Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He needs to bulk up after his growth spur (he said it himself). It might make more sense to stay as a overager, get used to that new weight and keep getting reps at C.

A big part of his game is physicality but it won’t translate automatically vs men in the AHL. He probably gets traded to a contender also if he comes back.
I don't subscribe to the mother hen philosophy. Saying it might... isn't a good argument. It might as well be the opposite also, where he thinks his draft was just because he's the brother of the other. That plays with their minds as well. I don't see why he would have anything to gain playing against players 3 years younger than him. He can bulk up with the men, not the boys.

If the player is a good pick, you pit him against tough odds.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Florian only has 2 OHL seasons under his belt.

And while he is a nice surprise, he is not too good for this league.

Bring him along slowly and let him dominate in his 3rd Ohl year.

Pat Kane was too good for the OHL. Same for McDavid.

Xhekaj is just playing well
Mailloux only has 75 OHL games, and look at him in the AHL.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If he's technically allowed to play in the AHL, and he can compete at that level, I don't see why we'd want him to go back to the OHL. He's 6'4" ~200 lbs, he's not getting any intangibles out of playing juniors.

I think the only way he goes back to the OHL is to get more time at center as to me that's where he has to be developed now until he shows he can't. He's been much better on face-offs then I would have expected so as of now I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Laval next season but a lot can happen between now and Sept so to me there's no rush, the Habs can take their time to figure this out.

Surfer72

Oct 18, 2018
Took my son to the Niagara Icedogs game last night. Florian got a nice one timer goal and a messy assist earlier in the game. He looked good, he hits, always skating which was nice to see. He stood out from the rest of the players on the ice. Not sure if it was his play or the fact I was always on the lookout for him specifically...well him and #13 Sobolev.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Took my son to the Niagara Icedogs game last night. Florian got a nice one timer goal and a messy assist earlier in the game. He looked good, he hits, always skating which was nice to see. He stood out from the rest of the players on the ice. Not sure if it was his play or the fact I was always on the lookout for him specifically...well him and #13 Sobolev.

he makes things happen out there, with his frame he's hard to miss and he just does a lot at both ends of the ice. What's surprised me the most is how well he seems to do in the dot as moving to center during the season is not an easy task while being on one of the best teams in the OHL.

An interesting prospect for sure, if he can keep progressing he's going to be a ton of fun to watch.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Suzuki played 4 yrs in the OHL. Xhekaj can definitely play another year in the O
100%……he’s only played 2yrs in the O, another year to dominate this league will do him wonders!!

Would be nice to see Brantford go deep in the upcoming playoffs, Memorial Cup too!!

Not sure who’s staying and who’s going next year in Brantford, but it’s important for Florian to see another deep playoff run with either Brantford or another team with a legit shot at a MC participation.

This kid is impressive!

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I don't know if you can call him a late bloomer since he lost his entire 20-21 season and did not play.

It looks like his career has been shifted one year back.

He has been named an all-rookie team the following year by dominating with the pelham panthers by a fair margin in points in the gojhl. You need more than fists to earn those kind of awards. He then went from a successful bottom-6 to a successful top-six forward in the OHL.

Earlier this season, I was reading about a potential 30 goals season for Florian. I thought I would be pretty stocked if that happened. I thought of him as pezzetta's replacement as a fixture as a fourth-line LW. He may have enough to be a third-line LW or fourth line center when it is all said and done.

One fun and interesting prospect to follow this season.

Reactions: Scintillating10

JT3

May 27, 2013
I've commented about it a couple times around the boards but I would definitely send him back for an overage year. He's showing that he has legitimate C potential and has grown his all around game a ton this season. Let him go back and continue to work on that while being a leader on his team. If you send him to the AHL next season he is likely pigeon-holed into a bottom line W spot and I worry that just results in him running around playing a goon style game. We know he can do that already, I want to know if he can do more than that, so going back to junior is the best option imo.

Reactions: jrom and MadMslm

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can't take any credit for it, his mom calls him that online
Did he score a goal for Kosovo Independence Day light his Big Bro did? :D

Wont the OHL be too easy for Florian next year?
If he's playing center and Laval are weak at center Laval may be in his future.
I'd love to have that 6'4" center in our Pro System who isn't constantly on the IRL. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad