GDT: Florida @ Caps, 3/7/2013 @ 7:00 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Hershey is Hershey. The guy played 2 good games in DC. I don't blame people for looking back at Hershey to try to get an idea of what to expect down the road.

I wonder if he's playing above his norm. Maybe one of our beat writers will ask about it. If this IS his norm, then he's a solid 3rd pair guy IMO. But I think it's more likely that he's jacked up on adrenaline and playing above himself. Either way, as soon as one of the regular righties comes back, he's gone.

No chance if he continues to hit and clear the crease. It will be Schultz or Poti (most likely both) riding the pine.

The "kid" brings the hammer down and we so need that!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
His salary would make him one of the average paid players in the AHL and is close to league min. I dont see the big deal about the 3 years

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
How soon we forget Sloan's first game in Calgary where he blew up Langkow with one of the biggest hits we've seen from a Caps' defenseman in ages and then dropped the gloves with Bourque.

I can only remember this game from Sloan

Regarding ORRlesky, I'm not jumping on his bandwagon just yet, but he brings something that has been for the most part lacking along our blue line, physicality to the game. In two games he's had two nice hits and the best hip check I've seen from a Caps for sometime.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
His salary would make him one of the average paid players in the AHL and is close to league min. I dont see the big deal about the 3 years

It's got nothing to do with salary, but with the precedent it sets in contract negotiation and the potential it creates a problem in contract slot flexibility for a completely unproven, non-prospect commodity.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
No chance if he continues to hit and clear the crease. It will be Schultz or Poti (most likely both) riding the pine.

Didn't we just intentionally get rid of the hammer?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The last two nights he has. Hard to be effective when you miss half the season the past few years.

If you're saying he's had more of a positive influence than Green over the past two games? Sure.

If you're saying his influence over the past two games is better than Green's over his tenure, or even when he's in the lineup this season? ********.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but recent history tells us that there are only three spots for right-handers on this blue line. Handedness appears to be king.

He's not going to take a spot from Green or Carlson. That leaves Kundratek, who has a much larger sample of play against tougher opposition. I did like seeing Oleksy's minutes bumped up against Florida when the game was out of hand. It gave us a chance to see him in some tougher minutes and rested the top guys a little.

I agree that the Caps need what he brings, but I don't see who he bumps on the right side.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I wouldn't mind seeing that, but recent history tells us that there are only three spots for right-handers on this blue line. Handedness appears to be king.

He's not going to take a spot from Green or Carlson. That leaves Kundratek, who has a much larger sample of play against tougher opposition. I did like seeing Oleksy's minutes bumped up against Florida when the game was out of hand. It gave us a chance to see him in some tougher minutes and rested the top guys a little.

I agree that the Caps need what he brings, but I don't see who he bumps on the right side.

I think you are right now that I read the other thread and Oates' insightful comments.

We have alot of competition at RD it seems. Tough choices then. I can see him platooning with Kundratek but man do we sorely need that physical presence.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If you're saying he's had more of a positive influence than Green over the past two games? Sure.

If you're saying his influence over the past two games is better than Green's over his tenure, or even when he's in the lineup this season? ********.

I never said anything like that. Also, Green's tenure has nothing to do with this conversation. But if you'd like to bring it up, we can.

When he's been in the line up this year we were playing terrible hockey on both ends of the ice. Since he's been injured we've lost once, I believe. That's a combination of factors, including familiarity with the system, but you're making it out like Green is having the impact this season that he had when he was twice a Norris candidate. He's not, not even close, and it's more than probable that he'll never be that player or close to him again.

Right now Green is what he is, a 27 yard former game changer who hasn't been able to stay healthy the past three seasons. I want him to be the player he was as much as anyone, but he's on IR, again, and the team is moving forward.

In the mean time, perhaps enjoy Oleksy's game a little and leave the 3 year forecasting out of it. He's playing well and has significantly contributed to the past two wins.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I never said anything like that. Also, Green's tenure has nothing to do with this conversation. But if you'd like to bring it up, we can.

When he's been in the line up this year we were playing terrible hockey on both ends of the ice. Since he's been injured we've lost once, I believe. That's a combination of factors, including familiarity with the system, but you're making it out like Green is having the impact this season that he had when he was twice a Norris candidate. He's not, not even close, and it's more than probable that he'll never be that player or close to him again.

Right now Green is what he is, a 27 yard former game changer who hasn't been able to stay healthy the past three seasons. I want him to be the player he was as much as anyone, but he's on IR, again, and the team is moving forward.

In the mean time, perhaps enjoy Oleksy's game a little and leave the 3 year forecasting out of it. He's playing well and has significantly contributed to the past two wins.
Green was playing the best defensive hockey of his career while playing among the most ice time in the league before he went down, and you're purporting that he had little positive impact. The team's improved play as absolutely nothing to do with Green going down. It's much more to do with the goaltending improving massively, Fehr breaking out, and improved execution of the system.

And the sentiment that Oleksy had a more positive influence on the team than Green is what I was attacking, because it's beyond absurd.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That doesn't change the fact that at this point Schutlz is not an NHL level player.

That is garbage. If the Caps waived Schultz today he definitely gets picked up and goes on to a long NHL career. Like Semin I hope Schultz moves on so we can have wonderful discussions with the peanut gallery around here about how much his new team values him.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
As soon as that deal got done i knew it was a big mistake. That +50 was when he was playing with green at his prime and often that pairing got time with ovie in his prime. He got paid 2.5 for riding the coatails of guys tearing it up. Hes big, soft and slow. For years i couldnt understand why they would put 55 in instead of erskine etc. i always thought erskine at least brought toughness and grit. BUY BEAKER OUT!

Erskine has been given a decent number of chances in the past to play a top 4 role and it didn't take long for him to become overwhelmed and exposed. This year he has handled it much better without a doubt.

I have absolutely no doubt that like Semin if Schultz gets out of this organization he will thrive and many will be sitting around wondering where that guy was in his last few years in DC.

On a side note is your name a Jim Norton reference?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think you are right now that I read the other thread and Oates' insightful comments.

We have alot of competition at RD it seems. Tough choices then. I can see him platooning with Kundratek but man do we sorely need that physical presence.

It is tough, because he's made a case for himself in his two games. But with things like waiver eligibility and 23-man roster and such coming into play, it doesn't look good for him.

LD: Alzner, Erskine, Poti, Schultz
RD: Carlson, Kundratek, Oleksy

That works. But add (let's say Green) back, and suddenly it doesn't work so well.

LD: Alzner, Erskine, Poti, Schultz (all would have to go through waivers to be sent down)
RD: Green, Carlson, Kundratek, Oleksy (Green and Carlson would have to pass waivers)

So now, unless you want to carry 8 D on the roster or risk losing a guy to waivers, you're essentially pigeonholed into choosing between Kundratek and Oleksy. Of the two, Kundratek has the larger body of work at the NHL level.

I don't like a platooning situation. IMO that would be bad for the development of both Kundratek and Oleksy (and yes, I think Oleksy has room to grow, based on Oates' comment about his improvement this year).

Of course, how long it'll be until a RD gets healthy is anybody's guess, so there's a fair chance we'll continue to see both of them for a while.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
It is tough, because he's made a case for himself in his two games. But with things like waiver eligibility and 23-man roster and such coming into play, it doesn't look good for him.

That works. But add (let's say Green) back, and suddenly it doesn't work so well.

LD: Alzner, Erskine, Poti, Schultz (all would have to go through waivers to be sent down)
RD: Green, Carlson, Kundratek, Oleksy (Green and Carlson would have to pass waivers)

So now, unless you want to carry 8 D on the roster or risk losing a guy to waivers, you're essentially pigeonholed into choosing between Kundratek and Oleksy. Of the two, Kundratek has the larger body of work at the NHL level.

I don't like a platooning situation. IMO that would be bad for the development of both Kundratek and Oleksy (and yes, I think Oleksy has room to grow, based on Oates' comment about his improvement this year).

Of course, how long it'll be until a RD gets healthy is anybody's guess, so there's a fair chance we'll continue to see both of them for a while.

With Green's re-injury, GMGM caution, short season, and plentiful D players, i suspect we won't see Green for 1-2+ months.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space

All good observations here. I think they will be extremely catious with both Green and Orlov until they have a chance to evaluate these guys even further.

If both Green and Orlov come back then I suppose they have no choice but to sit both these promising players.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Erskine has been given a decent number of chances in the past to play a top 4 role and it didn't take long for him to become overwhelmed and exposed. This year he has handled it much better without a doubt.

I have absolutely no doubt that like Semin if Schultz gets out of this organization he will thrive and many will be sitting around wondering where that guy was in his last few years in DC.

On a side note is your name a Jim Norton reference?

Well i guess if other teams are desperate for slow, soft d-men. Then yeah ur right. And yeah it is from jim norton.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the wild card is Orlov.

Has he fallen to 5 on the RD depth chart, or is he automatically our 3RD?

While he will be in Hershey to start, I have a feeling someone is not going to be happy....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Green was playing the best defensive hockey of his career while playing among the most ice time in the league before he went down, and you're purporting that he had little positive impact. The team's improved play as absolutely nothing to do with Green going down. It's much more to do with the goaltending improving massively, Fehr breaking out, and improved execution of the system.

And the sentiment that Oleksy had a more positive influence on the team than Green is what I was attacking, because it's beyond absurd.

I agree with you on his defense, and have stated that Green was playing his best defensive hockey when he got hurt. I also agree there's no way a guy who has played two games has had more of an influence than Green.

But facts are facts, and the fact is that Green is hurt again and the team hasn't missed a beat without him. In fact they're playing the best hockey of the season while he's on IR. His impact is no where near what it once was, and it's been that way for a few years.

I think you're so set on betting against and downplaying Oleksy's impact because you want to say, "I told you so" regarding the term on his contract. We get it, you don't like that GMGM signed him for 3 years. But he, and the Caps, are playing well right now so who cares, just let it ride and see what happens.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Seems like a polarizing figure already. I've brushed through this thread and it is very apparent that the same posters who are being negative towards him are the EXACT same ones who have shown their lack of appreciation for physical play based and pretty much every one of their positions for the past 7 or 8 years I've been around. Not suprising or shocking.

My predictions for how Oleksy ends up working out has absolutely nothing to do with his style of play. I 100% understand why so many like him so much. At 6' 190 lbs and playing the way he does I bet there are quite a few Caps fans who see a little of themselves in him. He's not big, he's not fast, he's not quick, he's not particularly skilled, but without a doubt he is playing hard.

I want him to succeed but long term I just don't see it happening and I would say the same thing if he was playing a Housley style of game.

I want to be wrong because I agree that he brings something this team sorely needs on it's 3rd pairing.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think the wild card is Orlov.

Has he fallen to 5 on the RD depth chart, or is he automatically our 3RD?

While he will be in Hershey to start, I have a feeling someone is not going to be happy....

And being a lefty and given Oates' slavish devotion to defensemen being on their 'correct' side should we even consider Orlov a right defenseman anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad