Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think it's more what he's been doing lately then since the start of the season.

He has 14G and 12 A in his last 26 games.

10 goals in his last 10 games

The progression has been crazy

Watching the Rangers last night, it would be amazing if he became a Will Cuylle type player.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'm starting to think he was steal in the fourth round.

Florian Xhekaj definitely has nice NHL upside. He could be a (taller, meaner) Brock Mcginn type of player for us with some more positive development, and that's absolutely awesome value for a fourth-round draft pick if he ever gets there.

That said, to me personally draft "steals" entail getting ridiculous value out of later picks, guys like Jamie Benn, Ondrej Palat, Henrik Zetterberg, and others of that ilk.

As such, I really don't think I will ever personally call Florian Xhekaj a "steal", but I sure hope he makes me eat those words and I agree that this pick looks better by the day like you implied.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Bend it like Bedard Florian

1000001347.jpg

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Where does Florian play next season? He will be an overager if he remains in the OHL. He can play in Laval next season but may not be ready for pro.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
OHL as an overage player.
The use if the term overage really makes little sense using on a player who is drafted in his second year of eligibility. Makes more sense to use on a player in is 3rd year of draft eligibility

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Where does Florian play next season? He will be an overager if he remains in the OHL. He can play in Laval next season but may not be ready for pro.
I'd like him to play AHL and see how he adjusts to it. If he struggles there's always the ECHL.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The use if the term overage really makes little sense using on a player who is drafted in his second year of eligibility. Makes more sense to use on a player in is 3rd year of draft eligibility
Overage is determined by age, not draft status.

I'd like him to play AHL and see how he adjusts to it. If he struggles there's always the ECHL.
I would rather see him in the OHL than ECHL.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Overage is determined by age, not draft status.

I would rather see him in the OHL than ECHL.
The idea being that he plays against bigger, meaner players than he would find in the OHL. See if he can adjust to that. If he's going to play a robust game, better to learn to do it against real opposition over pushing kids about the ice.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The idea being that he plays against bigger, meaner players than he would find in the OHL. See if he can adjust to that. If he's going to play a robust game, better to learn to do it against real opposition over pushing kids about the ice.
His skill set is still in early development being a late bloomer. I would rather have him concentrate on his skills (skating, stickhandling, shot) than on fighting dummies in the ECHL.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree.

Facing a stronger level of competition will spur greater development. Look at Slafkovsky.

Right now, FX is relying too much on his size advantage playing against 17 and 18 year olds. That can result in developing bad habits.

The more I watch this kid, the more I feel his pathway to the NHL is not as long or farfetched as some think. This is not a player that is solely trading off on his name recognition.

It would not surprise me if he gains a bit more quickness, that he makes the AHL next year. I can’t see FX being that much less effective than Kidney has been this year.

Last edited:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I agree.

Facing a stronger level of competition will spur greater development. Look at Slafkovsky.

Right now, FX is relying too much on his size advantage playing against 17 and 18 year olds. That can result in developing bad habits.

The more I watch this kid, the more I feel his pathway to the NHL is not as long or farfetched as some think. This is not a player that is trading off on his name recognition.

It would not surprise me if he gains a bit more quickness, that he makes the AHL next year. I can’t see him being that much less effective than Kidney is this year.
Exactly! I get the feeling he, like his brother, would rise to the challenge. Seems the Xhekaj family is a hard-nosed, blue collar group and facing tougher opposition now could help him become an absolute beast in the NHL. A 3rd or 4th line menace that could also chip in points.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
If he's technically allowed to play in the AHL, and he can compete at that level, I don't see why we'd want him to go back to the OHL. He's 6'4" ~200 lbs, he's not getting any intangibles out of playing juniors.

He needs to bulk up after his growth spur (he said it himself). It might make more sense to stay as a overager, get used to that new weight and keep getting reps at C.

A big part of his game is physicality but it won’t translate automatically vs men in the AHL. He probably gets traded to a contender also if he comes back.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Florian only has 2 OHL seasons under his belt.

And while he is a nice surprise, he is not too good for this league.

Bring him along slowly and let him dominate in his 3rd Ohl year.

Pat Kane was too good for the OHL. Same for McDavid.

Xhekaj is just playing well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad