Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did the Flyers not screw Johansen? Were they not the ones that said he'd never play for them despite the reported fact that Johansen wanted to work with Torts?
So what? He got paid, it was the end of the season, and they let him refuse to go to the AHL without raising a fuss. If Johansen had a gripe, it should be with Colorado who dumped him and cost him a shot at the playoffs.

But this summer he screwed the team, if someone stole millions from you and messed up your business plans, wouldn't you be a tad bit irritated? He could have accepted a buyout and both parties would move on.

Reactions: renberg

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So what? He got paid, it was the end of the season, and they let him refuse to go to the AHL without raising a fuss. If Johansen had a gripe, it should be with Colorado who dumped him and cost him a shot at the playoffs.

But this summer he screwed the team, if someone stole millions from you and messed up your business plans, wouldn't you be a tad bit irritated? He could have accepted a buyout and both parties would move on.
Without raising a fuss? Come on now.

They raised a fuss by attempting to send him to the minors in the first place. They didn't need that cap space (your words) so why do it? Because they're egotistical and vengeful. It's engrained in the organization.

If they were so concerned about buying him out they tell him go sit at home and do absolutely nothing but they decided they were sending him to the AHL.

The Flyers are well within their right to pursue this case if the injury is fake but their actions put themselves in this situation. That absolutely cannot be overlooked. It's a common thread that weaves through many of the stories we've seen with the team lately.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Really?

Say that again if it’s your money. A dude comes in and fakes an injury (to their belief) to avoid playing in the minors and is stealing $8M and they should just be ok with it?

I wonder what world some of you live in.
In the same world where a drunken coach refuse to work with the whole team or know his own prospects for years get fired and his money anyway. In the same world where a coach can bully one of the best offensive prospect of the franchise without the Franchise doing anything against it.

should i continue?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Every couple weeks this org proves to be the most mismanaged franchise is pro sports, and there are people immediately jumping to "Johansen is faking it!" as Occam's Razor here?

The Flyers were the ones that audaciously told the media a player they acquired wasn't going to play in the NHL despite that player playing each game in the NHL for their previous team

The Flyers were the ones that misread the market so poorly that they believed they'd be able to find a trade partner to flip this player

The Flyers were the ones who got themselves into this situation, like always. I'm not going to pretend I know all the details here. I'm not going to speculate anything about injuries or lying or whatever. I'm not going to Ctrl v 3 pages of the CBA. The facts that we know are simple: the Flyers are incompetent. This is a situation they simply shouldn't be in, regardless of what the whole truth is

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Perhaps not, but I don't really see what's so humiliating about "we know you and Tortorella don't get along, let's get through the next 15-20 games, we'll buy you out, and you can go wherever you like at that point." Dozens of veterans go through that every year, many of them better players and better people than Johansen. When he decided he wasn't going to play ball, the Flyers, being who they are, decided they weren't either. (I don't doubt that their repeated clashes with Kurt Overhardt didn't help on this front; neither side was likely particularly interested in being charitable to the other given prior dealings.)

Now, of course, Johansen has a reason to dig his heels in, because instead of being paid $5.34M to go away and find another contract in a place he'd actually like to be, he's put every penny of his money at risk. It seems a poor business decision to me, especially since, if the Flyers win the case, Johansen likely will find it a hell of a lot harder to find another NHL job, having defrauded his current employer. Had he just taken a buyout, none of that would be hanging over his head.

They didn't do that though. They publicly said he was never going to play. They could have just sat him in the press box and they did not.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Without knowing the entirety of what happened, it does seem like the Flyers were never going to let RJ play on their NHL team. Why not is anyone's guess, but I can't help but think that Tort's ego played a role in that decision. The team was weak at center and the player said he was willing to play, why not at least try it?

But Briere comes out and says he's never going to play for the Flyers? Something doesn't add up in these stories.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Yeah, pissed at myself for getting into bed with the guy. That's what leadership is. Self-evaluations need to be brutally honest and you can only worry about what you can control.

You have no idea if the man is hurt or not and it is incredibly irresponsible to keep insisting you do.

Disclaimer: I don't believe either side. I don't like either side.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Without raising a fuss? Come on now.

They raised a fuss by attempting to send him to the minors in the first place. They didn't need that cap space (your words) so why do it? Because they're egotistical and vengeful. It's engrained in the organization.

If they were so concerned about buying him out they tell him go sit at home and do absolutely nothing but they decided they were sending him to the AHL.

The Flyers are well within their right to pursue this case if the injury is fake but their actions put themselves in this situation. That absolutely cannot be overlooked. It's a common thread that weaves through many of the stories we've seen with the team lately.

They put themselves in this situation, and it is hard for me to see how they win this. It's very hard to prove an injury is exaggerated. They've acknowledged it exists!

Even if Johansen is lying, he has the much easier fight.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
So he found a doctor willing to commit malpractice and fraud to steal a few mil from a team? Why will this doctor be ending his career?

Why are we also pretending like we haven't seen examples of guys playing through significant injuries for a long time? It isn't far fetched. Richards and Simmonds leap to mind. It's a thing hockey culture glorifies. Someone willing to play through injury for the NHL may not be willing to play through the same thing for the minor leagues.

Now, the timing of when he's getting surgery makes it look like he's trying to string it out as long as he can and I think we all know why; he doesn't want the AHL and he doesn't want Tortorella. But without more serious proof he's faking it, the "it's all faked" theory is a lot more convoluted at present than the "The Flyers have blown it yet again" theory.
Not to give the flyers any credit but my pos recently deceased father found several in Elkton Maryland who gave him notes and false diagnosis to go out of work, or go on disability, and to further feed his addiction, so if a person like my dad could do it, I don't imagine it'd be hard for ryjo to lol however I think the whole situation is going to blow up in the flyers face regardless of the outcome, I think the agent will make sure his clients stay away from the organization and players around the league will take notice, and the flyers will essentially be black balled and forced to stay in hockey purgatory until the team is completely gutted of the old boys club and the new age country club

But just to be clear I think both sides are at fault 100% and this does show further incompetence on the flyers and the new error excuse me, era of orange

Last edited:

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Did the Flyers not screw Johansen? Were they not the ones that said he'd never play for them despite the reported fact that Johansen wanted to work with Torts?

The Flyers had a hole at center at that point in the year. Tortorella could have swallowed his pride but he's incapable of doing that because he's a manchild.

The organization brought this upon themselves due to their hubris.

Is it really "screwing" Johansen to decide he's not worthy of being on a NHL roster? He has been reduced to a cap dump twice in a 12 month span. That's very sweet of him that he wants an NHL spot, but it's not screwing him to decide he's not worth it anymore.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Is it really "screwing" Johansen to decide he's not worthy of being on a NHL roster? He has been reduced to a cap dump twice in a 12 month span. That's very sweet of him that he wants an NHL spot, but it's not screwing him to decide he's not worth it anymore.

The Flyers could very well be in the right here.

It’s just… in this really worth it? So desperate for a bit of cap space - a rebuilding team with no shot in hell at a decent playoff run?

To willingly put themselves in a position where other players might even further question Philadelphia as a destination… it’s just stupid imo.

This was such a foolish battle to choose to fight.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
It's an asshole move regardless of whether it screwed RJ or not. It would have taken nothing to try him at center for a few games before deciding to send him down.

At the very least, if Jonesy and Briere really are trying to rebuild the Flyers into an attractive destination for free agents and players, then this kind of "we don't give a shit about you" attitude on display from the RJ saga is a giant red flag for other players to avoid this team like the plague.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The attention paid to his dance moves is absolutely laughable; so many situations where certain (serious) pain only appears/bothers you at certain movement (for example, sharp start/stop) or very high speeds (or perhaps contact).
Yeah, like when that certain movement inlvolves playing hockey in Allentown instead of in Colorado. ;)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would love for an outside President of hockey ops to magically be hired so he can respond to all the arrogant "We are the Flyers!" pride from the cronyarchy with "exactly, you are the Flyers." Hit these clowns with reality of what they are and where they are. Then fire all of them and hire a team of college interns to drunk dial them 24/7.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Were the Flyers classless for determining Cal Petersen wasn't good enough to play in the NHL?

For sending Andrew MacDonald to the AHL?

The Flyers don't owe Ryan Johansen jack. Dude is lucky to have an $8M contract.

He's been a pain in the rear everywhere he goes.

He played 63 games for COL before being traded to the Flyers, including playing 2 days before the trade.

Suddenly he wants to pout and claim an insurmountable injury once he learns of the trade & that he's being sent to the AHL.

Blocks them from buying him out in June, which was no doubt the Flyers' plan all along.

And now it's a month before camp, nearly 6 months after the trade, and he still hasn't had surgery for this supposedly severe hip injury?

But he's carrying around his wife and dancing it up at his wedding a few days ago?

Johansen has breached his contract, and the Flyers are right for terminating it in response.

Reactions: swami24 and renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Were the Flyers classless for determining Cal Petersen wasn't good enough to play in the NHL?

For sending Andrew MacDonald to the AHL?

The Flyers don't owe Ryan Johansen jack. Dude is lucky to have an $8M contract.

He's been a pain in the rear everywhere he goes.

He played 63 games for COL before being traded to the Flyers, including playing 2 days before the trade.

Suddenly he wants to pout and claim an insurmountable injury once he learns of the trade & that he's being sent to the AHL.

Blocks them from buying him out in June, which was no doubt the Flyers' plan all along.

And now it's a month before camp, nearly 6 months after the trade, and he still hasn't had surgery for this supposedly severe hip injury?

But he's carrying around his wife and dancing it up at his wedding a few days ago?

Johansen has breached his contract, and the Flyers are right for terminating it in response.

Did the Flyers publicly state that Petersen and AMac would never play in the NHL?

They aren't comparable situations.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
A PoHO that has never worked in an NHL front office in any capacity whstsoever.

An inexperienced GM whose minuscule hands on experience came under the stewardship of a grossly incompetent GM

A overbearing, narcissistic and petty tyrant of a head coach who holds grudges and plays favorites.

What could possibly go wrong?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I would love for an outside President of hockey ops to magically be hired so he can respond to all the arrogant "We are the Flyers!" pride from the cronyarchy with "exactly, you are the Flyers." Hit these clowns with reality of what they are and where they are. Then fire all of them and hire a team of college interns to drunk dial them 24/7.
I'd do it for free

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad