Confirmed with Link: Flyers Re-Sign Nick Seeler To Two Year Deal ($775K) (One-Way/Two-Way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How does Seeler getting a one-way contract in 22-23 matter to anyone but him? It doesn't count any extra against the cap, and spending an extra $375,000 is nothing to Comcast in the unlikely event he spends the entire season in the AHL.
Because EVERYTHING matters. It's wasteful business. Seeler would have likely accepted the deal if it was a full two-way deal but Chuck always has to get his man!

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Does it matter that Seeler had the 3rd best GA/60 on the defense despite playing 60% of his 5on5 minutes with Yandle? Only 2.67 GA/60 allowed.

If we're going to trash Thompson for allowing 4 GA/60 at 5on5, then it seems only fair we recognize that Seeler's goals against numbers were not bad for a #7 playing mostly with the league's worst defenseman.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What an incredible waste of cap space.
LOL. This allegedly “incredible waste of cap space” is a league-minimum salary that can go to the minors with zero cap hit.

Your hyperbolic description illustrates exactly why your freak-out over signing Seeler is nothing but theater emanating from a seething hatred of management.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
LOL. This allegedly “incredible waste of cap space” is a league-minimum salary that can go to the minors with zero cap hit.

Your hyperbolic description illustrates exactly why your freak-out over signing Seeler is nothing but theater emanating from a seething hatred of management.
It's not the league-minimum salary. It's $25k more for the 22/23 season and the minimum salary in 23/24.

That matters even if you say it doesn't.

Reactions: BillDineen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Are you hard of reading? You proposed signing two guys at this salary. That's what I was talking about. You gotchaed yourself.

Remember when you described me as "freaking out" and "insane" last off-season? Remember how I ended up being entirely correct and you were entirely wrong? Yeah. I'm the rational one here. You're the one who loses it whenever people rightly criticize poor, lazy management and start slinging around and hominens and creating bizarre scenarios to defend the bad management.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Does it matter that Seeler had the 3rd best GA/60 on the defense despite playing 60% of his 5on5 minutes with Yandle? Only 2.67 GA/60 allowed.

If we're going to trash Thompson for allowing 4 GA/60 at 5on5, then it seems only fair we recognize that Seeler's goals against numbers were not bad for a #7 playing mostly with the league's worst defenseman.

4th worst xGA/60 ahead of Yandle, Connauton, Risto. Worst xGF%. 3rd worst HDCA/60 behind Yandle and Connauton. He sucks, Yandle sucks. Thompson sucks.

What do they have in common? Brought in by Chuck, played significant minutes, and nothing matters.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Did I propose keeping both on the roster, Mr. Gotcha?

You are aware that salary cap limitations exist in the offseason, right? If you're going to burn 1.5 mil in limited space you might as well do it for something useful instead of a tryout to be Most Useless D Vet.

That you think this is good asset management explains why you think Fletcher is beyond reproach, though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You are aware that salary cap limitations exist in the offseason, right? If you're going to burn 1.5 mil in limited space you might as well do it for something useful instead of a tryout to be Most Useless D Vet.

That you think this is good asset management explains why you think Fletcher is beyond reproach, though.
Did I propose keeping both on the roster?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Did I propose keeping both on the roster?

What are you not understanding here? The cap burned in the offseason for the foolish tryout between bad players still limits what you can do. You're better off just getting an upgrade at the position, especially since the Flyers treat it as the first backup instead of a stand-in until a call-up arrives; it's someone who will play a lot, likely from the start of the season. They'd be better off getting a clearly better player at that price instead of burning limited space to settle on someone worse in the end.

You are proposing pointless inefficiency as a bizarre, strange defense of bad management. They need to find ways to upgrade the defense. Rolling with the same guys without bothering to find upgrades is stupid.

Of course, the problem with the obviously more cap efficient route is that Fletcher isn't capable of winning in the margins like that. He can't find a better player, even if he wanted to.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What are you not understanding here? The cap burned in the offseason for the foolish tryout between bad players still limits what you can do. You're better off just getting an upgrade at the position, especially since the Flyers treat it as the first backup instead of a stand-in until a call-up arrives; it's someone who will play a lot, likely from the start of the season. They'd be better off getting a clearly better player at that price instead of burning limited space to settle on someone worse in the end.

You are proposing pointless inefficiency as a bizarre, strange defense of bad management. They need to find ways to upgrade the defense. Rolling with the same guys without bothering to find upgrades is stupid.

Of course, the problem with the obviously more cap efficient route is that Fletcher isn't capable of winning in the margins like that. He can't find a better player, even if he wanted to.
So you contend to be worried about the cap, but would rather spend $1.5M on a #7 defenseman than $775k.

You’re really firing on all logical cylinders.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The catch-22 with signing a vet 7th D is the teams always go to that player first when they have injuries instead of the better option they have in the AHL. There will be multiple better options on the waiver wire before the regular season starts, but the Flyers committed to Nick Seeler in May after one of the worst regular seasons in the history of the franchise - one that he was a part of.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So you contend to be worried about the cap, but would rather spend $1.5M on a #7 defenseman than $775k.

You’re really firing on all logical cylinders.

We don't know that Ellis will even play. We know he will miss a lot of time. We also know they won't lean on the kids. They're going to have veterans. The supposed "7" is going to play a lot, just like he did last year. So, instead of burning 1.5 million in offseason space to decide what lesser option to settle on, you might as well use it the whole way to get a clearly better option.

This isn't as hard to understand as you're pretending it is. I have no idea why you'd propose that.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Also, another gm might consider they could potentially acquire someone better to fill the roll as a throw in a trade or find a better option in FA and then still be able to go back to Seeler in August when he isn't signed.

So many fans brush off these moves as it doesn't matter, but all these suboptimal moves add to to a crappy franchise

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
We don't know that Ellis will even play. We know he will miss a lot of time. We also know they won't lean on the kids. They're going to have veterans. The supposed "7" is going to play a lot, just like he did last year. So, instead of burning 1.5 million in offseason space to decide what lesser option to settle on, you might as well use it the whole way to get a clearly better option.

This isn't as hard to understand as you're pretending it is. I have no idea why you'd propose that.
I disagree that they should spend $1.5M on their 7th D. You are the one suggesting that.

I prefer spending league minimum.

Seeler is league minimum. And his signing doesn’t *preclude* them from signing another league minimum #7 if one is available whom they prefer (& who will take league minimum).

Seeler can go to the AHL with 0 cap hit.

This is indeed very easy. You contended that the Seeler signing alone was “an incredible waste of cap space,” which couldn’t be more inaccurate, & then suggested spending double on a 7th D who WOULD have a cap hit even if they sent him to the AHL.

Can’t make this stuff up, folks.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Honestly the only issue a person could take with the signing is the 50 player contract limit. From my count (please correct me if wrong) after the Flyers sign their RFAs they intend to keep they will have used 41 of their 50 contracts.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I disagree that they should spend $1.5M on their 7th D. You are the one suggesting that.

I prefer spending league minimum.

Seeler is league minimum. And his signing doesn’t *preclude* them from signing another league minimum #7 if one is available whom they prefer (& who will take league minimum).

Seeler can go to the AHL with 0 cap hit.

This is indeed very easy. You contended that the Seeler signing alone was “an incredible waste of cap space,” which couldn’t be more inaccurate, & then suggested spending double on a 7th D who WOULD have a cap hit even if they sent him to the AHL.

Can’t make this stuff up, folks.

He isn't going to be the 7th D. I don't know why you think he will be. He's going to be their 5/6. Ellis will miss a lot of time, maybe the season. They're gonna go out of their way to minimize usage of youth. Seeler is going to play a lot. He isn't gonna watch from the box.

No, I contended that your "Sign two guys and let them try it out" was an incredible waste of cap space. I've explained that several times now. You're choosing to misunderstand so you can be outraged at me questioning Fletcher's judgement.

Because his judgement has proven oh-so-good. I mean yeah, why should we bother trying to upgrade a heavily flawed area of the roster? Standing pat on D: Good management!

Truly I must be insane.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Honestly the only issue a person could take with the signing is the 50 player contract limit. From my count (please correct me if wrong) after the Flyers sign their RFAs they intend to keep they will have used 41 of their 50 contracts.

That's not the only issue. The fact that he sucks and they signed him in May before looking at other options is on the top of the list of issues.

Seeler was injured and had covid last season, his games played would have been even higher if not for those.

Forgot about this.

Brutal

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
For fun, here is a list of some of the outstanding defensemen to play for the flyers in the past 10 years

Kevin Connauton
Nick Seeler
Keith Yandle
Nate Prosser
Robert Hagg
Christian Folin
Andrew MacDonald
Jonny Oduya
Mark Alt
Brandon Manning
Nick Grossmann
Erik Gustafsson
Jay Rosehill
Kurtis Foster
Oliver Lauridsen
Bruno Gervais
Andreas Lilja
Pavel Kubina
Marc Andre Bourdon
I always loved Nick Grossmann and Kubina and Lilja played pretty well too. Bourdon was showing flashes of being player until a concussion ended his career. Mark Alt probably should have stuck with football.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reminder:

27 year old Seeler was so good, he played ZERO games for Chicago. They played 12 different Dmen that season instead of playing Seeler.

Then, after seeing Seeler play no NHL games, the Flyers signed 28 year old Seeler and played 43 for us. And now re-signed for 2 more years.

Just another in the list of people who are not good enough to play in the NHL one year, only to play for us the following(Prosser, Stewart, Andreoff, etc...).

And I am sure he will join the other shit list of players who play for us, then never to play in the NHL again(Prosser, Stewart, AMac, etc...)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're better off just getting an upgrade at the position
Uh, what do you think a veteran upgrade would cost?
More than the minimum and at least a two year term.
You're not getting quality veterans signing here for close to the minimum when they can be depth on a Cup contender.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, what do you think a veteran upgrade would cost?
More than the minimum and at least a two year term.
You're not getting quality veterans signing here for close to the minimum when they can be depth on a Cup contender.

Yeah, definitely best to not even try. Definitely best to keep the shit band together for two years anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad