Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It will be tough on 2016 3rd round pick Twarynski when a guy the Flyers passed on in two drafts gets an ELC before him.

And Bunnaman already got his ELC and was drafted after. If they were in a situation where they would/could sign their ELCs, all of Hogberg, Laczynski, and Bernhardt likely would have signed theirs too.

I'm sure Dove-McFalls can provide him support.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given you have about 22-24 contracts you have to reserve for the NHL team, plus a few for two way contracts for the AHL team, it's hard to fit 35 or so prospects under the 50 contract limit.

Which places increased importance on a couple strategies:
1) allocating a larger proportion of draft to college and European players to extend the time you have for evaluation before offering ELCs
2) trading marginal players for draft picks to not only free up room for prospects, but also to provide additional contracts for younger prospects

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
sorry for the questions as of late..been working a lot..Ivan..was he an undrafted invite or something?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
giphy.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So now there are:

33 Fwds
17 Dmen
7 Goalies

Left in camp.

Will be interesting to see the team composition for Sunday. Guess they will probably play most of the guys they will likely send back next (Twarynski, Laberge, Bunnaman, Kosorenkov (after signing) Salinitri & Hart).

Also interesting how every single one of the 17 Dmen will be in NHL, AHL or ECHL this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Given you have about 22-24 contracts you have to reserve for the NHL team, plus a few for two way contracts for the AHL team, it's hard to fit 35 or so prospects under the 50 contract limit.

Which places increased importance on a couple strategies:
1) allocating a larger proportion of draft to college and European players to extend the time you have for evaluation before offering ELCs
2) trading marginal players for draft picks to not only free up room for prospects, but also to provide additional contracts for younger prospects

Right now I count them as having 21 players on ELCs. Five expire after 17-18:

Goulbourne
Hagg
Martel
Morin
Willcox

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Twarynski still doesn't do a whole lot for me. He's a big guy who moves well but that seems to be where it ends with him to me.

Atleast he does that well. He seemed to at least be able to combine that size and speed effectively and his checking did stand out. He was one of the few guys that exceeded expectations for me, although I went into the game with almost none to begin with from him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Also interesting how every single one of the 17 Dmen will be in NHL, AHL or ECHL this season.

So we should expect them to draft multiple defensemen this summer?

They only have Kalynuk and the two Swedes in the "deep" pipeline, and probably Myers, Friedman and Wilcox (all RHD) in the AHL.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

They only have Kalynuk and the two Swedes in the "deep" pipeline, and probably Myers, Friedman and Wilcox (all RHD) in the AHL.

I imagine they will given the pipeline.

Even though have an abundance of D talent aged 24-20 come January only Dman in organisation under age 20 will be Högberg.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no roster size limit in camp is there? At least not in the early going, right? Kind of shocked they sent those guys back down so soon, numbers game or not. Especially with Hextall, you'd think they'd want them to get a taste of real pro camp/drills/competition, ect. I'm sure those guys were looking forward to the chance as well. That said, I understand they all have things (like bulking up ect.) to do so it's maybe not a huge deal, just a bit surprising. Also, I agree there should be a return to focus on drafting more Dmen in the upcoming draft. That's how they are going to keep the pipeline stocked. Obviously more often then not go with best player available but I like how Hextall sees the need and addresses it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

For sure.

We built up the D and Goalies and then have focused on the forwards the last few years. Last 2 years:
14 Forwards
3 Dmen
2 Goalies

With the pipelines now more balanced, the next draft should be more balanced as well. With the 2 1st rounders(most likely), I would expect 1 F then 1 Dman as our picks. And if we use all 10 picks, something like 6F, 3D, 1G.

The next wave of drafted Dmen are going to be important to either use in trades, or to replace this 1st wave of guys so we can keep cheap talent coming. PLus if there is an expansion, safety in numbers...we are likely going to lose a good player or have to "buy" them off.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no roster size limit in camp is there? At least not in the early going, right? Kind of shocked they sent those guys back down so soon, numbers game or not. Especially with Hextall, you'd think they'd want them to get a taste of real pro camp/drills/competition, ect. I'm sure those guys were looking forward to the chance as well. That said, I understand they all have things (like bulking up ect.) to do so it's maybe not a huge deal, just a bit surprising. Also, I agree there should be a return to focus on drafting more Dmen in the upcoming draft. That's how they are going to keep the pipeline stocked. Obviously more often then not go with best player available but I like how Hextall sees the need and addresses it.

There's no cap number in preseason. Hextall generally sends his junior players with no shot to make the team down quickly though. The older junior players like Hart, Bunnaman, Salinitri, Twarynski, etc. will probably be cut after that split squad game. As their junior seasons are about to start up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There's no cap number in preseason. Hextall generally sends his junior players with no shot to make the team down quickly though. The older junior players like Hart, Bunnaman, Salinitri, Twarynski, etc. will probably be cut after that split squad game. As their junior seasons are about to start up.

And that's the way it should be. Let them get back to Jr and get playing with their team. And that's the beauty with depth, you don't get tempted to keep guys that you shouldn't due to need.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How many times has a first round pick not even made it to main camp? I doubt very few times, if at all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And that's the way it should be. Let them get back to Jr and get playing with their team. And that's the beauty with depth, you don't get tempted to keep guys that you shouldn't due to need.

Yep. Especially since they expect most of these kids to spend a year in the AHL, there's no reason to waste time in camp with the younger kids, there will be 2-3 more years to work with them. Plus, why put an 18 year kid out there in exhibition games against 22-23 year olds trying to make a team who might be wiliing to play a little dirty.

They got a little taste, next season they'll get an extended taste, their third season they'll last as long as their talent dictates.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How many times has a first round pick not even made it to main camp? I doubt very few times, if at all.

It was a bit surprising they didn't at least keep Frost (and Ratcliffe probably) for just a few more days and 1 game, let him absorb some stuff from the veterans, then send him back. It's not like he looked in over his head at the prospects game. Just practicing for several days with the pros has a lot of value.

Correct me if I'm wrong but last year they kept all their just drafted kids for 1 preseason game (a split squad) -- from Laberge to Salinitri -- then sent them all down together. I don't remember them doing these cuts before main camp. Guess they want to really evaluate the players already here in every possible minute who are actual pro candidates, and there are quite a lot, but yeah they could've kept the two just signed to ELCs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are you saying you are bothered that Frost didn't make it to camp?

Not really. It's just odd.

I think Hextall tries his best to make it seem like they view everyone the same. If he kept Frost and sent Ratcliffe, Strome, and Sushko back to junior, those guys would probably think they got a raw deal. Two years ago he sent Provorov, Konecny, and Sanheim back to junior on the same day.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not really. It's just odd.

I think Hextall tries his best to make it seem like they view everyone the same. If he kept Frost and sent Ratcliffe, Strome, and Sushko back to junior, those guys would probably think they got a raw deal. Two years ago he sent Provorov, Konecny, and Sanheim back to junior on the same day.

Well I think if he kept Frost, then Ratcliffe would have been kept too just due to being so close in draft position. After that, we are talking about 4th rounders so there is a difference.

But we have no idea what we're told to these kids before hand. They were likely told this beforehand and it was not linked to last nights game.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is a logjam of veteran forwards in camp too so im not surprised the 17 draftees were sent back already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad