyrou was in the rumors for a couple days, which would make a lot more sense now in the context of Gauthier being a component. They also had the 10th overall pick (Dalibor Dvorsky), which Briere would have been interested in.
thats probably where the scott laughton for a 1st and 2nd rumor came from, seravalli was the only one who ran it maybe he heard about philly shopping a center from the world championship and assumed it was laughton

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I haven’t listened but did they say when it was his idea? Before or after the conclusion of his freshman season and before or after the conclusion of the Flyers’ season?

If it’s after either of those it doesn’t really refute the ELC thing.

The Zoom call took place after the conclusion of both his Freshman season and the World Championships. So presumably end of May or into early June of 2023. They thought the call was requested to tell the Flyers he was ready to turn Pro and they had a contract ready.

This contradicts reports that they were not willing to sign him prior to the 23-24 season due to their salary cap and his potential bonus overages. More shoddy reporting by Friedman. No surprise.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Zoom call took place after the conclusion of both his Freshman season and the World Championships. So presumably end of May or into early June of 2023. They thought the call was requested to tell the Flyers he was ready to turn Pro and they had a contract ready.

This contradicts reports that they were not willing to sign him prior to the 23-24 season due to their salary cap and his potential bonus overages. More shoddy reporting by Friedman. No surprise.
That doesn't contradict that at all though if i'm reading it correctly.

Gauthier's freshman season ended on March 11th. The story that Friedman suggested is that he wanted to sign right then but he was told that they couldn't because of potential cap overages. He wanted to sign with the Flyers near the end of the 22-23 season in that narrative.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
thats probably where the scott laughton for a 1st and 2nd rumor came from, seravalli was the only one who ran it maybe he heard about philly shopping a center from the world championship and assumed it was laughton

The rumors were that the deal was massive, with several players on both sides. If I squint, I could see Gauthier + Sanheim + Laughton + Hayes for Kyrou + 10th overall + Krug as vaguely fitting the description.

Gauthier = 10th overall
Sanheim + Laughton = Kyrou + Krug (Krug having negative value)
Hayes for nothing

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton for a 1st and 2nd straight up never made a lick of sense, you might have gotten a late 1st for Laughton (though teams have become more stingy with 1st rd pick), but St Louis was cap strapped and needed a scoring center, which is why they took Hayes for basically nothing but the same cap hit Laughton would require.

Krug by the way is having a solid season,
21:44 minutes, CF 48.26%, CFrel +3.70, xGF 48.76%, xGFrel +5.59, 1.17 pp/60
The raw numbers are pulled down playing on a bad 5x5 team, but the "rel" numbers suggests that on the Flyers he'd have similar metrics to Sanheim.

So they weren't crazy wanting Krug to fill Sanheim's hole in the short run while they developed young D-men.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No, it doesn't contradict it at all.

Gauthier was ready turn pro right when the dysfunctional Flyers fired their GM after a disastrous trade deadline. The inexperienced, interim GM evidently felt it would be better not to burn a year of Gauthier's ELC, but he obviously didn't understand that Gauthier's camp would react so negatively to being told he would have to wait till the 23-24 season.

Last edited:

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
No, it doesn't contradict it at all.

Gauthier was ready turn pro right when the dysfunctional Flyers fired their GM after a disastrous trade deadline. The inexperienced, interim GM evidently felt it would be better not to burn a year of Gauthier's ELC, but he obviously didn't understand that Gauthier's camp would react so negatively to being told he would have to wait till the 23-24 season.

Briere's interview absolutely contradicts this though. But who knows which nuggets are sincere and which are posturing.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Before Fletcher was fired, Sommerman tweeted that the Flyers wanted to sign Gauthier to his ELC when his college season ended.

They Fletcher was fired and Briere didn't sign him.

Gauthier announced he would return to BC on 3/24/2023, when the Flyers still had 11 games left.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts pod didn’t mention anything about bonus overages today, but cited that Briere did not want to bring Cutter into a fractured room with all the chaos going on at the end of the season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It makes sense why Briere didn't want to sign him then. It also makes sense that Gauthier's camp felt they had been more or less promised he would get burn his first ELC year, and so after that opportunity was taken away they no longer trusted Flyers management and decided he would never play for Philly.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Danny said two other teams made serious offers they considered.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’d be most curious to wonder if Fletcher had believed the same thing.

Friedman thinks Briere asked for Bowen Byram, which sounds like would’ve been 1-for-1 because the Avalanche wanted more.

Also wondered about LA but got pushback.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That doesn't contradict that at all though if i'm reading it correctly.

Gauthier's freshman season ended on March 11th. The story that Friedman suggested is that he wanted to sign right then but he was told that they couldn't because of potential cap overages. He wanted to sign with the Flyers near the end of the 22-23 season in that narrative.

Ohhh ok I get it now. He wanted to sign BEFORE the end of the 2022-2023 season so he could burn that year off the ELC, according to Friedman?

1705072691412.png

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004

Friedman thinks Briere asked for Bowen Byram, which sounds like would’ve been 1-for-1 because the Avalanche wanted more.

Wasn't there rumors they wanted Byram in the proposed Giroux trade?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It sounds like a definitive timeline is starting to take shape.

I will say this, if the Fletcher firing/Briere hiring/ELC contract scenario is all it took for him to bail on the Flyers, he never wanted to be here to begin with and was looking to find something to justify asking out.

Either way, i've never been super high on his game and Hockey is more fun with villains.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Can you expand on the LA part a bit more?

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020

I’d be more nervous about Byram than Drysdale, especially after Lindros and Patrick. The organization doesn’t seem to have luck with concussions

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Can you expand on the LA part a bit more?

No, that’s all that was said.
Have to imagine Briere asked about Brandt Clarke and got turned down.

Like I said originally, trading Gauthier right now only makes sense in a very, very limited number of trades. So few, that we can probably guess all the players Briere identified as suitable targets, and then further guess which of those teams might have been interested to continue the conversation.

It makes sense that Byram would have been a name that was discussed, but I’m glad we didn’t get further down that road. I’m a lot more optimistic on Drysdale than Byram.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
The frequency of usage in my experiences has been limited but current players such as Makar and in the recent past Neidermeyer have had that tag. Others as well. There is an attachment to the origin of the sport which includes members of the Hall who have had that label applied as a position.
The original rover….Paul Coffey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad