Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Round Picks For Tony DeAngelo And a 7th (Signs 2x$5M Ext)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
In:
Gostisbehere - $4.5M (1 year remaining)
Hagg - $0 (UFA)

Out:
Ristolainen -$5.1M (5 years remaining)
DeAngelo - $5M (2 years remaining)

Net for year is +$5.6M on the salary cap & the following in +$10.1M. :laugh:
Check that math. That’s not a net result because you have to consider they’d have to pay Hagg or someone else this year then Ghost or someone else next year. It’s more like $3-4M if you assume a replacement level for what would have been Hagg’s role.

On the ice without consideration for cost of acquisition or cap hit, I think RR+TDA is a better pair than SG+RH. The problem is that they’re not a better value, and when you factor in the assets that were expended to make it happen, you get sick to your stomach. It’s always about the drunk-sailor asset expenditure when thinking about how CF has been reworking the D in the last two years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Check that math. That’s not a net result because you have to consider they’d have to pay Hagg or someone else this year then Ghost or someone else next year. It’s more like $3-4M if you assume a replacement level for what would have been Hagg’s role.

On the ice without consideration for cost of acquisition or cap hit, I think RR+TDA is a better pair than SG+RH. The problem is that they’re not a better value, and when you factor in the assets that were expended to make it happen, you get sick to your stomach. It’s always about the drunk-sailor asset expenditure when thinking about how CF has been reworking the D in the last two years.

It was just purely what went in & what went out between those trades.

But you also have the contract flexibility to walk away from a bad player in Hagg. You don’t have that with Ristolainen.

But yes you’d probably lose a million or so filling out Hagg’s spot which I rather be in position for now considered the future outlook of this team. $4M would also go a long way right now for a team that is desperate for capspace. The Flyers put themselves in contradiction. They need capspace but they keep managing their assets & cap so badly they don’t have it.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
purely a team trying to stay relevant in the league. They think this quick retool will allow them to do that and folks will flock to the arena. Short-sighted to say the least..they are dinosaurs with dinosaur mentality when the better option would to have gone full rebuild and have an actual long-term plan

My only hope here is they have some sort of franchise-altering event. They need that Lindros-type player to come along that they actually get and can build around instead of well..this. Bedard could be it..but they are most likely not going to suck enough to be in the conversation for him

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
sorry for jumping ahead of myself, i haven't read the entire thread yet, but did fletcher trade all those picks for tda before free agency? i thought he was an upcoming ufa?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think it’s interesting they’re bringing a known hot head who wears out welcomes pretty quickly in DeAngelo to a team that’s probably not going to be that good these next two years.

Even if the Flyers hit their ceiling to me that’s a bubble team but even that gets hard with guys like Coututier & Hayes coming back from injuries & Ellis & Farabee likely to miss time going into the season.

On the ice he’s going from Carolina which was one of the better teams in the league last year. He was paired up with one of the best defensive defensemen in the league in Slavin. So they knew & had the resources to leverage DeAngelo’s strengths while minimizing his weaknesses to get the most out of him. He’s going to a noticeable downgrade on those ends with the Flyers organization, team, & likely Provorov.

Seems like that just builds a potential powder keg situation where the Flyers could potentially be sitting here this time next year hoping to eject from DeAngelo.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So basically in the last year...they traded the 15th overall pick last year, the 37th overall pick this year, a 2nd and 3rd round pick next year in a very deep draft, a 4th rounder in 2024, and added an extra 5 million to their cap all to turn Ghost and Hagg into Risto and DeAngelo, who arent really an upgrade.

Thats a lot to change lefties into righties.

14th overall which was really 13th overall because Arizona forfeited their pick.

What's the over/under on wins this coming season? 15?

Hopefully less - I want records shattered

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fletcher is on the clock, so he don't give a shit about that.

It’s just annoying that sans Hextall who went off script from the norm within the Flyers front office in terms of operating. The Flyers have basically allowed their GM’s to completely run the team into the ground by the end of their tenures creating a mess for years to come that need to be cleaned up. The cherry on top is they still keep these people within their front office structure still having some influence after that.

This why this organization never grows & learns from their mistakes. Fletcher’s almost to China now with the hole he dug just like Homer was at the end of his tenure.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Just compare what we have been done, and what the Canes did with ADA.

Canes signed a talented player with baggage for 1 year at 1 million. Got great production.

Then trades him for 3 picks instead of paying him.

What a great use of 1 million in cap space and 1 year commitment.
most said in 50 or so words ever pertaining to one topic. everyone that goes easy on fletcher should read this, then go back and look at all the moves fletcher has made, then re assess their opinion of him as a nhl gm.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
It’s just annoying that sans Hextall who went off script from the norm within the Flyers front office in terms of operating. The Flyers have basically allowed their GM’s to completely run the team into the ground by the end of their tenures creating a mess for years to come that need to be cleaned up. The cherry on top is they still keep these people within their front office structure still having some influence after that.

This why this organization never grows & learns from their mistakes. Fletcher’s almost to China now with the hole he dug just like Homer was at the end of his tenure.
China needs to pump some Russian gas into that hole and light it up.......

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Great excuse. "We signed one who is either arrogant enough or dumb enough to go public with it and cant even hide it"
He came back right after to say it "wasn't a defense."

So why did you bother saying it?

Reactions: kudymen

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Example #5458592392q11100xxxx30230412ffex%3d221 of the Philadelphia Flyers having absolutely nothing resembling a coherent plan. Like I said the other day, when the DeAngelo rumor surfaced, Fletcher's team is all over the map with what they say they value, or what they show they value, or what they say and show they value while missing on the value. This is satire at this point. It's been covered, so I don't need to read the ledger, fresh with red ink, about the mind numbing Ghost-Risto-DeAngelo trade chain.

I'll leave the off-ice shit aside, because it's no less applicable to Carolina, and I'll just say that this trade perfectly encapsulates the divide between a well run organization and a dumpster fire. The Flyers could've signed DeAngelo to pennies last offseason; instead, they signed arguably the worst performing defenseman in the NHL to a similar role at a similar cost. Carolina, with all the player-team leverage, extracts every bit of scoring out of him, to bridge themselves past Hamilton, then sells high to the incompetent team that trips over itself to buy high on two different axes. The same team that finished 13th worst and 4th worst in back to back years -- without any elite talents that can insulate and utilize DeAngelo -- that is slotted to make 3 picks in the top 2 rounds in a 3 year period. The same team that bitches endlessly about poor defense. And culture. And cap space.

I desperately want to will into being that Sanheim leaves in free agency and signs with Carolina. I'll never be more certain that life is not random.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad