GDT: Florida @ Caps, 3/7/2013 @ 7:00 PM

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Man, the love for Lawrence Nycholat v2.0 is hilarious.

I'll take any improvement we can get. He may not be the superstar everyone wants, but he is holding his own. I rather have him in the lineup than Schultz. The guy at least hits and not afraid. When Green comes back, I rather have Schultz sitting, waived, traded. Only two games though, we'll see what he can do over the next three.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Devils let us in and then didn't put up any fight. They've been slumping hard since. Bruins were tired as hell but at least they fought back/made it hard til the end. I'm more fond of a 45 minute effort against a tough opponent than a 60 minute effort against Stan Marsh's pee wee hockey team.

I agree with you. Next season we're going to see a lot of tough opponents. This season, I'll take what we can get.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'll take any improvement we can get. He may not be the superstar everyone wants, but he is holding his own. I rather have him in the lineup than Schultz. The guy at least hits and not afraid. When Green comes back, I rather have Schultz sitting, waived, traded. Only two games though, we'll see what he can do over the next three.

Except when/if Green comes back one of the other righties will have to make room for him not Schultz or Poti.

Halpysback*

Hopefully Green doesn't come back. The difference in this team with him vs Orrlesky in the lineup is night and day.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Did Nycholat ever show any kind of upside or anything positive like Oleksy has so far? Don't think so.

Sloan did. As did Collins. And Kyle Wilson. And Fahey.

The list is long of AHL fodder that looks good in their first handful of games before being exposed.

I mean, good for Orrleksy. He's playing like he wants to earn the job and has put together a couple of credible performances. But the hype train is in danger of running off the rails.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hopefully Green doesn't come back. The difference in this team with him vs Orrlesky in the lineup is night and day.

Too small of a sample size to say, but you might be on to something. Too early to consider moving Green for assets, especially while he's injured. Sad to say, but Green is a shell of his former self.

Edit: I do think he's improved tremendously defensively.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Sloan did. As did Collins. And Kyle Wilson. And Fahey.

The list is long of AHL fodder that looks good in their first handful of games before being exposed.

I mean, good for Orrleksy. He's playing like he wants to earn the job and has put together a couple of credible performances. But the hype train is in danger of running off the rails.

I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be special.

The consensus is, at the very least he is better than Sarge and Poti.

And I'm happy with that right now.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Orrlesky is living the dream now, making as much in a week as he does in a season in the A. Good for him. The bloom will fade, and he'll be more than likely sent back to the dust heap.

Halpysback*

Team plays different with Green in the lineup. He looks great, everyone else looks bad cause Greenie is always in his own little world and no one's surfing the same wave as he is. Olafsky keeps it simple, puts pucks on nets and forwards on their ass.

Move Green for a good LW or LD to complement Olegtverdovsky on the shutdown pairing and be done with it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be special.

The consensus is, at the very least he is better than Sarge and Poti.

And I'm happy with that right now.

Well he is the shiny new toy so there is that but for the most part it is simply because nobody has figured out why he is a 27 year old journeyman getting his first taste of the NHL now. There is a reason, probably many, and we simply haven't seen enough of him yet. It will come...

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Well he is the shiny new toy so there is that but for the most part it is simply because nobody has figured out why he is a 27 year old journeyman getting his first taste of the NHL now. There is a reason, probably many, and we simply haven't seen enough of him yet. It will come...

There is also a chance that he is an exception to that rule. That he developed very slowly and can be a solid contributor.

We don't know what he is right now.

Lets give the guy some time and see what exactly he is.

But for now, he's had two fine games. Agreed?

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver

Well it came for Schultz a long time ago and he ended up with 2.5 million a year

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well it came for Schultz a long time ago and he ended up with 2.5 million a year

Schultz signed that deal after his +50 season. While plenty wanted more from him after that nobody was saying he wasn't an NHL player. Give Olesky some time to expose his flaws for everyone to see...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So you think if he keeps this up, he wont challenge Kundratek for that 6th spot?

I don't see how he doesn't,.....he brings elements of the game Kundratek's play doesn't.
The only reason he'd challenge anyone for that 6th spot of the healthy defense is his handedness--that's why he's on the roster, after all.

Watch him a bit more closely next game. He gets bullied around the net (Matthias drove off the half-wall right into the slot on the play that generated the goal), he doesn't skate with the puck, he rarely pinches, and he made one outlet pass that wasn't to his defensive partner or indirect off the boards (his second assist).

Other than physical maturity, I don't know what he brings to the game that Kundratek doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad