Confirmed with Link: Flyers Re-Sign Nick Seeler To Two Year Deal ($775K) (One-Way/Two-Way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're better off just getting an upgrade at the position
Gjo back to last July and look at all the FA contracts, to land anything better than a 4th line scrub, you have to be either really lucky (pick the one in five who rebounds or has a career year on a one year deal, then watch him walk) or gamble on 2-3 year contracts, half of which don't work out (Bonino 2yr/$4M for example). So you need good pro scouts and the cap room to eat a bad contract or two.

Next year we're finally going to have players at LHV we can actually expect to be able to call up and produce more than Bunnaman, Vorobyev, Twarynski et al. These guys weren't "blocked." They just sucked.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gjo back to last July and look at all the FA contracts, to land anything better than a 4th line scrub, you have to be either really lucky (pick the one in five who rebounds or has a career year on a one year deal, then watch him walk) or gamble on 2-3 year contracts, half of which don't work out (Bonino 2yr/$4M for example). So you need good pro scouts and the cap room to eat a bad contract or two.

Next year we're finally going to have players at LHV we can actually expect to be able to call up and produce more than Bunnaman, Vorobyev, Twarynski et al. These guys weren't "blocked." They just sucked.

Seeler is a 2 year contract.

Teams win in these margins all the time. Well managed teams. Unfortunately, the Flyers are really badly and lazily managed, so they'll keep this AHLer on the roster without even trying to explore anything else.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seeler is a 2 year contract.

Teams win in these margins all the time. Well managed teams. Unfortunately, the Flyers are really badly and lazily managed, so they'll keep this AHLer on the roster without even trying to explore anything else.
What you don't want, is a 1 in 5 chance of a guy rebounding then you lose him. Or possibly having an asset to move at the deadline.

Better off signing a guy best no one wants. It's safer that way. And to extra safe, give him a 2nd year. Safety for everyone.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Also, another gm might consider they could potentially acquire someone better to fill the roll as a throw in a trade or find a better option in FA and then still be able to go back to Seeler in August when he isn't signed.

So many fans brush off these moves as it doesn't matter, but all these suboptimal moves add to to a crappy franchise

^^^ thisss....^^^^

He isn't going to be the 7th D. I don't know why you think he will be. He's going to be their 5/6. Ellis will miss a lot of time, maybe the season. They're gonna go out of their way to minimize usage of youth. Seeler is going to play a lot. He isn't gonna watch from the box.

No, I contended that your "Sign two guys and let them try it out" was an incredible waste of cap space. I've explained that several times now. You're choosing to misunderstand so you can be outraged at me questioning Fletcher's judgement.

Because his judgement has proven oh-so-good. I mean yeah, why should we bother trying to upgrade a heavily flawed area of the roster? Standing pat on D: Good management!

Truly I must be insane.

he is 100% a roster player.... the only 7th D and below will be the youth who YET again get held back a season AGAIN..

#sameasiteverwas

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Reminder:

27 year old Seeler was so good, he played ZERO games for Chicago. They played 12 different Dmen that season instead of playing Seeler.

Then, after seeing Seeler play no NHL games, the Flyers signed 28 year old Seeler and played 43 for us. And now re-signed for 2 more years.

Just another in the list of people who are not good enough to play in the NHL one year, only to play for us the following(Prosser, Stewart, Andreoff, etc...).

And I am sure he will join the other shit list of players who play for us, then never to play in the NHL again(Prosser, Stewart, AMac, etc...)

100% accuracy ^^^

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
In a vacuum, the Seeler re-signing is fine. It wouldn't bother me.

But this isn't a vacuum.

Combined with Fletcher
- grossly overpaying and overcommitting to Risto,​
- trading for and re-signing Thompson,​
- literally giving away Ghost PLUS picks,​
- acquiring and likely re-signing MacEwen,​
- acquiring and giving Yandle a guarantee that he would break the record thus handcuffing his own​
organization's lineup decisions,​
- and on and on...​
doesn't leave me with any confidence that this man is capable of judging talent and making astute moves.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In a vacuum, the Seeler re-signing is fine. It wouldn't bother me.

But this isn't a vacuum.

Combined with Fletcher
- grossly overpaying and overcommitting to Risto,​
- trading for and re-signing Thompson,​
- literally giving away Ghost PLUS picks,​
- acquiring and likely re-signing MacEwen,​
- acquiring and giving Yandle a guarantee that he would break the record thus handcuffing his own​
organization's lineup decisions,​
- and on and on...​
doesn't leave me with any confidence that this man is capable of judging talent and making astute moves.

Why not? He's bad at hockey. Shouldn't we want players that are good at hockey?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Why not? He's bad at hockey. Shouldn't we want players that are good at hockey?

If Fletcher hadn't shown a penchant for mediocrity, Seeler would just be a guy that plays occasionally and in emergency situations (on the road or last minute), maybe ~15-20 games a year. When there's time to make a call-up and give a young guy a few games, you do that instead.

But combined with the other shenanigans I posted above, and the fact that he was drafted by Fletcher and is from Minnesota, well, it just screams doin' a solid for a try-hard, and that his role will be bigger than it should be.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Fletcher hadn't shown a penchant for mediocrity, Seeler would just be a guy that plays occasionally and in emergency situations (on the road or last minute), maybe ~15-20 games a year. When there's time to make a call-up and give a young guy a few games, you do that instead.

But combined with the other shenanigans I posted above, and the fact that he was drafted by Fletcher and is from Minnesota, well, it just screams doin' a solid for a try-hard, and that his role will be bigger than it should be.

That guy could be someone that's good at hockey though. Hell even mediocre is fine.

Reactions: BillDineen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now, Ellis, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto, York, Attard, Zamula, Seeler, Wylie, Millman, Menell.

Zamula is clearly better than Seeler, but he's also going to be 22, if they bring him up, they'd like to keep him up, not yo-yo him. It'll be between him and Attard for the #6 spot, unless Ellis can't play or Provorov is traded.
The issue with Zamula is strength, not "beat 'em up" strength, he'll never have that, but maintain weight and stamina throughout an 82 game season (players often lose 10 lbs over the course of a season, and Zamula doesn't have 10 lbs to lose!)

Sanheim faded toward the end of the season, probably b/c he played more minutes than ever before (1391, 1204, 1838). He's gotten stronger, but if I were running his offseason training program, I'd focus on maintaining strength throughout a season.
A NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Right now, Ellis, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto, York, Attard, Zamula, Seeler, Wylie, Millman, Menell.

Zamula is clearly better than Seeler, but he's also going to be 22, if they bring him up, they'd like to keep him up, not yo-yo him. It'll be between him and Attard for the #6 spot, unless Ellis can't play or Provorov is traded.
The issue with Zamula is strength, not "beat 'em up" strength, he'll never have that, but maintain weight and stamina throughout an 82 game season (players often lose 10 lbs over the course of a season, and Zamula doesn't have 10 lbs to lose!)

Sanheim faded toward the end of the season, probably b/c he played more minutes than ever before (1391, 1204, 1838). He's gotten stronger, but if I were running his offseason training program, I'd focus on maintaining strength throughout a season.
A NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint.

They do not have Attard ahead of Seeler.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
think we've seen the last of #9.....somebodys' contact has to go to sign Sanheim long term.

his exit interview didn't help him..... just hope he fulfills his potential elsewhere

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So who is this dman who is good at hockey you would have signed at 2 x $775K?

For starters, subtract that extra year because it's not necessary and in fact, pointless.

Here is the UFA dmen class.

There's plenty of names on there that will probably end up signing for near league-min deals that are more capable defensemen than Seeler

• Love

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Therein lies the issue. A true #7 doesn't necessarily slot in if any of 1-6 are injured. Rather he place sets, watches from the booth, and slots into the occasional game. The guys with moderate to high potential in LHV are the true sequential roster members.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Therein lies the issue. A true #7 doesn't necessarily slot in if any of 1-6 are injured. Rather he place sets, watches from the booth, and slots into the occasional game. The guys with moderate to high potential in LHV are the true sequential roster members.

Right - Seeler should be the "extra road body" for emergency situations only so that young dmen ahead of him can play in the AHL until needed instead of watching games from the press box and missing out on important development opportunities.

Unfortunately - what will happen is that if someone goes down injured, Seeler will just slide right in regardless and play big chunks of games throughout the season INSTEAD OF a Zamula, Hogberg, etc.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah. The Flyers do not utilize their #7 slot correctly given their situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hogberg 17:03, Attard 16:35, Zamula 15:58, Connauton 14:35, Seeler 11:38, Yandle 11:21 after the TDL.

For starters, subtract that extra year because it's not necessary and in fact, pointless.

Here is the UFA dmen class.

There's plenty of names on there that will probably end up signing for near league-min deals that are more capable defensemen than Seeler

If they're good enough to start as a #6 or better, why would they come here when a PO team will want them to fill out a roster?
And if they're no better than a #7, what's the difference?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
So who is this dman who is good at hockey you would have signed at 2 x $775K?
The second year should be a non starter. They should constantly look to make incremental improvements in the margins. Resigning someone who played poorly for two years is foolish because it commits to a lack of improving that role in the organization for another year.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The second year should be a non starter. They should constantly look to make incremental improvements in the margins. Resigning someone who played poorly for two years is foolish because it commits to a lack of improving that role in the organization for another year.
100%

THERE IS ZERO NONE NADA ZILCH ZIPPO REASON TO GIVE NICK SEELER A 2ND YEAR.

This team need to play the kids and see what Flyers have, not Seeler.

Instead when Ellis get hurt and Flyers end up playing Z or Attard with Seeler, there are bound to be nitwits on here wondering with is wrong with Z or Attard instead of asking how much of a moron Fletch is getting stuck with Nate a second year. Can we just ban all Nates on the flyers?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That is what elc's are for. If there is an injury call someone up and give them a longer look. Your number 7 shouldn't be a plug that blocks player development. Seeler is that.

They already have seven dmen on ELCs for 22-23: Attard, York, Zech, Wylie, Millman, Zamula and Ginning. Plus Hogberg who will probably be qualified and will be waiver exempt.

No team has an entire AHL defense comprised on players only on ELCs.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The second year is a two way contract, basically they guaranted one year at a NHL salary with the understanding he'd probably spend the second year in the AHL at a reduced salary.

Seeler is a decent #7. If you have to play him, it usually means you lack depth.
Last year they weren't comfortable rushing York (20) and Zamula (21), who both lost significant development time due to COVID's impact on the previous two seasons.
This year York will start with the team, Zamula may, and Hogberg is a lot more NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad