Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Noah Cates to ELC (March 27, 2022)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they could ditch the plugs, like Thompson and Brown and MacEwen, a 4th line with Laczynski and Cates could be really interesting. But Hockey Law states you need plugs.
The last 20 games, MacEwen is out playing both NAK and almost all the forwards drafted by Hextall after the 2nd round.
Which isn't saying he's good, but that the bar is really low.
Which means Cates has a good chance of being an improvement.

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
If they could ditch the plugs, like Thompson and Brown and MacEwen, a 4th line with Laczynski and Cates could be really interesting. But Hockey Law states you need plugs.
1648475071189.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh boy, another “200 ft” bottom 6 forward. The Cup is ours.
"Why are they playing all those scrubs in the bottom six?"

Oh, boy, another bottom six prospect.

The problem isn't a 5th rounder as a bottom six prospect, it's that all the 3rd to 5th rounders (and some 1st and 2nd rd picks like Rubtsov, Laberge) other than Lindblom failed to become decent bottom six players.

Hopefully, Ratcliffe, N Cates, Laczynski will break that trend, and Hodgson and WIllman can continue to improve.

I mean after watching VdV, Leier, Luby, Thompson, NAK, Vorobyev, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Mayhew, Varone, Knight, Lehtera, Weise, Flyer fans would appreciate decent bottom six forwards!
We could use some young versions of PEB, Raffl and Pitlick.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We could use some young versions of PEB, Raffl and Pitlick.
Sure could. Hextall's drafts weren't just a failure by missing on too many early-round picks (Rubtsov, Patrick, JOB, Frost, Ratcliffe, Laberge, NAK, Ginning), they've also been a failure in lacking to produce sufficient depth players.

Hopefully, Cates, Laczynski, and Allison can help mitigate that next season.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I still feel like (as much as Fletcher is a t-a-i-n-t), we will see more of his picks have a bigger impact than the Hextall bottom 6 "potential" group.

Allison has upside but is Mr. Glass

Brink(but hope to god he can put forth more top6 eventually)/Foerster/Wisdom/Tuomaala/Destroyer

I like this group much more than the Hextall on the fence guys.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Kid is proving to be a player. Plausible top 6 potential even, dependent upon how much this period reflects his future play of course. But at worst I think middle 6. Kid needs to put on muscle surely. But otherwise, looks like a steal thus far. And perhaps most importantly, an overall positive player.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Kid is proving to be a player. Plausible top 6 potential even, dependent upon how much this period reflects his future play of course. But at worst I think middle 6. Kid needs to put on muscle surely. But otherwise, looks like a steal thus far. And perhaps most importantly, an overall positive player.

See what I mean......

By far his best game yet. Just awesome.

If Frost likes playing with Cates, it could turn into a top 6 relationship for both. And damn they looked good playing together. And Cates looked great on the PP.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
See what I mean......

By far his best game yet. Just awesome.

If Frost likes playing with Cates, it could turn into a top 6 relationship for both. And damn they looked good playing together. And Cates looked great on the PP.
As I said in the post game thread, only watched highlights of tonight’s game, but I have liked what I’ve seen from him. I’m not sure if he’s a legit top 6 guy, I think it will be more based on his linemates. I don’t know if he has enough skill for top 6 but he could be the perfect complementary linemates to two skill guys. Something like Cates-Frost-TK or Brink might work nicely together in the future.

I guess I just want to see more of him at the NHL level before appointing him top 6 minutes (which I don’t think you are).

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Russ Cohen has been clamoring for Cates to be tried at center. Thoughts?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I didn't watch him much this year but he played a lot of center last year at UMD and it wasn't his best season. I'm sure he could do it in a pinch like Raffl before him, but I'm not seeing the appeal really. He's probably more valuable as a chess piece winger that you can move up and down the lineup.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
As I said in the post game thread, only watched highlights of tonight’s game, but I have liked what I’ve seen from him. I’m not sure if he’s a legit top 6 guy, I think it will be more based on his linemates. I don’t know if he has enough skill for top 6 but he could be the perfect complementary linemates to two skill guys. Something like Cates-Frost-TK or Brink might work nicely together in the future.

I guess I just want to see more of him at the NHL level before appointing him top 6 minutes (which I don’t think you are).
Did we really think we will see a line with young players? With this ORG?

Cates seems to be a solid piece. But dont rush to a top 6 conclusion...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad