Florida Panthers completely changing jersey (logo leaked post 661)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They're kinda like cougars.

issue_panther%20protection.jpg

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Yes, look at each cities flag. You'll see the resemblance.

That's a stretch. Montreal's flag is white and red with blue purple and green emblems. It came about in 1939 - decades after the Habs. Calgary's flag is red and white. The Flames moved from Atlanta and brought their red white and gold brand with them.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That's a stretch. Montreal's flag is white and red with blue purple and green emblems. It came about in 1939 - decades after the Habs. Calgary's flag is red and white. The Flames moved from Atlanta and brought their red white and gold brand with them.

The habs colours have more to do with the province of Quebec's flag...the term Canadiens or Habitants refers to the 'farmers of Quebec' so the nickname and the team name is closely tied to the province itself. That's where the blue and white originates from, I think the red is a bit random...maybe to represent Canada? I doubt it, Quebec has a history of separatism.

This won't be an an exciting history lesson but that's the gist of it, you can look it up if you're interested.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Quebec flag is blue and white and has more in common with the old Nordiques colors than than Habs. There's no red in the Quebec flag at all though.

I think it's more telling that Habs fans use the exact same language to describe their colors as the French do to describe their flag.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Panthers are a fully black cat.

Generally speaking, "Panther" is a colloquialism for a myriad of wild big cats and not one specific species...i.e. the animal that the Pittsburgh Panthers refer to can be called a panther, cougar, mountain lion, or puma depending on where you are (generally speaking they're referred to as mountain lions in western Pennsylvania, but Pitt Mountain Lions doesn't exactly flow as well). The black panther, like the Carolina Panthers refer to, are somewhat ironically (given when they entered the NFL) actually jaguars with melanism.

At least that's my understanding of it, I may be way off. The confusion comes with the names all referring to different animals that wound up actually being the same (or mistaken identities).

The Florida panther, on the other hand, is a specific, highly endangered creature native to the area, making the Florida Panthers moniker actually very clever and appropriate for what seems like nothing more than generic 90s sports marketing.
PantherPoster.jpg

On an unrelated, but still interesting note...the Pitt Panthers and Penn State Nittany Lions are both named after the same animal.

Last edited:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The habs colours have more to do with the province of Quebec's flag...the term Canadiens or Habitants refers to the 'farmers of Quebec' so the nickname and the team name is closely tied to the province itself. That's where the blue and white originates from, I think the red is a bit random...maybe to represent Canada? I doubt it, Quebec has a history of separatism.

This won't be an an exciting history lesson but that's the gist of it, you can look it up if you're interested.

:laugh: What? Canadiens is just French for Canadians. It has nothing to do with farmers or Quebec. The Canadian flag at the time was red, white and blue. Montreal, especially around the time the Canadiens were founded, was very English (especially the wealthier population, who would own a team, go to games, etc.). Montreal was never the hotbed of separatism.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
:laugh: What? Canadiens is just French for Canadians. It has nothing to do with farmers or Quebec. The Canadian flag at the time was red, white and blue. Montreal, especially around the time the Canadiens were founded, was very English (especially the wealthier population, who would own a team, go to games, etc.). Montreal was never the hotbed of separatism.

I know canadiens is French for Canadians, I'll edit this post with sources when I get home. Or you can just Wikipedia the habs and search farmers

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Most cities don't really care about the flag though. In Calgary many (not sure if I would say most), are simply aware of the flag.

Cities with specific sports colours seem to come from early adopters, and just stick that way.

The Stampeders were founded in 1935, and as far as I know always worn red. The Roughnecks also wear red.

The Allouettes have blue, red, and white as their colours, and were founded in 1946. The expos blue, red, and white, 1969.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Generally speaking, "Panther" is a colloquialism for a myriad of wild big cats and not one specific species...i.e. the animal that the Pittsburgh Panthers refer to can be called a panther, cougar, mountain lion, or puma depending on where you are (generally speaking they're referred to as mountain lions in western Pennsylvania, but Pitt Mountain Lions doesn't exactly flow as well). The black panther, like the Carolina Panthers refer to, are somewhat ironically (given when they entered the NFL) actually jaguars with melanism.

At least that's my understanding of it, I may be way off. The confusion comes with the names all referring to different animals that wound up actually being the same (or mistaken identities).

The Florida panther, on the other hand, is a specific, highly endangered creature native to the area, making the Florida Panthers moniker actually very clever and appropriate for what seems like nothing more than generic 90s sports marketing.
PantherPoster.jpg

On an unrelated, but still interesting note...the Pitt Panthers and Penn State Nittany Lions are both named after the same animal.

If I'm not mistaken, this cat is much bigger than the so-called Black Panther(Jaguar), right?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I never liked the Panthers Jersey or logo. Dont really think the new one will be good. It will probably be something like the coyotes logo. So bland. Like the Carolina Panthers logo posted in the 1st page

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I loved that jersey.
Well, it started out as a third. But then they made it the mains and didn't have a red at all. If the blues were just the 3rds I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Red is our teams' color, they should have never have stopped that.

The jerseys should be something like this:

vhrPUlN.jpg

Some variation of that, maybe modernize it, and roll with that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sorry if I missed this in previous posts but, when are they planning on showing the new design?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Panthers should definitely be red since the Lightning decided to go blue. If we were still black I wouldn't care though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad