Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I have as much faith in the Flyers front office as I do in a daycare run by Casey Anthony.

I truly hope this blows up in their face. They are already a joke when it comes to hockey ops so they might as well continue to work diligently at burning bridges with agents and players.

Now we just need Torts to healthy scratch Michkov a few times followed by putting him on L4 with Laughton and the punching bag.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was somewhat skeptical the Flyers would pass on Buium because of Overhardt.......but I'm coming around to that being a contributing factor. On top of them being idiots at the draft.

It's possible Johansen is exaggerating (I don't know, but it's an almost implausibly dangerous gambit), but they traded for a player who despises the head coach and then planned to send him to the AHL. It's an "I don't know what you expected" moment if I've ever seen one. Cap dumps are not squeaky clean transactions. They could've voiced the buyout option and tried to resolve this more hush-hush. What happened to patting themselves on the back about their cone of silence and professionalism?

But I am a fan of discovering tendencies. Here's what we have learned. The Briere-Jones management team loves to acquire cap dumps, at sub-market value, with zero rehab potential. They're willing to double down on them to cause further organizational issues. They are unbelievably petty, taking and handling things on a personal level that affects other decisions.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Johanssen now has a severe injury that requires surgery? A year later? Huh?

They wanted to trade him with 50% retained but had no takers.
They wanted to send him to the AHL to bury $1.25M, he came up with an "Injury" after playing every game for the Avs.
Now he needs surgery almost a year later.

His games cost them the opportunity to buy him out this summer.

Good riddance. Try scamming your employer and see if you get terminated.
Almost a year later?

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
I have as much faith in the Flyers front office as I do in a daycare run by Casey Anthony.

I truly hope this blows up in their face. They are already a joke when it comes to hockey ops so they might as well continue to work diligently at burning bridges with agents and players.

Now we just need Torts to healthy scratch Michkov a few times followed by putting him on L4 with Laughton and the punching bag.
Daycare run by Casey Anthony and playing hide and seek with Sarah Boone!

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Almost a year later?
When did this so-called injury occur?
Couldn't be with the Flyers unless it was off-ice b/c he never got on the ice.
If off-ice, when did it happen and how (i.e. activities prohibited by the CBA?).
If it was with the Avs, he managed to play through it until he was traded and didn't tell the Avs.

And the Flyers tried to get rid of him, were willing to retain 50% - i.e. at $2M there were no takers.

Compare to Ellis, who did everything he could to get back on the ice, or Couts or Hayes.

PS: It's hard to be picky about salary dumps, there's a limited amount of teams with veterans on overpriced but short-term deals that they can include in trades.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think my biggest gripe about all this is......what's the upside? They get out of paying a few bucks they planned to pay anyway -- that's the definition of a cap dump -- for him to sit in the AHL? And another point: had they really really wanted Buium (or to patch things for Farabee), this Johansen business could've been an olive branch after Gauthier. That's a measured approach and long-term play. A team that dished out $15MM to acquire a pair of 30th overall picks should understand the concept of paying to get something. But no, the Flyers are proudly emotionally, philosophically, and commercially immature.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think my biggest gripe about all this is......what's the upside? They get out of paying a few bucks they planned to pay anyway -- that's the definition of a cap dump -- for him to sit in the AHL? And another point: had they really really wanted Buium (or to patch things for Farabee), this Johansen business could've been an olive branch after Gauthier. That's a savvy long-term play. A team that dished out $15MM to acquire a pair of 30th overall picks should understand the concept of paying to get something.
It's not about money, Comcast doesn't have cash flow issues.
It's about cap room. If he was "healthy," they could have bought him out this summer.
Now they would have to use LTIR to start the season if he's "injured."

They were patient with Johanssen, he must have done something to send them over the edge.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am blown away at the hubris it requires to make this comparison. How the hell would any of us have the necessary info to even set off down that road?
Ellis had multiple operations and tried to come back.
He's just physically a mess.
There has never been a hint of any attempt just to collect a paycheck and not try to rehab.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think he ever went on IR. He just stayed on the active roster.
Yeah, there's no roster limit after the trade deadline, the only thing to do was to put him on LTIR, and they didn't want to do that.

What they couldn't do is buy him out if he was injured. The only thing they could do is try to make a trade with someone.

Given Overhart's statement, it seems that this is based on the fact that the Flyers feel he has not gotten the surgery in a timely fashion, given that they never thought he needed it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Terminated on his honeymoon. This has Kevin Hayse's TORTS' fingerprints all over it. RyJo is like one of those insurance claimants that forgot to wear their neck brace to the gym :laugh:
No. This has lawyer fingerprints all over it.

The kind of move that you don't make before clearing it with legal b/c you know the agent is going to appeal.

Torts doesn't care, Johanssen was never going to play for the NHL club in any case.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Johanssen now has a severe injury that requires surgery? A year later? Huh?

They wanted to trade him with 50% retained but had no takers.
They wanted to send him to the AHL to bury $1.25M, he came up with an "Injury" after playing every game for the Avs.
Now he needs surgery almost a year later.

His games cost them the opportunity to buy him out this summer.

Good riddance. Try scamming your employer and see if you get terminated.
So after seeing the statement by the agent you think he is trying to scam the Flyers?

What happens if they lose this contract termination case? Did the CO-GM not do his due diligence and acquire a hurt player? The Avs laughing their ass off.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

The kind of move that you don't make before clearing it with legal b/c you know the agent is going to appeal.

Torts doesn't care, Johanssen was never going to play for the NHL club in any case.
ND > RYJO

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
From a union standpoint (I was a former union steward with the Power Worker's Union in Ontario), I'm intrigued by how the NHLPA is going to defend Johansen. If the NHL and the Flyers can prove that Johansen was negligent in his treatment for whatever ails him, they'll nail him to the wall. And you can bet that the union will crucify him. If it's also determined that his agent played a role in Ryan's negligence, it's very possible that Overhardt could be decertified as an NHLPA agent.

If the Flyers are found to have acted against the Collective Bargaining Agreement in terminating Johansen's contract, they'll be a pariah franchise in the NHL. Forget about agents having their clients go there whether it be by trade, free agency or draft. Forget about any team wanting to deal with the Flyers.

This is something that could really blow back on either the NHLPA or the Flyers. There's a lot at stake here. The Flyers really need to have their collective ducks lined up on this one because you can bet the NHLPA labour law lawyers are going to be ruthless and thorough on this.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

20231214_231320.gif

Twas but a jest my man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad