Confirmed with Link: Flyers Re-Sign Nick Seeler To Two Year Deal ($775K) (One-Way/Two-Way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s not just Fletcher. Look at all the bottom barrel scraping defenseman and forwards this organization is enamored with. This is not just a recent occurrence.
This is why people have been saying the good ol boys club needs to be purged. Bring in outside voices with fresh ideas. But thats never going to happen. So here we are.
That's what happens when you can't draft or find these guys on the waiver wire.
Look at the long list of middle round draft picks the last decade who couldn't even fill out the 4th line or 3rd pair.
And the pro scouts have fared no better, Weise, anyone?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
LOL. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this depth D signing for $775k.

Take a look around the league. Every team needs a cheap 7th defenseman. You aren’t doing better for a $775k 7th D than Seeler. But maybe some people would rather have prospects take the 7th D role instead of getting consistent playing time.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Take a look around the league. Every team needs a cheap 7th defenseman. You aren’t doing better for a $775k 7th D than Seeler. But maybe some people would rather have prospects take the 7th D role instead of getting consistent playing time.
There's plenty wrong with this depth signing. You would figure as the only board member capable of critical thinking or understanding nuance that you would see that.

The signing was done fifty-five days prior to Free Agency opening. There was absolutely no reason to get this deal done at this time. No one was or will be knocking the door down to sign Nick Seeler. The Flyers have now limited their potential options in doing this so early on for a player that would have been there in August.

That is without getting into the contract details themselves. If only the organization could have realized that they could have had a lower cap hit if they were able to think in any meaningful way but instead they went the lazy route and paid him what the minimum is next season. That's the type of stuff that good and winning teams do. They think about the margins because they matter. This team? Nah.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

1) the don't see him as depth. They see him as a mainstay. He played 43 games.

2) the defense was dog shit all year. He was a big part of that. Attempting to upgrade on defense would be good, would it not? Why commit to more of the same?

3) depth is important. Bad depth is bad. Everything matters.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There's plenty wrong with this depth signing. You would figure as the only board member capable of critical thinking or understanding nuance that you would see that.

The signing was done fifty-five days prior to Free Agency opening. There was absolutely no reason to get this deal done at this time. No one was or will be knocking the door down to sign Nick Seeler. The Flyers have now limited their potential options in doing this so early on for a player that would have been there in August.

That is without getting into the contract details themselves. If only the organization could have realized that they could have had a lower cap hit if they were able to think in any meaningful way but instead they went the lazy route and paid him what the minimum is next season. That's the type of stuff that good and winning teams do. They think about the margins because they matter. This team? Nah.
BS. They looked at their UFA 7th D options & decided Seeler at $775k was their best value — that they’d prefer him at 775k than anyone else they “might” get at 775k. Bird in hand & all that.

Why wait & get stuck with someone worse for 775k?

This is just fans complaining for the sake of complaining.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
BS. They looked at their UFA 7th D options & decided Seeler at $775k was their best value — that they’d prefer him at 775k than anyone else they “might” get at 775k. Bird in hand & all that.

Just because that's what they did doesn't make it the right decision.

Every single time something like this happens it's just "fans complaining for the sake of complaining" and yet each time it blows up in their face. Look at where the god damn team is.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Is there a single move you haven't defended?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just because that's what they did doesn't make it the right decision.

Every single time something like this happens it's just "fans complaining for the sake of complaining" and yet each time it blows up in their face. Look at where the god damn team is.

It's not complaining for its own sake when we are always right about it.

That's known as "valid justified criticism"

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

lol ok this is a copy pasta from last year right ?

Yandle wont even play... hes just a depth signing..

hahaaa....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Name me a better UFA 7th D they could guarantee to get at $775k.

Check out anyone in the AHL.

He's not going to be a 7th dman. He will play. A lot. We have seen this. They always prefer trash vets to youth development. He's more like a 5/6.

You yourself have admitted the defense last year was horrible. Is it good management to give up on upgrading a part of that group long before FA even starts?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Check out anyone in the AHL.

He's not going to be a 7th dman. He will play. A lot. We have seen this. They always prefer trash vets to youth development. He's more like a 5/6.

You yourself have admitted the defense last year was horrible. Is it good management to give up on upgrading a part of that group long before FA even starts?
Give me names. Who is unrestricted this summer who is better than Seeler & the Flyers could guarantee signing as a #7 for $775k?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Give me names. Who is unrestricted this summer who is better than Seeler & the Flyers could guarantee signing as a #7 for $775k?
Litrilly no one would have been knocking down Nick Seeler's door to sign him come free agency. They could have been guaranteed to sign Nick Seeler at that contract in August.

Who gives a shit if no other player is "guaranteed" to sign as a #7 for that money. You're playing a game of "gotcha" here because we can't name a player that is "guaranteed" to sign in order to white knight for an organization and man that has shown no reason to be worthy of your time and energy defending them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I just told you where to look. Seeler is nothing special. There's no reason to put out zero attempt to change up a horrible group.

Do you think last year's defensive group was good? Considering the way this team uses supposed #7s, don't you think spending a little more for someone better would be wise?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Litrilly no one would have been knocking down Nick Seeler's door to sign him come free agency. They could have been guaranteed to sign Nick Seeler at that contract in August.

Who gives a shit if no other player is "guaranteed" to sign as a #7 for that money. You're playing a game of "gotcha" here because we can't name a player that is "guaranteed" to sign in order to white knight for an organization and man that has shown no reason to be worthy of your time and energy defending them.

ask him to quarentee how many games Seeler will play, since hes only signed as a 7th right..

inB4 cricketsssss...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You don’t know that at all.

Why wait until August to sign a guy who is willing to accept a league minimum contract?

Hoping to find someone marginally better for a league minimum contract?

Take the bird in hand.

If he makes the team, you’ve got a league minimum cap hit. If he doesn’t, you send him to the AHL & he doesn’t count against the cap.

It’s a ridiculous thing to be upset about. It doesn’t preclude the team from signing another player to the same contract & letting them duke it out for the 7th role.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Why wait until August to sign a guy who is willing to accept a league minimum contract?

Take the bird in hand.

If he makes the team, you’ve got a league minimum cap hit. If he doesn’t, you send him to the AHL & he doesn’t count against the cap.

It’s a ridiculous thing to be upset about. It doesn’t preclude the team from signing another player to the same contract & letting them duke it out for the 7th role.

What an incredible waste of cap space. It's better to just sign a decent 1.5 mil dman and win in the margins, than it is to let two AHL players slug it out to see who will play too much while blocking better prospects.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Similarly, it's not worth your time or energy arguing with these clowns :thumbu:

Reactions: freakydallas13

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Take the bird in hand.

There's absolutely no reason to have this discussion with you.

I know it because the only reason he's in this organization is because Chuck Fletcher drafted him. He didn't play a single game in 20/21 with the Blackhawks in the NHL or AHL and then played a whopping 12 games with the Wild/Blackhawks in 19/20. Now all of the sudden other teams are going to be knocking down the door to sign the guy? Give me a break.

Why wait? Because it's better to leave options open. Now you closed a door on potential changes.

It's not league minimum, FYI. Chuck was too lazy to look into that.

Yeah, take the bird in the hand that resulted in shit defense rather than trying to improve on it. That's a Chuck Fletcher staple, do the laziest thing possible.

Giving the man a one-way contract was a mistake also. You're catering to a scrub of a hockey player by allowing him to be paid a full NHL salary when there was no reason to. These things MATTER.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How does Seeler getting a one-way contract in 22-23 matter to anyone but him? It doesn't count any extra against the cap, and spending an extra $375,000 is nothing to Comcast in the unlikely event he spends the entire season in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad